Thread: Rear Wheel/Swingarm Spacer

apriliaforum newb

Rear Wheel/Swingarm Spacer

I noticed that the rear wheel spacer (the tapered cone that spaces out the swingarm) is not very precise on my scooter. It causes the swingarm and shock to move when the rear wheel rotates. Anyone else have this issue?

Here's a video of it... notice the gap between the spacer and hub is not consistent.
    https://youtu.be/iEsWljQ1Res

apriliaforum expert
    I have seen that from errant tire techs that put the washers on the wrong side of the swing arm extension. Some folks even damage the hub of the rim or experience damage to the splined shaft from this. How many miles on the bike and how many of those have you put on it?

It really should not impact the trueness of the rear wheel unless the splines in the wheel hub have become worn from running with it loose for some time since with the spacers in the wrong order the wheel does not tighten correctly and can end up sliding back and forth on the splined shaft. The spacer should not have any shiny wear spots on it as it does not rub against anything when properly installed and rotates as one unit with the wheel hub, drive shaft and bearing in the swing arm extension.

Check the hub of the rim and the splined shaft for abnormal wear while you have it apart.

apriliaforum Junkie
    why dont put it on a thick piece of glass to see if it needs to be machined?

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    How many miles on the bike and how many of those have you put on it?
    A little under 10,000 miles.

I ordered a used replacement from eBay, and it eliminated the problem completely. The wheel and hub are still perfectly true, but there is a little play in the hub when the swingarm is not installed... could possibly be normal.

The replacement spacer was from the same year bike, so I truly think that mine was machined incorrectly from the factory.

It's also worth noting that I recently broke an exhaust stud, and wonder if this might have had something to do with it (the exhaust bracket would oscillate with the swingarm). My exhaust (PM tuning) uses only the rear two bolts in the swingarm, so it would probably vibrate pretty good at high speeds.

apriliaforum expert
    Yes there is a little play but mind you not very much. I have seen the rear mud guards and muffler shattered to pieces by even the clutch shaft having a bit of slop in it especially on some of the other brands that do not have a support bearing in the CVT cover and a swing arm extension.

I got hit by a Buick Rainier who caught me on the exhaust shield of my Sport City and pushed me over a few lanes and the bike only needed a replacement heat shield due to cosmetic damage so the design is by nature quite sturdy. Glad I was able to keep it vertical and did not go over. Bumper in my thigh left a quite a bruise too and then the driver tried to run for it. He did eventually stop and paid for the replacement heat shield.

Glad to hear your getting yours straightened out. Hopefully you will have a good clean string of great riding days in your future.