Thread: Hear the Ducati V4 as it goes around a test track

Hear the Ducati V4 as it goes around a test track

I read about it here:
    https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bik...d/#more-141305

Edit: in the comments section in the article, a reader claims that this was a MotoGP test, not the new V4, so I am not sure what to believe, but it sounds great whatever it is.
    Last edited by dazo; 08-24-2017 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dazo View Post

I read about it here:
    https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bik...d/#more-141305

Edit: in the comments section in the article, a reader claims that this was a MotoGP test, not the new V4, so I am not sure what to believe, but it sounds great whatever it is.
    No way they'd be running a SSSA on a moto GP bike..... and what looks like treaded tyres
    seesecurity.com.au

And headlights and a number plate hanger!
    2013 Tuono APRC ABS
    1982 LeMans Mk3

Always leave people better than you found them!

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The 2nd best time is today!

All correct, however nowhere in that 240p video do you get a shot of the bike on track close enough that you could determine what it is.
    We have to take the publisher at their word or not.

So it's possible that's it or not, the YT thumbnail is possibly the real thing.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

apriliaforum expert
    They will brief the press in two weeks regarding the engine. Whole bike is in November.

At this point my guess is the design is 99% fixed (if not 100%), it has been in development for three years IIRC.

I am anticipating it will be awesome and suddenly those Ducati twins (and Aprilia V4) will seem pretty ordinary.

apriliaforum expert
    http://desmosedicistradale.ducati.com/en_us/

cool video

For the street version:
    1103 cc
    81mm bore (max allowed by MotoGP)
    210 hp in Euro4 compliance
    14k redline
    15,000 mile valve adjustment intervals
    chain cam drive

-Randall

.....Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Three great forces rule the world: ignorance, fear and greed

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by vtrandall View Post
    My link above plays this video along with all the technical highlights laid out in studio photography glory.

Guessing the folks in Noale are working on a 1100cc RSV4 to respond. They better get on it. Or maybe they do a 1200-1300cc RSV twin again. That would be interesting

apriliaforum expert
    It reminds me of the release of the RSV4. It has the same 81mm bore as the Tuono 1100, and the magnesium engine covers used on the Factory RSV4s, and the variable length velocity stacks, and mixed chain and gear drive for the cams. A few things are different - 90 degree V with no balance shaft, servo slipper clutch (not sure how that works), and desmodromics (no valve springs). I have a feeling it will push Aprilia to release the big-bore RSV4, and which should be plenty far along, based on the Tuono 1100. A big twin is pointless as both Aprilia and Ducati have shown for the basis of a WSBK race bike. Their computer simulations have shown that a V4 is superior around a track.
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2000.5 Mille R - Ti Shotguns & lots of Evo shtuff
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory

apriliaforum expert
    My thought on the hypothetical twin Aprilia superbike is that they going head-to-head against Ducati might be tough for them going forward. Racing is secondary, selling should be paramount for Aprilia. The RSV4 does not sell, at least not compared to the Panigale. So do things a little different, and exploit the niche in the market that Ducati is voluntarily leaving. Not unlike the two-stroke vs four-stroke for dirt bikes. Husaberg was exclusively four-stroke and before KTM killed it off, it has switched to two-stroke to offer a different experience from the mainstream.

OTOH, the RSV4 is a hell of a machine, and Ducati will have to make a very special machine to top it.
    Last edited by sburns2421; 09-07-2017 at 09:59 PM.

I reckon the DUC will be awesome, Ducati know how to build good sports bikes, and they've plenty of experience with a 90 deg desmo V4.
    seesecurity.com.au

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Quote Originally Posted by sburns2421 View Post
    My thought on the hypothetical twin Aprilia superbike is that they going head-to-head against Ducati might be tough for them going forward. Racing is secondary, selling should be paramount for Aprilia. The RSV4 does not sell, at least not compared to the Panigale. So do things a little different, and exploit the niche in the market that Ducati is voluntarily leaving. Not unlike the two-stroke vs four-stroke for dirt bikes. Husaberg was exclusively four-stroke and before KTM killed it off, it has switched to two-stroke to offer a different experience from the mainstream.

OTOH, the RSV4 is a hell of a machine, and Ducati will have to make a very special machine to top it.
    agree, people like twins for their road bikes, its a passion-fashion thats been around for along time. the twin was the way to discern yourself away from the Japanese. Myself, i will never buy a 4 cylinder again, i tried to like Aprilias V4, but it wasn't for me, just too busy a engine.
    "The Earth is our ancestor....A restless Planet is our creator"..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, MV Rivale 800, Termi exhaust, heaps carbon fibre.

That sounds amazing

apriliaforum expert
    Not surprised to see Stoner on the bike, but I am surprised to see him four weeks before the debut in print.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	v42.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	343691  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	v41.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	343692  

Attached Images Attached Images  

apriliaforum newb
    Sounds great. Someone just bought the first V4 that was delivered around here. Must be nice.