Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issue with Mana cutting out

apriliaforum newb

Question Issue with Mana cutting out

Hi Guys,

Iím fairly new to the Mana, about 3 weeks.

Iíve been sorting a few issues which are expected when you buy a secondhand bike but a new one has come to light which has me baffled.

The bike starts fine and then about 200 metres down the road it cuts out, it will restart easily and then no problem for the rest of the ride. This happens in sport, touring or rain mode.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks for any help.

Andy.

Hi Andy, first off, welcome to the forum from another Andy. Various people have reported a variation on the stalling issue, which mostly seems to happen when stopping for the first time shortly after setting off. Letting the bike warm up seems to at least reduce this tendency. My GT has done it to me once in the three years I've owned it. Nobody has really found a cure, but I suggest resetting the computer to start with and see if that helps. Either disconnect the battery or pull out the master fuses next to it and leave it for a few minutes, before reconnecting. Let us know if this has any effect.
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

welcome!

i am one of those that have this same problem. i even named it the "first stop stall", as it does it at the first stop sign from my house. i've gotten so used to it that i can now get it restarted while coasting to the sign with one finger on the front brake and thumb on the starter. you have to wait for the transmission to release and go into coast mode. otherwise it won't work.

and if you do find a cure, do keep us updated.

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks Andy,

Good to know it's not just my bike. I tried resetting the computer yesterday, fitted a new battery, let the bike warm up for 5 mins and went off for a ride and 200 metres from the house just cut out again, luckily I was going downhill this time and was able to feather the front brake and spin the starter and no probs after that. The first time it happened I was turning left up a steep "S" bend when it cut out so nearly dropped the bike, at least I am forewarned now.
    This morning I decided to try again. let the bike warm up, pulled away a couple of metres and stopped, switched off and back on and it didn't cut out on me 200 metres down the road. I don't know if this was just a coincidence because it hasn't happened every time I've ridden so just have to wait and see. Thanks for your input.

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks Typhon, your restarting technique worked for me too.

Andy, is your bike an NA or GT with ABS? I'm wondering if this cut out fault has anything to do with the ABS check routine that the GT carries out before switching off the ABS warning light? Anybody got any other thoughts on this?
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

apriliaforum newb
    It's the GT ABS and what you say could make sense because it has an ABS fault so the warning light stays on and the ABS shows on the display. It has been diagnosed as a front sensor fault and I've got one on order and waiting for delivery and fitting. I hadn't connected the two but they could be linked. I'll see what happens when the new sensor is fitted and the fault cleared from computer.

It's worth checking the sensor for continuity and also look at the plug terminals for corrosion (The connector plug is up behind the radiator header tank). You will get used to the routine of "screen off, dashboard out" that is required for pretty much any maintenance to the central part of the bike.

Are you aware that there are only 45 Mana GTs on the road in the UK?

apriliaforum newb
    That's less than I thought. I rode over to Yorkshire from North Wales to buy this bike and the seller said they were rare in the UK, he thought around 60.

Been trying to add a picture of it in my profile but need to make it smaller, here's one below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mana2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	401.6 KB 
ID:	343935
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Very nice, with lots of extras, too. The side case brackets are like hen's teeth! And great scenery to ride it in...

Quote Originally Posted by a1jonuk View Post
    It's the GT ABS and what you say could make sense because it has an ABS fault so the warning light stays on and the ABS shows on the display. It has been diagnosed as a front sensor fault and I've got one on order and waiting for delivery and fitting. I hadn't connected the two but they could be linked. I'll see what happens when the new sensor is fitted and the fault cleared from computer.
    i also have the gt abs. anyone know if the non-abs standard manas suffer from this as well?

apriliaforum Member
    Well I have not had any problems with my 2010 Mana GT as yet and it seems to have all the extras fitted with the exception of heated grips which I will sort out soon, That is a great picture of yours a1jonuk, I have had 29 bikes of almost all makes to date and the Mana is one of the nicest to ride and great in traffic of course, I am surprised there are only sixty in the UK, I wonder how many there are in the world ? if the number is low we could be riding collectors bikes of the near future ?
    Keith

As I mentioned, my 2009 GT has only ever done this once. I had been out on a ride and stopped for tea and cake (as you do). So the bike sat for about an hour before I got back on forgetting it would have cooled off. I pinned it pulling away and it obviously didn't like the treatment as it quit at the first junction a few hundred yards up the road. It's never done it since, but I learned to be gentle on the throttle for the first few minutes so maybe that is the key.

(BTW - Keith, heated grips can be a bit of a pain to fit on the Mana. The gear paddle switch gets in the way of simple aftermarket grips so things like Oxfords don't fit without a lot of bodging. I used Heat Demons which have heater elements that simply wrap around the handlebars and throttle tube so you can keep the factory grips. They also have by far the neatest control module I have ever seen. It replaces the clamp on the left hand mirror and looks like a factory fit instead of a clunky square box. There is supposed to be a connector plug for grips behind the radiator header tank, but mine doesn't have it so I used a fuse with a break out lead to replace the original fuse in the box.)

apriliaforum Member
    Oh thanks for that Andy I will have a look for the connector and see if I have one, now I am going to look at the heat demons you have recommended, thanks again.
    Keith

On the original topic, I have not experienced any stalling with our 2010 GT, even on days close to freezing. The standard ABS warning goes away as soon as the wheels start turning.
    On the bunny trail... I installed some grip heater elements (Heat Demon/Moose Racing?) under the OEM grips on our GT. I was able to access the factory wiring and install the switch on the faring for a clean look. The only challenge with the OEM grips (which feel quite nice for me) was the throttle has plastic ridges to prevent slipping. I cut those off with a knife and things fit well in the end.
    Tim

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast