Thread: Why is a low battery a sprag shagger?

Why is a low battery a sprag shagger?

Ok, so my Falco had a bit of a hiccup starting the other day, after my forced 3 month lay-off. I hadn't charged the battery since it went into the garage but despite that it started ok when I needed to refit/fill the oil cooler a couple of days ago. The process required 5 or 6 starts with two running for 10 minutes after the fans came on, checking oil levels etc.

Fast forward to yesterday. I took out out for a 20 mile run, stopped for fuel and when I re-started the bike it was a little sluggish. Hmmm, ok I thought I'd best leave it running at my next stop. However, like a clutz I managed to clip the gear lever when I kicked the stand out and stalled the bike. When I started it for the third time there was a distinct clunk as the starter engaged and the engine turned over. It started ok but obviously my first thought was with the clunk and since then it's been in the garage on the charger. I've not started it since, but am expecting to need to look at the sprag in the near future.

So, my question is .. Why is the sprag damaged with low voltage starts? and secondarily, why are there so many subsequent starting or non-starting issues following a failed sprag replacement?

G

Quote Originally Posted by Greggers View Post
    So, my question is .. Why is the sprag damaged with low voltage starts? and secondarily, why are there so many subsequent starting or non-starting issues following a failed sprag replacement?
    The answer to the first seems to be that wen you are having starting problems you naturally are working the starter much more than normal. I don't think the second is true if the underlying starting problem is fixed.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU