Thread: Shuts off in gear and Starts only in neutral

apriliaforum newb

Shuts off in gear and Starts only in neutral

Hey guys... as the thread title says. I have a 2001 Futura and it won't start in gear. It starts fine in neutral and once I shift to gear it shuts off. I have been reading the forum about kick stand switch. I can't really locate it. The only thing I could find is some cable that's hanging next to the stand. See pic attached I don't know what it's for... I read about bypassing and stuff.. I really don't mind buying a used kick stand switch but I can't figure where to replace it even after purchase.
    Also the clutch just feels loose when I press no resistance at all. I doubt it's related but do I need to have the clutch bled? I just changed the oil 3 weeks ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	492.3 KB 
ID:	346216

Get a new sidestand switch - the harness connects behind the oil tank,the switch itself is on the pivot point of the sidestand - the mounting bolt for the stand goes through the centre of the switch.

It's the easiest/simplest option for a fix.

The safety engine cutout will work when you put the bike in gear with the sidestand down.

Also the sidestand warning light will work on the clocks.

While you've got the panels off you might as well change the clutch slave cylinder seal.It's located behind the rectifier plate.

Sounds like yours has failed - the leaking fluid drips onto the sidestand switch and corrodes the wiring...
    Last edited by flying fox; 11-14-2017 at 06:18 AM.
    04 Silver,FPR Mod,Derestrict Airbox,Mille Boot,Reg/Rec Mod.,05 Map,Heated Grips,Smoked Screen,Beftura Forks,Scottoiler,Stone Chips,Scratches...

The Art of Bodge-It Never Fails.

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Definitely sidestand switch failure, either jumper the important pins (AT THE HARNESS) or install a whole new switch which comes with like 18" of new wiring.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Is that a great big wad of crud on the brown alternator plug or is that burned plastic. If the later, yer about to have a charge system failure?

Also looks like the oil tank suction hose is about to fall off of the tank's nipple.

apriliaforum Member
    To me it looks like there is no switch present?!? That would also explain the symptoms i guess

Quote Originally Posted by tpe View Post
    To me it looks like there is no switch present?!? That would also explain the symptoms i guess
    yep, the whole outer portion of the switch is gone.

The switch can be bypassed easily enough - do a search for this with kzmille as the poster. The bypass leaves the light functional but will allow you to drive away with the stand down - so buyer beware.

Also some states - mine included - won't safety inspect the bike w/o this switch being functional.

Pennsylvania won't pass your first motorcycle test either, at least not in 1981, when I heard the state trooper's whistle over my shoulder. I looked back, nervous as hell, at his sidearm and campaign hat. Clipboard in hand, he shook his head as I plopped the bike into gear with the sidestand down. Good times.

You might have two separate issues at play here, not starting in neutral could also be a symptom of a bad clutch switch. The side stand one is most definitely the other issue. Be careful with the mounting bolt, they always seem to have some level of buggery going on.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by spesnaz View Post
    Pennsylvania won't pass your first motorcycle test either, at least not in 1981, when I heard the state trooper's whistle over my shoulder. I looked back, nervous as hell, at his sidearm and campaign hat. Clipboard in hand, he shook his head as I plopped the bike into gear with the sidestand down. Good times.

You might have two separate issues at play here, not starting in neutral could also be a symptom of a bad clutch switch. The side stand one is most definitely the other issue. Be careful with the mounting bolt, they always seem to have some level of buggery going on.

Bob
    Took my test in 1970 on a 1965 Honda 250. It didn't have a side stand or OE turn signals for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by spesnaz View Post

Bob
    If the bike sees the neutral signal the clutch position doesn't matter, so it can't be the clutch switch.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler