Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front brake pad recommendations

apriliaforum prov-nov

Front brake pad recommendations

I'm looking to replace the front pads,I find the current set up (original fitment) too grabby for the soft suspension, can anyone recommend a replacement that is less grabby?
    Phil

Your brake pads likely aren't the issue. These bikes were well known for leaving the factory with soggy forks, especially the 2001-2003 models. Rather than cause the front brakes to work less well, consider improving the soft suspension with more capable springs to resist the weight transfer and heavier fluid to slow the rate of compression. Use the search function to see what others have done over the years.

Stu

I'd go with Stu on upgrading your fork springs it's a big lump the capo and needs all the brakes it has I've upgraded both brakes and forks

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I've had the forks upgraded and have increased the preload to cope with my weight (16 stone)

Quote Originally Posted by MT500 View Post
    I've had the forks upgraded and have increased the preload to cope with my weight (16 stone)
    So then describe why you still say the brakes are too grabby for the soft suspension. If you're saying the front end dives under braking, then your front end needs further attention. But maybe you're saying the pads have too much initial bite but are fine otherwise? In that case, try EBC Kevlar pads.

All forks dive under braking you should have about 25mm of travel left if there working right

I use the EBC HH pads in my ABS MK 2. The OEM brembos were pretty soft. I'm not sure I would call capo braking "excellent" and not sure a softer "bite" is a good idea as it seems there is something else suspension related you might want to look at.

I'm lazy when it comes to changing front brake pads. I get a 5 gallon bucket and a can of brake cleaner, pop the pads and douche the calipers over the bucket as much as I can, grease the back of the pads, pins and torque the caliper back on.

At least this way I'm keeping the business end clean.

I'm upwards of 290+ US pounds these days and don't have a dive issue that I cannot live with. I do need to slim down.
    06' Caponord

Quote Originally Posted by Matt fe2o3 View Post
    I'm upwards of 290+ US pounds these days and don't have a dive issue that I cannot live with. I do need to slim down.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hi Stu, yes its the initial bite I'm not happy with, even a gentle squeeze is like hitting a brick wall, there is no progression or feel to them, hence the forks immediately compress, despite their upgrading. I,m happy with the forks for normal riding, handling is now good, increasing spring rate or damping would spoil the current ride quality, that's why I thought I would see if any pads have a lower initial bite.

apriliaforum expert
    Maybe try some organic/ceramic compound. I use Goldfren which are nice and progressive. Although it's down to the individual's perception i suppose
    I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy

Is the front brake setup on your bike standard? The reason I ask is that some folk went to a bigger brake setup with brackets made up by one of the members on here, if your calipers bolt directly onto the forks then its standard but if they go via a bracket then you might have the uprated set up.

I also use Goldfren pads on my bike and have had no real issues with them, I did try other brands and had issues such as squeal that I couldn't stop so went back to these.

Pugwash
    Remember, you cannot outrun a motorola!

2003 Caponord
    2007 FJR1300AS
    2010 KLX250

I uprated my calipers to 4 pots and even though they brake harder there more progressive I use ferodo pads as there pad per piston I mix them with r4 in the front and r4s in the back of the caliper the r4 are harder and need heat to work but don't fade Just a thought is your master cyclinder ok maybe as your puting the brake on the master/ leaver is binding then releasing and it's like you banging the brakes on. Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by Stu_O View Post
    Well I am 5'3" - whoops I mean 6'3" which is no excuse.
    06' Caponord

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Ended up going for GOLD fren carbon/sintered, I'm impressed with the improvement, much less initial grab, much more linear application and stops well without fade and good on the rain

Quote Originally Posted by MT500 View Post
    Ended up going for GOLD fren carbon/sintered, I'm impressed with the improvement, much less initial grab, much more linear application and stops well without fade and good on the rain
    What is this "rain" thing you speak of?
    06' Caponord

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast