Thread: Valve Adjust Info

Valve Adjust Info

I just checked my valves and just about all of them are out of spec. Seems everything is a bit loose or on the loose end of the range. So i need to adjust the valves, but have never done it on this bike before. I have looked at the cache of Kens site and the pages referring to the actual valve adjustment are missing. Does anyone have that info? I have the shop manual, but it seems like ill need to put together the instructions from various areas of the manual. im sure i can cobble though it, but id feel more comfortable reading/hearing about the process from a fellow falconeer.

Also, whats the opinion of purchasing the shim kit rather than the individual shims?
    - splyn

"The problem is not high-performance motorcycles. It's low-performance riders."

I believe in the noble, aristocratic art of doing absolutely nothing. And I hope someday I will be in a position when I can do even less.

apriliaforum Member
    Valves too loose? Not too tight? Strange. I will do mine after the summer..

Wysłane z mojego SM-G7105 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Yep. too loose. im going to re-measure to be sure. but there were two of us taking the measurements.
    - splyn

I believe in the noble, aristocratic art of doing absolutely nothing. And I hope someday I will be in a position when I can do even less.

How many beers were involved?
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

not enough to get the measurements that wrong.
    - splyn

apriliaforum Member
    Nasa did it with mars. Metric feeler gauge and imperial data?

nope. not smart enough to make that mistake.
    - splyn

apriliaforum expert go_modem_go's Avatar
    I have a very handy one pager, taken from the original works manual by engine manufacturer Rotax Austria.

I haven't practised a shim change, since mine were still in spec at 60k.

In German though. Also, for the TDC (top dead centre) and max valve lift or any other relevant flywheel / cam marks, consult the Aprilia workshop manual.

Intake side, cold: 0,12 - 0,17mm - a 0,15mm gauge MUST fit, the 0,20mm should not!

Exhaust side, cold: 0,23 - 0,28mm - a 0,25mm gauge MUST fit, the 0,30mm should not!

You'll need to source the appropriately sized shims - do a search on this forum, I believe some Harley shims were similar, but much cheaper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ventile_einstellen_rofts6z.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	341453

Cams Cylinder 2 (rear):

Cams Cylinder 1 (front):

Indy, IN
    '01 Red Fire SL1000 Falco
    -Aprilia RSC cans, Gabro chip , carbon fiber rear fender, RSV Mille Sachs Shock/Ohlins spring, Oxford Heaterz

apriliaforum expert ghostrider71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by splyn View Post
    nope. not smart enough to make that mistake.
    Hey Splyn....did you get this sorted??

When I did mine several years ago (paid for the second service) I had several members helping me, and
    especially KZ. He talked me off the proverbial ledge more than a few times.

Reading those feelers is kind of subjective, since you have to gauge how much resistance is felt between the bucket and shim when
    you remove it.
    As I recall the shim kit is pretty expensive to purchase, and if you are methodical about measuring the old shims with a digital caliper you can
    ascertain the correct sizes that will put the clearance back in spec. Certainly good to have all the sizes available, but if you can find a reliable source, probably more economical to buy them ala carte.
    It's kind of an interesting puzzle.

There's also a good one page Aprilia Document that helps you record your base line, measurements, and calculations for the new shims sizes.
    I know it's on the forum somewhere, and I don't have it immediately handy for posting.

Hardest part for me, was starting the bike up again, after everything was all back together!!!

Take lots of pics for reference points, especially on the cams, and take your time.

report back!

gr
    Since it was highly recommended, I put THEGEEK on ignore and the forum IS a much nicer place!!