Thread: Mana died won't start

Mana died won't start

it's labor day here and i was going on a ride with my buddies. i brought the camera to take photos of the coast and beaches and wanted to post to the site, because sometimes, as i read the forum, it seems like we only come here when we have problems. well, so much for that.

i was just a couple of miles from home pulling away from about my 5th stop sign. bike was good and warm, running smooth. as i pulled away, engine died and "service" came up on the dash and alternated between that and "abs". along with the dreaded red triangle. i pulled over and shut it off. waited a few minutes and tried to start. starter never comes on, just a single tick sound about every 2 seconds. tried about 6 more times and caught a ride home to get my trailer. so disappointing with only about 2500 miles on the clock. of all of the 15 to 20 bikes i have owned, this is the only one that has ever left me on the side of the road

when i get a chance, i will see if there are any error codes. if i can't find anything, i guess it's off to the shop. only problem is they have never even seen a mana before, only heard about them.

Have you tried to start it with the side stand up? Did it ask for your user code? Is everything else working OK, just won't start?
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

hey andy, yes. i tried with the stand up and down, same result. i actually tried tapping on the kickstand with my foot a bit, because my first thought was the kickstand switch, but it didn't help. everything else appears to be fine. anything specific i should look for?

If the bike didn't ask for a user code the immobiliser is OK and you say everything else appears to be working, so there should be an error code stored that will point to the fault. Worth checking that all the fuses are OK, including the master and auxiliary ones beside the battery. Also worth making sure the battery is fully charged, just in case it is a charging fault.
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

will check. should have some time this weekend. thanks!

checking the fuses first, i found this one without continuity: C - Fuel pump, Coils, Injectors, Electricfan, Lambda probe, Start-up control relay(20A).

been searching the forum and can't find the diagnostic menu code. it won't let me check for errors without it and i know i saw it on here somewhere. i tried 12412 from the tuono or shiver forum, but that doesn't work.

anyway, put the new fuse in. hard to start, but the 3rd try she fired up. everything seems to be fine. just have to find the source of the excessive current draw.

or maybe it was just a cheap chinese fuse...
    Last edited by typhon; 09-07-2017 at 09:28 AM.

apriliaforum Member Patrick Morin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by typhon View Post
    checking the fuses first, i found this one without continuity: C - Fuel pump, Coils, Injectors, Electricfan, Lambda probe, Start-up control relay(20A).

been searching the forum and can't find the diagnostic menu code. it won't let me check for errors without it and i know i saw it on here somewhere. i tried 12412 from the tuono or shiver forum, but that doesn't work.

anyway, put the new fuse in. hard to start, but the 3rd try she fired up. everything seems to be fine. just have to find the source of the excessive current draw.

or maybe it was just a cheap chinese fuse...
    Try 12321

Diagnostic code is 12321. The fact that you got it started after replacing the fuse would seem to rule out the fuel pump and the injectors and anything else that might cause a direct short. I would normally suspect the relay, but the fuse seems to protect the actual switched side of it, rather than the coil, but might be worth doing a few checks for correct operation and resistances. Other possibility could be sticky fan. I'm not sure exactly how its motor is wired, but would normally expect some sort of start winding or capacitor that makes sure it rotates in the right direction. If it was sticking the start could draw a high current. But you could be right, it might just be a dodgy fuse.

thanks for the code and the advise. been riding around. no trouble to report. maybe now i can take that ride to the coast and get some nice pics to post.