Thread: Multistrada 1200 questions

apriliaforum Member

Multistrada 1200 questions

I've been looking at a second bike to complement my K16GTL and I've test ridden several bikes but so far nothing that met my criteria of fast, comfortable for 100-150 mile trips, and affordable. Everything I rode that was fast wasn't comfortable and everything that was comfortable wasn't fast enough. I've also decided I want something with factory bags so I can take overnight trips if I want to and not be weighed down with a backpack. I've narrowed my choices down to a 2016 leftover Multistrada 1200 and used BMW factory low 1000XR with less than 3000 miles on the clock. I'm familiar with the XR but have o experience with Ducati. I'd be interested in hearing from someone who has owned a Multistrada that can tell me how it runs, reliability, service intervals, things to watch out for, warranty claims etc. I'm also considering the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS which meets my criteria of being affordable at about 11K with bags which is a few grand cheaper than the Ducati or BMW.

I had a 2012 multi s with all the bits dint have it long just dint get on with it it was it had things I didn't like electric locking fuel cap with the keyless ignition when you stop the bike for fuel by the time you take your gloves of its locked so you need to take the fob flick the key out and open it like normal but the fob is round your neck so you have to take your helmet off and undo your jacket factory heated grips to switch them on you press the starter button with the motor running so doing 70 mph they won't you to press the button that works the starter motor on a Italian bike ( you just know that's not going to end well) and servicing a 12k service with belts at my dealer was just under 1200

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    I have a 2010 model. It's the longest owned bike I've had (6 YEARS), I love it. It's been totally reliable, great ohlins TTX semi active suspension, servicing every 24,000klms belts and clearances, oil and filter at 12,000. My multi has covered over 72,000klms and AT services, hasn't had to have the shims altered. If you like the unusual ride position, then the bike will grow on you, they handle on everyday roads better than most bikes, and you can ride them fast. I've done a few track days on mine, they are fun but get a little loose with the long travel suspension. Great bikes. I have these 2 bikes for my do all riding, both great reliable bikes.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1779.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	533.1 KB 
ID:	343847
    Last edited by DaveNZ; 10-10-2017 at 01:28 AM.
    "The Earth is our ancestor....A restless Planet is our creator"..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, MV Rivale 800, Termi exhaust, heaps carbon fibre.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
    I have a 2010 model. It's the longest owned bike I've had (6 YEARS), I love it. It's been totally reliable, great ohlins TTX semi active suspension, servicing every 24,000klms belts and clearances, oil and filter at 12,000. My multi has covered over 72,000klms and AT services, hasn't had to have the shims altered. If you like the unusual ride position, then the bike will grow on you, they handle on everyday roads better than most bikes, and you can ride them fast. I've done a few track days on mine, they are fun but get a little loose with the long travel suspension. Great bikes. I have these 2 bikes for my do all riding, both great reliable bikes.Click image for larger version. 

Good info and two great looking bikes, thanks

apriliaforum newb
    I'm currently looking for a new bike and comparing the Aprilia Tuono and the Ducati Multistrada 1200. I realize they are very different monsters. I'd consider the KTM SuperDuke GT as well, but found the seat very uncomfortable. Nice looking picture though.

Nurburgring... been, there, done that, got the sticker
    Probably best to head over to the Ducati forum and ask away, you will get loads of advice there.
    I've owned 2 of them and still really like my DVT version.
    https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/forums/multistrada.6/
    You really only need three things for bike maintenance
    If it moves and it shouldn't - Duct tape
    If it doesn't move and it should - WD40
    ...and if it falls off and you want to reattach it - Cable ties.

apriliaforum Junkie
    I'll second what DaveNZ said.

The Multi is my favorite go-to bike. It can handle everything pretty well.

It will need some finessing to get 100% right; windscreen, fueling, rear brake...

It seems as though people are super happy with their multi's or absolutely hate them.

Mine (looking for wood to knock) has 88k miles, zero valve adj and I would do it all over again. Get an extended warranty, that's the best solution. Track days, two up, cross country, fire/dirt roads,,, all with awesome power and comfort; what's not to love?

Also, I believe the 2010's are 95% of what the new ones are and they're going for peanuts now. Some (myself) like the original iteration of the Multi. The later one's became too complicated. If I'm not mistaken the Ducati website lists the 2010 multi at 417lb!!! I know it's a totally bs number, but I can pretend can't I?

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post

How you like that GT? Rode one at a demo day today and liked everything about it, great road feel, suspension, fueling was good, not snatchy, super powerful. I even liked the seat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    I really like it Dogrange, it halls arse, very capable bike, 300-400 Kms per tank of gas, mines now done 26,000Kms not a problem with it, Has easy clip on bags, bullet proof motor and virtually no need to adjust valves even on some that have travelled over 48K. i raised my handle bars 40mm. The suspension is very good, in sports mode its on the little soft side for all out racing ya mates on, i ride with Panigales and Tuono 1100V4s, but I'm seldom very far back, and most of the time im out in front, (before i got 2 huge speeding tickets) a really great bike that fits somewhere between the Tuono and the Multistrada. I did a 6000Km fast tour of NZs south island with 2 mates on 1290Rs last March, they were very surprised how fast the GT was.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0072.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	512.7 KB 
ID:	364693Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0062.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	518.3 KB 
ID:	364694
    "The Earth is our ancestor....A restless Planet is our creator"..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, MV Rivale 800, Termi exhaust, heaps carbon fibre.