Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change sprocket 16T (front) and 43T(Rear) with 520 on shiver 2015. Any review?

apriliaforum newb

Change sprocket 16T (front) and 43T(Rear) with 520 on shiver 2015. Any review?

HI,

I m wondering to changed the sprocket to 16T/43T with 520 did x ring chain. The standard size is 16T/44T with 525 chain. Is there any changes of speed or torque if i change it (16T/43T 520)? My friends told me its not too much feel compare you change it to 15T/43T 520, but from the review this kind of sprocket (15T/43T) suitable if you ride in the track.

Please advice me.

Thank you for your opinion.

www.gearingcommander.com will give you an idea of the effect of the gearing change. It would depend on what type of track you are riding. If it's got long straights, then going down a tooth on the rear sprocket might be okay. Typically, people go the other direction (increase rear teeth) to benefit acceleration (at the cost of overall top speed). Many tracks do not have long enough straights to allow the bike to reach its overall top speed, so the increased acceleration is all that factors into play.

Take you bike to the track you ride most. If you can't get it to 10,000 rpm in 6th gear, then increase the rear sprocket (or decrease the front). If you bounce off the rev limiter in 6th, then the 43T would be the way to go.
    2014 DD 750 ABS - Spark exhaust, Arrow decat, headers (all ceramic coated), BMC filter, BikeMaster DLFP16-BS LiFePO battery, NGK iridium plugs, GPR steering damper, DD 1200 fully adjustable rear shock w/spring swap, 2016 Tuono Factory wheels, 15/44 520 conversion (PBR/Superlite/DID), Strada-7 fork preload adjusters, Samco 2-piece hose kit w/clamps, Engine Ice, Renazco Racing seat, EvoTech tidy tail, Aprilia grab handles, shorty levers, crank-case breather mod, evap-can delete... and a Rapid Bike EVO.

apriliaforum expert High Country's Avatar
    16/43 will give you a bit taller gearing. Basically, this gear change will make acceleration a tiny bit slower, but give you more top speed. This would be a good choice if all of you riding friends ride 600 class sport bikes with more top speed than you.

15/43 will give you a more noticeable shorter gear, which would be good for acceleration. For track use, I would think this would be the way to go, since most tracks don't have very high top speeds.

The 15/43 will also save a little weight because you will use a shorter chain. Switching to 520 chain will save weight too.
    2009 Aprilia Dosoduro 750 (Adventurized: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/a...893274&thumb=1)

apriliaforum newb
    Thank you for your information. So i assumed it will increase a top speed but a bit slow acceleration. I never go to track. Basically just a weekend ride with my buddy.

apriliaforum newb
    I just want to know if any members here experience with the sprockey 16/43t on his shiver. Any more inputs much more appreciate, because i got that 16/43t sprocket with 520 x ring chain from my friend with a very good price. So before install it, need to know if got any changes. Cheers all. Thanks.

one tooth up or down in the rear is a very fine adjustment, couple hundred r.p.m., you really wont notice unless your gearing for a specific track/corner, or trying to get out of a specific buzz range at your cruising speed

apriliaforum newb
    Thank you

I went down 1 tooth on the front to 15 and yes it had little more pickup, was easier to manage at lower speeds and lower distance range of about 220 kms. I changed it back to 16 when I went for a longer ride and glad I did with the lower revs in top gear and the 250 km range. I'm not in a big hurry to change the front back down to the 15.
    I'd rather be on my bike thinking about god than be in church thinking about my bike 8)

apriliaforum newb
    Hello can someone help me with the adjustment of valve timing for the dorsoduro 750

apriliaforum newb
    Hello can someone help me with the adjustment of valve timing for the dorsoduro 750

Quote Originally Posted by Moobeen View Post
    The threads have become a bit buried, but here they are. The first link is how to check them, and the second shows adjustment.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...lve+adjustment

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...17#post2258817
    2009 Aprilia Dosoduro 750 (Adventurized: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/a...893274&thumb=1)

apriliaforum newb
    Dear all, i changed the sprocket 16/43 with 520 chains. I found when in 's' mode, the torque a bit less. To reach 200km/h on the straight line easy..but once after 200km/h the speed become like less power compare with the standard size 16/44t.

apriliaforum Junkie
    16 / 43 is taller than stock by 2%, so your speedo is reading 2% slower than before. 2% of 200 makes for a solid 4 km/hr difference! Air resistance rises as to the square of the speed, so at 204 km/hr the bike has 4% more air resistance than at 200 km/hr, despite the speedo reading the same as before. So the bike will seem excessively slow according to the speedo.

I went with 15 / 43 on a Metzeler 180 / 55 tyre and it'll top out at 129 mph / 206 km/hr on the GPS, mainly because of the stock fuel enrichening over 9500 rpm. The indicated speed is slightly less than before (136 - 137), implying it was indeed quite a bit faster on stock gearing - it doesn't and never has hit the limiter.

We're looking at 9700 rpm on my current gearing and 9300 on the stock gearing for 129 mph - clearly the stock gearing is bang on peak power with the stock tuning, whereas my shortened gearing has blown right through it and is well on that designed-in downslope by then. Your gearing would only be spinning the engine at 9150 rpm, so should have some legs still. What's more, if you put my ECU on your bike, the speedo would be almost exactly correct with the same tyre...

15 / 43 is only 4% shorter than 16 / 44, but it is very noticeable. I intend to try a 190 / 55 tyre with 15 / 44 gearing, which is 5% shorter than stock. I'll be sticking with the 525 size.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

Quote Originally Posted by IndelibleInk View Post
    16 / 43 is taller than stock by 2%, so your speedo is reading 2% slower than before. 2% of 200 makes for a solid 4 km/hr difference! Air resistance rises as to the square of the speed, so at 204 km/hr the bike has 4% more air resistance than at 200 km/hr, despite the speedo reading the same as before. So the bike will seem excessively slow according to the speedo.

I went with 15 / 43 on a Metzeler 180 / 55 tyre and it'll top out at 129 mph / 206 km/hr on the GPS, mainly because of the stock fuel enrichening over 9500 rpm. The indicated speed is slightly less than before (136 - 137), implying it was indeed quite a bit faster on stock gearing - it doesn't and never has hit the limiter.

We're looking at 9700 rpm on my current gearing and 9300 on the stock gearing for 129 mph - clearly the stock gearing is bang on peak power with the stock tuning, whereas my shortened gearing has blown right through it and is well on that designed-in downslope by then. Your gearing would only be spinning the engine at 9150 rpm, so should have some legs still. What's more, if you put my ECU on your bike, the speedo would be almost exactly correct with the same tyre...

15 / 43 is only 4% shorter than 16 / 44, but it is very noticeable. I intend to try a 190 / 55 tyre with 15 / 44 gearing, which is 5% shorter than stock. I'll be sticking with the 525 size.
    OK, now my brain hurts.

So are you saying the stock gearing gives the best top speed when gearing vs air resistance is taken into account? I wonder if that is the case on the Dorsoduro as well, given it has slightly lower gearing and probably slightly worse aerodynamics. Of course there are other factors that distort that curve, such as weight/girth of the rider, elevation, etc.

I can hit the rev limiter pretty easily with 15/48 gearing, but I don't remember doing so with the stock ratio. If I was a skinny guy, I bet stock gearing would have the rev limiter right there at top speed. If I geared it too tall, I probably wouldn't be able to reach as high speed due to air vs lack of power to pull it.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by High Country View Post
    OK, now my brain hurts.

So are you saying the stock gearing gives the best top speed when gearing vs air resistance is taken into account? I wonder if that is the case on the Dorsoduro as well, given it has slightly lower gearing and probably slightly worse aerodynamics. Of course there are other factors that distort that curve, such as weight/girth of the rider, elevation, etc.

I can hit the rev limiter pretty easily with 15/48 gearing, but I don't remember doing so with the stock ratio. If I was a skinny guy, I bet stock gearing would have the rev limiter right there at top speed. If I geared it too tall, I probably wouldn't be able to reach as high speed due to air vs lack of power to pull it.
    Yes, when chasing top speed, you have to take into account the power available at a given road speed, as offered by the gearing (which dictates the engine speed). Ideally, you'd hit top speed at peak power (because that's the fastest you're ever going to go), but there's no guarantee there's enough power below that engine speed to get you there, which is where close ratios come in.

There is indeed so much to take account of, including the change in gearing due to the tyre deforming at speed, and even (in my case) GPS smoothing / interpolating speed over an appreciable distance. I think it's likely the bike will be fastest on slightly taller gearing, especially with mods, but only controlled testing will say for sure. I prefer the extra shove at slower speeds, personally.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast