Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Issue with Mana cutting out

I had to trim off the ridges on the throttle tube as well, but not difficult to do. Here's shot of the 4 level control I have on my Heat Demon setup. It has a set of orange and red LEDs that tell you what setting it is on. You can see how it replaces the clamp on the mirror bracket.

Name:  Heat Demon Control.jpeg
Views: 169
Size:  90.5 KB
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

apriliaforum Member
    That's nice and tidy

apriliaforum newb
    It's good to hear that I am not the only person to have this same problem with there Mana as my GT has been doing the same thing every time I go off to work in the morning or for a ride these last 3 months as I would come to the end of my street and the bike would stall.. I asked about it at a dealership and they asked if I had a aftermarket muffler fitted to my bike which I said yes it does and they were thinking it might have something to do with the fuel injection throttle body not be set right but from what I have read here it seems that is not the case.. The only way I have been able to fix this problem is when I am slowing down I will blip the throttle a few times like you would do when riding a manual bike when changing down the gears seems to fix the problem with it stalling..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	(1).jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	151.8 KB 
ID:	372307

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    As I mentioned, my 2009 GT has only ever done this once. I had been out on a ride and stopped for tea and cake (as you do). So the bike sat for about an hour before I got back on forgetting it would have cooled off. I pinned it pulling away and it obviously didn't like the treatment as it quit at the first junction a few hundred yards up the road. It's never done it since, but I learned to be gentle on the throttle for the first few minutes so maybe that is the key.

(BTW - Keith, heated grips can be a bit of a pain to fit on the Mana. The gear paddle switch gets in the way of simple aftermarket grips so things like Oxfords don't fit without a lot of bodging. I used Heat Demons which have heater elements that simply wrap around the handlebars and throttle tube so you can keep the factory grips. They also have by far the neatest control module I have ever seen. It replaces the clamp on the left hand mirror and looks like a factory fit instead of a clunky square box. There is supposed to be a connector plug for grips behind the radiator header tank, but mine doesn't have it so I used a fuse with a break out lead to replace the original fuse in the box.)
    Mine has Oxford heated grips, installed by the previous owner. Works great, but yes an ugly square box on the steering tube.

I have a non abs, and mine never cuts out from start. I must say, most of the time i don't have to stop in the first few km.
    I don't tink it is an abs issue. I think it is more a fuel issue.

apriliaforum newb
    This problem was brought up on the Aprilia Mana Facebook page about them stalling and I mention mine had been doing it more than normal as last week it stall on me twice.. The first time was on my way to work where it stall at a set of traffic lights some 800 metres from home and again when I was leave work some 7 hours later... Now I was told it could be the O2 sensor that could be on the way out???? Now I have just spent a lot of money on getting my 2012 Mana GT fixed with a service and had the gearbox belt and slider changed when the other day while rolling down a hill my bike backfires and I notest it had switched from Touring mode to Rain mode and the ABS light was on putting it into limp mode and seeing I was close to work at the time I rode it to work.. When I finished work that afternoon it fired up as normal and I tried the mode button for the gearbox and it shifted to Sports Gear mode and then into Touring mode and I didn't have a problem for the ride home so my Question is could the O2 sensor be the problem or something else as the onboard computer says there are no faults..

Ours has been doing it for 10 years on initial ride off, primarily on cool/cold mornings.

I just give it a "touch" of throttle while using just the rear brake. Once warmed-up, no issues.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by tinykxb View Post
    Now I was told it could be the O2 sensor that could be on the way out????
    O2 sensors are cheap, about half price, as an after-market item. I added one to my new exhaust rather than to try and remove the old one. It didn't really fix my intermittent flat spot issue just off idle, but it's another potential fault crossed off the list.

Now I have just spent a lot of money on getting my 2012 Mana GT fixed with a service and had the gearbox belt and slider changed when the other day while rolling down a hill my bike backfires and I noticed it had switched from Touring mode to Rain mode and the ABS light was on putting it into limp mode and seeing I was close to work at the time I rode it to work.. When I finished work that afternoon it fired up as normal and I tried the mode button for the gearbox and it shifted to Sports Gear mode and then into Touring mode and I didn't have a problem for the ride home so my Question is could the O2 sensor be the problem or something else as the onboard computer says there are no faults..
    Mine has now done the same thing twice, in 10,000 miles. It did it last week on a long downhill which meant it was coasting with very light throttle for a mile or two. I switched off at the bottom and restarted and it was fine.

It did the same on another, not-so-long downhill last year, and the same cure worked then, too.

I am wondering if it might not be due to the encoder used which converts the throttle opening amount into an electrical signal for the ECU to process. An Aussie guy who has done a lot of work on Moto Guzzi EFI fueling issues and who contributes to the WildGuzzi forum under the ID "beetle" has discovered that the single throttle bodies used on the MG V7 models have a massive step or "jump" just off idle. I imagine the same throttle bodies and or encoders are used on the Aprilias, also

This means that if you have the throttle open just slightly off idle the ECU will see a very lean mixture; when starting off you bypass this quickly because you open the throttle more to make the engine perform. When going downhill you probably don't want that extra throttle amount to get past the "flat spot."

Not quite. The Mana uses a separate ECU, the W5AM. The smallblock Guzzis prior to the V85 use the MUIG3, a combined TB/ECU.
    Professional Goat Burster.

Quote Originally Posted by Mana08 View Post
    Ours has been doing it for 10 years on initial ride off, primarily on cool/cold mornings.

I just give it a "touch" of throttle while using just the rear brake. Once warmed-up, no issues.
    This, and the post above it, are typical symptoms of leaking manifold O-rings.
    Professional Goat Burster.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12