Thread: Suspension upgrades for SR Max...... Do they exist?

Suspension upgrades for SR Max...... Do they exist?

Does anyone have any idea if there are suspension upgrades for the Aprilia SR Max? This would include the Gilera Nexus up to 300cc as well. I have made phone calls, sent emails and researched online and got zero results. There were a couple of near matches on shock absorber websites in Thailand and other Chinese ones but no definite information even when asking. Obviously I was contacting people who have no idea.
    Now, a lot of people say that if there is no listing for that particular model nothing else exists. I find that to be wrong. Having been and still deal in auto parts I know that there is an ability to cross reference and match parts that may and will fit. It just takes a bit of research by retailers and suppliers. I have noticed that customer service, apart from just looking up a catalogue listing is just about non existant.

I have even contacted Malossi with no reply. I'm sure they will have something that fits as they advertise that they cover shocks for all maxi scooters etc...

Sorry for the rant but my scooter is pretty bad to ride at times as I do ride it like a sports bike on a street circuit when going to work in traffic. Plus, when talking a pillion the suspension bottoms out even at the maximum setting. It's bad enough with just me on it. It doesn't help that here in Australia scooters are looked down upon.

Any ideas would be appreciated.......................................Name:  twins.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  24.1 KBIt would be awesome if Malossi or other resellers of suspension listed the actual specs of the product.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

apriliaforum Junkie
    I would measure the ETE length of the OEM shocks then measure the upper and lower mounting point diameters. If you take this info to a YSS dealer, they should be able to get a set for you. Is there any way that you can measure your current spring rate? That would be more useful info to pass on to the YSS guys to make sure the spring they put on is stiff enough.

I have contacted a few shops and they are just not interested. It's probably a scooter thing. As soon as that is mentioned it's a case of 'sorry, can't help. Get an OEM part'. I did find this YSS part RE302-340T-15-5 and it sated that it is for the SR max but YSS doesn't list it for that. I have no idea how 'm going to measure the spring rate as it can't be removed as far as I know other than taking the shock to a shop and getting the 'sorry, can't help' thing again. There is a local shock shop I may try that build shock but they cater mainly to the off road segment.

I finally got a reply to a query and was offered Hagons for $399 AUD..... I'm not sure about these as I have read some bad reviews but also a lot of good. I wasn't given a part number or further info. I emailed back asking about performance and to let them know my riding style to see if these will do it and am now waiting. Name:  thumbnail_Hagon-Road 0.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  41.8 KB

Got the shocks

I finally got what I wanted. Thanks Wemoto for helping me out. The dealer in Bangkok couldn't or wouldn't help me either. There is no service ethic left in this world. Anyway, The Piaggio liberty shocks are a perfect fit. I don't know why the listing for this part isn't updated. The ride is perfect up back now but there is one problem. I need to replace the spring as it states that the shock and spring set up is basically for one rider. It's a bit soft. When I take my daughter to work the scoot has to carry about 170kgs of persons so..... All good though. Now the fork is stuffed and the swing arm bushes and bearings are worn out. There is too much sideways movement up back. feels like it's collapsing when hitting a sharp bend or corner fast in a hard lean. Yikes...
    Name:  IMG_20171208_161657976 (480x640).jpg
Views: 110
Size:  418.7 KBName:  IMG_20171116_120924479 (640x480).jpg
Views: 112
Size:  447.4 KBName:  IMG_20171116_144040541_HDR (480x640).jpg
Views: 121
Size:  424.4 KBName:  IMG_20171116_144055249_HDR (480x640).jpg
Views: 109
Size:  447.4 KBName:  IMG_20171208_161657976 (480x640).jpg
Views: 110
Size:  418.7 KB

apriliaforum expert
    That is sad since Aprilia scooters historically have had about a 465 lb/211 kg rated payload. What is the nameplate rating of the SR MAX300? On-line I see that its curb weight 371 lbs/168 kg is about 50 lbs heavier than the Sport City that I ride but nothing about total weight capacity.

SpaceTiger posted a very detailed thread some years ago on how to measure spring rates and calculate what you have and what you need when he redid his Sport City even showing how he built the test jigs for measuring the rates of the existing springs and shocks. I believe he had to purchase the shocks and springs separately to get things dialed in just right.
    Last edited by Rockynv; 12-31-2017 at 11:59 AM.

apriliaforum Junkie
    looks good. Things to remember... shocks arent usually model specific when produced.
    Mounting holes, clevis', etc can be swapped pretty easy.
    And yes I hate when you go to an autoparts store and asked for XYX model sparkplug and they ask "What year make & model car?" No go to your sparkplug shelf and find the # I just gave you.

Keep us posted about your engine's swing-arm bushings.
    I'm replacing my swingarm's needle bearings and teflon bushings for the 2nd time at 50000kms.

Gilera nexus / aprilia sr max have serious issues down there. Swing-arm parts are very sensitive.
    -Aprilia SR Max 278cc