Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ECU tuning, Looking for information

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hi,

slowly proceeding. An Arduino was added to the ECU simulator and feeds a speed signal from 1-1000Hz and two adjustable lambda probe signals to the ECU and dash.

Name:  Arduino_small.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  47.8 KB

And the EEPROM is also accessible, reading and writing works.

Name:  Dashboard EEPROM ausgelesen_small.JPG
Views: 345
Size:  56.8 KB

A changed user code allowed login and made the dashboard accessible via the Up/Down/Set signals.

Name:  CH341_Dashboard_small.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  39.7 KB

Cheers
    Meinolf

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hi,

a quick update.

The addresses and contents of the dashboard are now known, I don't expect any further content to appear. Only a couple of percent of the 2KB in the EEPROM are used.

The algorithm for the checksum calculation of the mileage and the other Bytes in the range 0x10-0x18 was also reverse engineered, based on the sequential data written into the EEPROM when adding one km at a time. This is neat, as the meaning of the bit changes in 0x14 (# of service resets) and 0x15 (C/F, km/mls, service) could be determined now.

The operator panel was upgraded again. Most important is the cascaded TPS poti, which allows setting TPS by exactly 1/10 of a degree. This might seem superfluous, but chasing values in tables and the legend values in the maps requires a very precise setting, as the program code uses bilinear interpolation to calculate values in between breakpoints.

Name:  Panel III beschriftet._smalljpg.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  37.6 KB

Connecting a stepper motor eliminated the respective errors shown by the ECU.

Name:  Steppermotor_small.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  39.6 KB

Now the explorations have begun. As, with a Mana BIN loaded, the virtual engine still can't be started I'm using the existing 5AM XDF for Guzzis. Using Tunerpro and a Hexeditor the BIN is looked at Byte by Byte, looking for tables and the content. As the program code used in the Mana BIN is likely to be similar to the one in Guzzi BINs, searching for the data and structure of identified tables will help me finding them in the Mana BIN.

Name:  XDF-Exploration_small.JPG
Views: 305
Size:  24.4 KB

The areas suspected to be tables are later on verified on the ECU simulator by changing values in the tables and tracking the results, if any can be seen.

Even though the dashboard is recognized by the ECU and speed, rpm, side stand LED and so on are functioning, I still get an CAN bus error with a Mana BIN loaded. I plan to look a bit deeper into the stuff happening on the CAN bus, maybe this error can be eliminated also. Some research brought to light that the Rigol DS1054Z can be used as a signal analyzer with Sigrok, a splendid open source project. Just to be on the safe side I also ordered a clone of the Salea 8ch/25Mhz signal analyzer.

Btw, I am still looking for a dashboard and TCU to complete the setup.

Cheers
    Meinolf
    Last edited by Meinolf; 01-04-2018 at 09:35 AM.

What's the part # for the TCU? Any idea?
    Professional Goat Burster.

Meinhoff,
    This is really great work you are doing and the most interesting thread for a while. I'm always scouting for parts so I will see what I come across and keep an eye out for you. I think there was a post about a Mana being wrecked in Britain somewhere a while back.
    2013 Aprilia Shiver 750, Pearl white ABS - stock for the moment. Before that;
    Mana 850
    Moto Guzzi V11
    Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
    Moto Guzzi Le Mans MkIV 1000

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hi Pete,

Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    What's the part # for the TCU? Any idea?
    the PN for the TCU is 640135 (#5 here http://www.apriliagenuineparts.co.uk...em-ii-1829.php)

The PN for dashboard is 860740 or 860881 (#1 here http://www.apriliagenuineparts.co.uk...board-1827.php)

Cheers
    Meinolf

Hey, I'll email you over on WG. I may have some good news! ��

Hi Meinhof,
    I hope everything is tracking well with your project. Are you aware of this workshope in Italy? It appears they do a lot of mods for the 850 motor/ecu

http://www.moscatellimoto.it/index.html
    2013 Aprilia Shiver 750, Pearl white ABS - stock for the moment. Before that;
    Mana 850
    Moto Guzzi V11
    Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
    Moto Guzzi Le Mans MkIV 1000

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hi,

some time since the last post, but not due to lack of interest or work. Since the virtual engine couldn't be started, assumedly because of the missing dashboard, the last months were spent with analysing the ECU program code and running tests with Guzzi BINs. The results are enhanced XDFs for the One- and Two-Lambda Guzzis (Breva, Stelvio, Norge, Griso and 1200 Sport) and the transcription of arrays, scalars and flags into a XDF for the Mana.

Some weeks ago a Aprilia fan from Poland, Robert, approached me and offered to assist in getting a Mana dashboard. Which arrived today. I knew that the mechanical condition wasn't mint, but as long as the electronics work all would be well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dashboard nach Ankunft small.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	353162

The complete dissassembly is much easier than that of the Guzzi dashboard. The PCB was removed and power applied. And, it worked. The stepper motor stepped and the LEDs lit up.

Name:	Dashboard zerlegt small.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	353163

The EEPROM was quickly identified and cables soldered to the SDA/SCL pins. Then a connection to the programmer and the EEPROM content could be read. Great. The next step was to program the EEPROM with a Usercode and the transponder keys fitting to the ignition key used. Alas, programming didn't work, the software gave an error message. So, a quick study of the EEPROM datasheet and some thinking led to the assumption, that maybe the Aprilia dashboard made use of the Write Protect pin. Another cable was added and connected to ground. And now the EEPROM could be programmed as well.

Name:	Dashboard nackt mit Kabeln small.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	353152

Another quick check was made to verify if the algorithm (found for the Guzzi dashboards) for calculating the check sum protecting the mileage and other values in the EEPROM also worked with the Aprilia firmware. And yes, it's the same algorithm.

The next step will be to connect the dashboard to the ECU simulator and check if the virtual engine can now be started. Then the XDF describing the addresses and contents of the data can be validated. And take a look at what's happening on the CANBus as well.

And a special thanks to Robert and his support in getting the dashboard. Chapeau!!!

Cheers
    Meinolf
    Last edited by Meinolf; 03-13-2018 at 01:21 PM.

apriliaforum Member Patrick Morin's Avatar
    Wow,what a great progress you make,congrats! Hope it works out ok for you!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hi,

while deciphering the data sent across the CANBus with a Guzzi BIN I came across a message which is send every 100ms from the ECU to the dashboard. STREETFIGHTER. As the text string ends with a $18, which is the ASCII code for CAN(celed), I even wondered if there was a hidden message within the hidden message. Like, a Guzzi programmer declaring that Streetfighters are canceled.

I normally look at the hexdumps in 16bit LoHi-notation, so ASCII characters are not usually visible. Just for the hell of it I scrolled through the Aprilia code in 8bit notation.

And found this message string: SONO UNA Ducati. Which translates to "I am a Ducati".

Some of the programmers are real jokers....

Name:  Ich bin eine Ducati.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  73.0 KB

The string "STREETFIGHTER" is displayed on the Guzzi dash after power on, I can't remember seeing anything similar on the Mana. I'm curious to see if the string is send over the Aprilia CANBus as well.

Cheers
    Meinolf

Is there any reply from the dashboard? It could be a typical system heartbeat message like a network ping.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hi Tim,

there's lots of data moving on the CANBus. I wouldn't see the neccessity of using a text string as a heartbeat, and it's one of the IDs which is sent at a low frequency - every 100ms. The overview below is showing the CANBus data between an 5AM loaded with a Guzzi-BIN and the Guzzi dashboard.

Name:	CANBus_8V.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	255.2 KB 
ID:	354254

The last weeks - temperature has risen above 0C - were mostly spent in the workshop servicing the fleet and driving, so work with the ECU simulator has been stopped.

Today a package arrived which contained the cut-off plugs from a 5AM Ducati. I purchased them because I expected the dashboard connector to be the same and I wanted to solder a Aprilia version to connect the Aprilia quickly to the loom without having to use the bread board approach. The wrong cable is quickly plugged into the wrong receptacle and hi-Amp current flows where it shouldn't. Alas, the connector is slightly different. So it's going to be bread board plugging again.

But I did check if the Mana dashboards display any text message after ignition or power on. There's nothing but the FW ID shown when the battery was disconnected.

Cheers
    Meinolf

Is the Aprilia pin-out the same as Guzzi? I have a couple of spare W5AM Guzzi looms I could send you the plugs off if you wish?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hi Pete,

that would be great.

The connectors used in by Guzzi and Aprilia are the same, but the pin-outs are different. More so on the dashboard than on the ECU, but the ominous resistor module has unforeseen reverberation if the Guzzi BINs are loaded. The current loom is from a Mana and I could overlay the Guzzi loom on the board without to many changes. So a complete loom or just the dashboard connector (with the cables sticking out of it for 2 inches to allow soldering cables to them) would be great

Name:	Aprilia_Mana_Dashboard.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	417.4 KB 
ID:	354322

That's why I resorted to the bread board, but as mentioned errors happen quickly when plugging in the cables.

Name:	Anschluss Stelvio DB.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	536.3 KB 
ID:	354323

Cheers
    Meinolf

Mate, I fly out to Western Australia tomorrow so I won’t get to it until at least the 18th of April but i’llpull A complete dead loom out for you when I get back. Just remind me, I have the memory of a goldfish!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast