Thread: Check valve clearance

apriliaforum Member

Check valve clearance

I would like to attempt to measure the valve clearance on my bike (20,500 km, street use only).

Thanks to forum member rocketnz I have a manual in which the procedure is described.

Questions:

- the manual specifies to check the valve clearance when reassembling the cylinder heads, holding the cam shafts in place with the thumb. Is this necessary? Is it possible to measure the valve clearance without disassembling the entire cylinder head, timing chain, camshaft holders etc?

- if I need to change a shim, can that be done with the engine in the frame or would I need to disassemble the cylinder head anyway?

- I have measured valve clearance on Japanese inline 4-cylinder engines, where one always turns the crank shaft to a certain indicated position, then measures certain inlet and outlet valves, then turn the crank shaft again and measure the remaining valves. OK, if the timing chain is off you don't need to bother but with the timing chain etc in place, is there any way to turn the crank shaft to set the correct measurement conditions?

At the moment, there are no strange noises. If it is needed to disassemble the entire cylinder head I am not sure if I am up for the job - or stated more clearly, I guess I am up to the job but I would really like to avoid it.
    2003 RS250 - stock
    2003 RSV Mille R - some modifications

You get the valve covers open and measure the clearance the lobes towards the sky. You need a biggish hex key to rotate the engine from stator side after you have removed the plastic plug (same hex size). The front left valve cover bolt on front cylinder is a pain in the ass so be patient and sure you've got it when you open it not to round it off.

That is it for the measurement.
    Mille Aarrr -02 (1060 BB, Gen2 heads, 2-2 Akra, timed cams, PCIII & Gabro chip + TSS slipper) & KTM 625 SXC -05
    My riding lines are like Hendrix's solos. Unexpected and always different.

apriliaforum Member
    Checked mine a last winter.
    To get the front cam cover off you need to prop up tank, remove airbox and remove throttle bodies (but you can leave cables connected).
    Rear cover is a pita with the tank on the bike, 2 minute job with it off. The front cover left side bolt needs a UJ to get an Allen headed drive on it.
    To get to the front cover front left bolt you need to get at it from the front of the engine.
    I rotated my engine to put the cams in the correct position by removing the plugs, putting it in a high gear and rotating the back wheel.
    You don't need to disassemble the heads and shims can be replaced with the engine in the frame.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevex View Post
    Checked mine a last winter.
    To get the front cam cover off you need to prop up tank, remove airbox and remove throttle bodies (but you can leave cables connected).
    Rear cover is a pita with the tank on the bike, 2 minute job with it off. The front cover left side bolt needs a UJ to get an Allen headed drive on it.
    To get to the front cover front left bolt you need to get at it from the front of the engine.
    I rotated my engine to put the cams in the correct position by removing the plugs, putting it in a high gear and rotating the back wheel.
    You don't need to disassemble the heads and shims can be replaced with the engine in the frame.
    What is an "UJ"?

I will remove the tank in its entirety, it is my experience that this kind of job is much easier if you have easy access. Besides, I am not on a clock :-)) I also considered rotating the rear wheel, I just wandered whether that would even be possible given the friction of the engine.

OK, this job is on the calendar for December or January.
    2003 RS250 - stock

Universal joint.

If you put the transmission in sixth gear you can turn the engine via the rear wheel fairly easily.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

or pull the cap plug off the fly wheel then use the flywheel bolt to spin it in neutral
    0̶̶̶6̶̶̶ ̶̶̶A̶̶̶p̶̶̶r̶̶̶i̶̶̶l̶̶̶i̶̶̶a̶̶̶ ̶̶̶S̶̶̶X̶̶̶V̶̶̶ ̶4̶5̶0̶
    99 Aprilia RSV 1000 Mille

apriliaforum Member
    Could somebody tell me the part number for the "Valve cover gasket"? I have a parts manual (PDF) which shows the valve cover gaskets on page 58, part 2, but there is no part number indicated. I notice that the front and rear cylinder have the same valve cover gasket.
    2003 RS250 - stock

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WvR View Post
    Could somebody tell me the part number for the "Valve cover gasket"? I have a parts manual (PDF) which shows the valve cover gaskets on page 58, part 2, but there is no part number indicated. I notice that the front and rear cylinder have the same valve cover gasket.
    AP0650345

Wysłane z mojego D2303 przy użyciu Tapatalka

apriliaforum Member
    Thanks, I will try to order that part!
    2003 RS250 - stock