Thread: RSVR Gen 2 motor into Falco ... Green Light = GO!

RSVR Gen 2 motor into Falco ... Green Light = GO!

Ok, well, not quite 'GO' as in finished, but getting started!

I picked up an old, well toasted Falco motor to play with and get my bearings regarding the work before committing my own motor to the project, and in all honesty I don't think it's going to be so hard to do.

I'll be moving the cam sensor from G1 to G2, swapping the trigger cam sprocket from G1 to G2, grinding out the cast web inside the G1 front cam cover to install on G2 front cylinder, cutting a small slot into the rear of the G2 head for the cable from the relocated G1 cam sensor. The donor Falco motor didn't have the rotor/stator assembly fitted - I guess because the sprag went and lunched parts of it as there's a huge gouge in the mounted plate behind the stator - so I'll need to swap those items from my Falco when the job is in progress.

I'll also need to source the adaptor loom for the 57mm TBs I've got, or just leave the Falco's 51s in place if I'm being a lazy arse. No, I'll put the 57s on lol.

Exhausts - I've got 4 stud headers and a pair of Aprilia Racing cans which I'll be coring.

Now, the interesting bit... in the past I got some big HP gains from a GSXR750 by swapping the exhaust cam for an inlet cam, and timing to 107/109. As I've got some spare cams from the donor Falco to experiment with does anyone have any knowledge of camshaft profiles to say whether there's going to be anything gained by doing a similar swap ??

Any thoughts or feedback would be welcomed!

Greg

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Just finished my engine swap. Here's a few things I came across. First, getting the motor back into the frame. Let's just say its awkward. The sprocket casting fouls the rear cross member if you do a straight lift, so the rear has to be jiggled into place first. Then, when you lift the front up, a square casting on the R/H side of the front cyl head jams in the frame beam, (The other side has the cam box jutting out). Simplist, just dremel the square bit off! It might sound a bit medieval but it lets everything slot into place easily. Looks like its a left over from some other application as it has an M6 tapping in it.
    I also wrestled with the old hoses. Sprung for a brand new set, no point in spoiling the ship for a ha porth of tar.
    Fit the rear exhaust pipe while the engine is free, lets you jiggle it about to get to the nuts, probably easier with the four stud fixing.
    I used a trolley jack at the back and an overhead hoist with a strap round the bracket between the throttle bodies, one man job, two sets of hands would have been easier.
    Good luck!

Cheers JD..

I've just started the cam sprocket transplant - swapping both Falco sprockets with the RSV-R's and installing the camshaft position sensor on the front cam bearing... I'm getting a bit jiggly about drilling the RSV head for the CPS cable, but it's got to be done lolz..

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Ha! Still putting things right. I removed the temp. sensor, (front cyl, R/H side, the one UNDER all the coolant pipework) to avoid damage when getting the motor in. Been chasing a little, spurty leak once it gets up to running temp. Thought it was a pinhole in a hose, but turns out to be the sensor not seating properly. Thats another coolant drain and hoses removed to get to it. Just a heads up.
    Cheers.

apriliaforum expert northern phil's Avatar
    Thers loads of info on this in the tuono or rsv section. Message gabro for a hybrid chip for your ecu. get it running for next year. go 16/42 on the gearing then hold onto your hat and twist that throttle.