Thread: gts 300 lowering of rpm's at freeway speeds

apriliaforum prov-nov

gts 300 lowering of rpm's at freeway speeds

What's the best way to lower the the revs on a vespa 300 for the freeway. I don't go that fast (60-65), just need a few less revs. Thanks

apriliaforum expert
    1/2 to 1 gram heavier rollers should give you a modest reduction or switch to Dr Pulley Sliders however be certain to trim flush the oil sump gasket so the belt won't accidently rub against it and pull on it. Adding a moderate windshield or sport fairing can also help reduce wind loading and reduce rpm to maintain speed.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I already have a mid sized windshield, but what brands of sliders are considered the best, as I've heard various opinions. Thanks. How many rpm's do you think it will save, and if I go just a little heavier, how much more will it drop? It (In your opinion) Acceleration is more than enough, so if I lose a little, it's no big deal. Thanks, Pat

apriliaforum expert
    Impact gun should only be used for removal and not installation. Get the holder and use a torque wrench to tighten everything right including the clutch to spec by the book. Be sure to put on a heavy glove and dampen the impacts by firmly grasping the variator when removing it with an impact wrench. Myself since my instructor was adamant to never use an impact wrench on a small motor I follow that stipulation on everything I work on that is not going to have the crank and connecting rod replaced along with the cylinder honed.

When ever you service inside the CVT case you should always put clean grease on the clutches idle roller bearings which are inside the center of the clutch towards the back. The clutch shaft itself is what they ride on however too many folks don't realize they are even there and after wiping off the shaft put the clutch back on the dry shaft. Score the clutch shaft and you will have to take apart the final drive to replace the shaft. Much less work to replace the teaspoon or two of grease.

apriliaforum Member Mike Holland's Avatar
    I only use my impact wrench for undoing the 46 mm nut on the clutch. Otherwise I always use the proper tools - clutch holder, variator holder and torque wrench. I have the official Piaggio variator holder.

Used the impact wrench once on the variator nut and learned my lesson.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by sublunacy View Post
    thats what the holder tool is for. are you reading the subject matter that you type?
    Yes and what I read was about the very bad practice of using an impact wrench to tighten the variator nut which is lunacy regardless of whether you are using the holder or not however I did this without making a direct comment or quote while still giving others the correct and proper information.

You absolutely do no tighten them to how you feel might be OK using an impact wrench or any other type of manual or powered wrench but only an accurate torque wrench capable of maintaining the exact torque and tolerance specified in the service manual using a good holding device that won't damage the fins or otherwise throw the variator out of balance. Unless you have a good machine shop with a boring machine and very accurate scales you do not drill out the weights in the rollers either and even then you take the chance of violating the integrity of the rollers or sliders by drilling them so that they might come apart ruining a fairly expensive variator which if cared for and maintained by the book should last 30,000 to 50,000 miles.

Mike learned the hard way and was candid enough to admit it which shows his forthright character so he deserves a Kudo for that. Better and cheaper to go by the book and learn from other peoples mistakes instead of repeating them along with encouraging others to also repeat those same mistakes.

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    I use an impact gun (air) on the front variator nut, rear clutch ring nut and such. Decades of practice and getting a feel for air tools makes them pretty safe to use. That said if you are new to air impact tooling...be careful, or do not use it.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin