Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPM indicator lights

apriliaforum newb

RPM indicator lights

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I purchased an Aprilia Mana 850 naked a month ago for a daily commuter. I like the bike very much and maybe I will use it for touring also (I have a second bike).

I have been trying out the manual gear change setting (sport gear mode). In the user manual is stated that the 4 lights above the display should indicate a rpm range (RPM1, RPM2 and RPM3 all amber, RPM4 red).

Did anyone of you ever see these lights working?

Name:  gear.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  16.3 KB

I lit some of them up once when I was manually shifting. The lights seems to signal:
    -You should probably shift now
    -shift now!
    -seriously, shift NOW!
    -SHIFT NOW DAMMIT!
    ;-)
    I just ride in Touring mode most of the time and Sport the odd time, I quite enjoy the automatic.
    Tim

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

apriliaforum Member
    Yes mine work but only in sport mode, but like TimSR I do not use sport very often I am quite happy in touring mode.
    Keith

You're not flogging it hard enough. You won't see them in the auto modes unless, probably, you are riding down a vertical mineshaft with a following gale. In the 'Sport Gear' mode you can bounce it off the rev limiter, just hold it open in a lower gear until it goes 'Blurp-Blurp-Blurp'!

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

The Mana engine has such a flat power curve that the lights are really redundant. I think they are only there to warn you that the rev limiter will cut in if you don't up shift. Most of us use the auto sport or touring modes as they allow you to get on with the job of riding without the additional distraction of making sure you're in the right gear. That's why the bike is such a good commuter, it allows you to concentrate on the traffic, knowing it will always be in the right gear for any manoeuvre.
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

There are no *Gears* Andy, in 'Sport Gear' mode it just locks the pulleys in certain positions. IMHO its inclusion was a completely un-neccessary wank. In fact of the four modes the only one that is really neccessary is 'Touring' as acceleration is virtually identical in both 'Sport' and 'Tour' it's just that the motor feels more frenetic and vibrates more as the engine speed is higher in 'Sport'. I love the way the power delivery is in 'Tour', 'Sport' makes it feel like a cheap sex aid and please don't let us plumb the Stygian depths of 'Rain'! If you go there you need a bus pass and sheltered accommodation!
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks for the quick replies. I now searched the forum and found out the rpm lights start illuminating above 6500rpm. My daily route doesn't provide enough space to try that.

Driving in manual sport mode is all part of getting to know the bike. Touring mode is the best, rain mode is dreadful. Manual sport mode could be usefull (read fun) to use on a mountain pass. If I will ever go there on the Mana is the question.

For now I love the bike and I like driving to and from work. I would like to mount a rev counter and have read some tips about that already.

Just a picture for the curious ones. Also have the OEM windscreen and top case.

I know there are no 'gears' as such, Pete, I just use the term as a quick short hand. My GT pretty much lives in touring mode, but I have found sport mode is good for hilly routes with lots of steep climbs or descents.
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

apriliaforum prov-nov
    No sheltered accommodation as yet Pete, but the bus pass has recently arrived.. So far it's unused.....
    Al.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    I know there are no 'gears' as such, Pete, I just use the term as a quick short hand. My GT pretty much lives in touring mode, but I have found sport mode is good for hilly routes with lots of steep climbs or descents.
    Which brand flipup screen is mounted on your bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Arjan View Post
    Which brand flipup screen is mounted on your bike?
    It's an X-creen touring. There is a smaller sport version as well. It just clips on the edge of the stock GT screen and makes a massive difference as the airflow no longer hits me in the visor. Here's a link to the MRA web site - http://www.mra.de/en/x-creen

They are available through lots of places including amazon etc.

apriliaforum newb
    I installed a rev counter. Didn't check if it works ok yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-12-16 09.45.07.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	354.6 KB 
ID:	348071

apriliaforum newb
    And does it work as good as mine?

Yes, it's perfect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast