Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Heated Grips for 2017 Tuono

I fitted the tecnoglobe heated grips today, these are the same as the Kosso available in the USA, just a few thoughts and observations

As already spoken about trim the TC button back to the fastener bolt, this is easier if undone, it can then be swiveled around as you cut it shorter, also, If you plan
    to hide it with a piece of old rubber grip fill in the recess's, I used some double sided trim tape

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5513.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	388144

To cut your old grip slide it onto a tube or socket and place a jubilee clip around the outside to guide your blade

Name:	IMG_5515.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	388146

Be very careful where you 'glue the LH grip on, if you glue it where the cable can simply pass under the middle of the TC switch it might not fit your hand, I found the
    best position for a gloved hand was with the grip twisted further upright than I imagined, or initially fitted it, this allows the thumb and index finger to fit nicely either side of the controller

Name:	IMG_5521.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	388145

Finished they look rather good, I just hope they're hot enough at 30W against my normal 40W

I managed to lose the controller behind the LH indicator, for the time being they are wired straight to battery, I will obtain a small relay and use the rear tail light to switch the relay as spoken about here before

Name:	IMG_5516.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	388147Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5517.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	388148Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5518.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	388149

apriliaforum expert coolonthecoast's Avatar
    Neat job Mike.
    40 odd powered two wheelers over 40 odd years. Currently in the garage are a 2016 Tuono V4 1100RR and a '79 Honda CB550F

apriliaforum prov-nov Mike_in_nh's Avatar
    Top notch install, please let us know how the perform.

apriliaforum newb
    Nice job Mike . I have the Oxford's you so like ha ha Wallasey fitted them from the bike being new but I had to trim the TC control down and then moved the wire to the top only place it wasn't in the way but looks S--t have only had them on 100 % when I have got wet most times 50 or 80 % don't know how much wattage that is . It's get close to getting the full gerbring gear out not good being old used to think heated gear and grips was for pussy's but now I can ride all year and not thinking all the time I am cold but think about riding and be safe

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_in_nh View Post
    Top notch install, please let us know how the perform.
    They were 'ok' the other evening when it was around 12-14c coming back from Wales, but like all other heated grips I have had they take a while to get up to temperature as they also heat the handlebar as well and (IMHO) if you want to do real winter riding heated gloves would be better as they are insulated better and warm both sides of your hands

Oddly enough heated grips work better with thin sports gloves, but then the outer side of the gloves are also thin and dont insulate against the cold, thicker insulated gloves also insulate you from the heated grips

Quote Originally Posted by mikef4uk View Post
    They were 'ok' the other evening when it was around 12-14c coming back from Wales, but like all other heated grips I have had they take a while to get up to temperature as they also heat the handlebar as well and (IMHO) if you want to do real winter riding heated gloves would be better as they are insulated better and warm both sides of your hands

Oddly enough heated grips work better with thin sports gloves, but then the outer side of the gloves are also thin and dont insulate against the cold, thicker insulated gloves also insulate you from the heated grips

they transfer part of the heat to the handle and disperse it. so you lose part of the heat you would normally have for your hands.

in snowmobile applications, we fill the inner tube of the handle bars with polyurethane for windows... its light weight, and isolate heat VERY good

just use the cans with the stuff than doesn't expand too much.. I have done this with quads and snowmobiles and I must say it gets warmer and faster.

...if you want to do real winter riding heated gloves would be better as they are insulated better and warm both sides of your hands
    Actually, most heated gloves have very little insulation on the palms and none have heating elements on the palm. I use heated grips and heated gloves when it gets real cold and it works well.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

Quote Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
    Actually, most heated gloves have very little insulation on the palms and none have heating elements on the palm. I use heated grips and heated gloves when it gets real cold and it works well.
    Interesting, I always thought both sides would be heated but I imagine heating the inner wouldn't last too long, and another observation...........It gets cold in California ???

Interesting, I always thought both sides would be heated but I imagine heating the inner wouldn't last too long, and another observation...........It gets cold in California ???
    Yeah, no heating on the palms as you would feel the heating elements and they would eventually fail due to extreme movement. It gets cold up here in Northern-ish California. In the winter I commute by bike as long as it's warmer than 35F (~2C) in the morning. If it's below that I'll just drive. The time/sanity savings isn't worth it below that.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

apriliaforum prov-nov Mike_in_nh's Avatar
    Good to know, and heated gloves will be much simpler install too.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011