Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Burnt out clutch?

[QUOTE=azrider;4359503]There could be just a defeacive Clutch but we all know that doesn't happen with Aprilia's./QUOTE]
    hehe... I was having a read of the dorsoduro forum. Seems they've gone through a few there. I guess I might have to back off on my current theory that if the TC light isn't flashing I haven't launched hard enough

apriliaforum prov-nov
    actuator rod binding sounds like. Heard of that happening but clutch spring should be strong enough to overcome. Don't know. Tell us what you find.

[QUOTE=dsgfh;4360558]
    Quote Originally Posted by azrider View Post
    There could be just a defeacive Clutch but we all know that doesn't happen with Aprilia's./QUOTE]
    hehe... I was having a read of the dorsoduro forum. Seems they've gone through a few there. I guess I might have to back off on my current theory that if the TC light isn't flashing I haven't launched hard enough
    Any update on the clutch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2010 Shiver had a slipping clutch as five of the six clutch springs were broken. Quite common in first generation Shivers. Not sure if this applies to Capos, but easy to check.
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

Finally! Parts have arrived from Europe & are sitting in my garage waiting for me to have a spare moment to fit them. Maybe easter?

Just need to pick up some oil & I'm good to go. Wonder if my better half can just slide dinner out into the garage on a tray?

A final update.
    So I found time last week to pull the clutch apart. Turns out the parts diagram I used for ordering was 1 steel plate short, so I had to pick the best of the lot to reuse. This is definitely not what a friction plate should look like though

I'd definitely killed it. I suspect during the first 18 months commuting without the performance optimiser in the exhaust where I was basically permanently on the clutch, then it's degraded from there.

New plates

In the end I replaced the friction & steel plates, along with the springs (which were visually fine, but better safe than sorry). The clutch was a little grabby after the service & bleeding the clutch, but has come good in a few days.

Bike's back on the road & very happy with itself. Job took about 45 minutes, most of which was spent fishing out the plates until I found myself a strong magnet to grab them out.

I ended up having a problem getting my usual Motul from the dealer (they only had v300 race grade), so I'm running penrite full synth which was 60% the price.

Nice job. Thanks for including the photos. How satisfying, having done the work yourself.

Thanks for posting the update. Perhaps I'll be having to do this at some stage in the near future, since I do a lot of commuting. Good outcome and glad to hear you're back on the road with the Caponord.

Quote Originally Posted by SudEst View Post
    Thanks for posting the update. Perhaps I'll be having to do this at some stage in the near future, since I do a lot of commuting. Good outcome and glad to hear you're back on the road with the Caponord.
    I've always been heavy on the clutch to smooth out fueling. An old bad habit from riding a 2-stroke perhaps. Having bought the bike when it first came out in 2013, I found the fuelling of my bike rubbish for commuting. Something I didn't pick up on the test ride. It was a couple of years at least before I got the performance optimiser on the thing, but since then I'm no where near as heavy on the clutch as I used to be.
    I burned out the clutch on that NSR 2-stroke too BTW. A dry clutch is so much cleaner to rebuild :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12