Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: need help with unsusual tire wear

  1. #1
    apriliaforum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Elmsford New York
    Posts
    178

    need help with unsusual tire wear

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4637.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	483.2 KB 
ID:	335009Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tire1.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	480.6 KB 
ID:	335010Hey guys, need help understanding what was going on with my tire wear last track day.

    NJMP thunderbolt-- running in intermediate group, middle pack. lap times average 1.58 sec. ( started going back to the track after 4 years of being off).

    1. 2016 rsv4 rr with Pirelli SC SP v2-street tires.

    2. tire pressure = 30~31 front/26~27 rear HOT on tire warmers. Running warmers to preserve tire life.

    TC on 4 in the in the morning and then 5 after lunch (2:00PM)

    Temperature= 60 degrees, no clouds morning sessions/75degrees afternoon temps, no clouds.


    Tire wear was nice and even after each session in the morning. At noon, the rubber looked like it was melting off excessively, on the sides after lunch.

    the only difference between morning session and lunch was that I ran the tire warmers on hot (185 degrees) in the morning and TC on 4. In the after noon I ran the tire warmers on low (135) with TC on 5. what could of been causing this excessive peeling/melting??

  2. #2
    apriliaforum Junkie
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    292
    the tyre wear looks pretty good to me, possibly over heating a little but not much, maybe pressure a little bit too low but only a couple PSI - I would have gone up to 29 psi. and re-evaluated. looks like you had fun !
    They are street tyres so won't stand the heat as well as an SC1 or 2.

  3. #3
    apriliaforum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    124
    Can't say for sure unless you have lap times, but I would guess you went faster in the afternoon and started overcooking the street tire. If you see this coming on at your next track day, you could try adding more pressure to reduce the flexing in the tire and have them heat up less. The trade off at some point is of course grip, so don't over do it.

    Note: I have been doing track days for 10 years, but I am by no means a tire expert. I would check with Mike at Metric Devil Moto and order your next set of Pirelli tires from him as a thank you.

  4. #4
    apriliaforum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Elmsford New York
    Posts
    178
    thanks guys. My lap times stayed pretty much the same,.58 ~2.01. wasn't pushing it because I am still learning the bike. The pics are of the rear tires only. front was fine. The rear felt slippery after lunch, the front felt great throughout the day.
    Last edited by nickxx4360; 06-09-2017 at 02:28 PM.

  5. #5
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    France
    Posts
    545
    This is the SC - SP.
    I have ran these on the track with the factory demo bikes, after hard use you can see the bands where the multi compounds are, i.e. The shoulders and the centre band.
    you can almost make it out on the left side 1/3 up from side wall on yours.

    it all looks good to be fair, if it was more chewed we would question pressure and suspension setup.
    You don't say your weight stats, I'm 1.8M and 90kg with kit, 29F / 26R hot.

    Can get about six good sessions out of the SC2 (V2), shoulders are finished, tyre still retains good shape, centre band with miles left in it.

    Yours look to be in the ballpark, and quite typical of Pirelli wear. Enjoy right to the end.

  6. #6
    apriliaforum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Elmsford New York
    Posts
    178
    Thanks for the input! I am 5'9", 171 without gear. BTW

  7. #7
    apriliaforum expert erick1670's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,631
    NJMP T-bolt is known to chew tires.... yours looks pretty good... the rear felt loose a bit because your were pushing a little more in the afternoon and they got hotter.
    These tires are not a full DOT'S, if you ran Michelin Pilot Supersport or Dunlop Q3 at a high intermediate pace, they get mushee too...

    Time for you to get rear DOT's or slicks....

    RSV4 R 13 (Street & Track)
    RSV4 RR 16 Track ( construction done )
    Honda CBR 600RR 07 (Track)
    Ducati Hypermotard SP 18 (Street)
    Ducati Xdiavel S 16 (SOLD )

  8. #8
    apriliaforum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Elmsford New York
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by erick1670 View Post
    NJMP T-bolt is known to chew tires.... yours looks pretty good... the rear felt loose a bit because your were pushing a little more in the afternoon and they got hotter.
    This tire are not a full DOT'S, if you ran Michelin Pilot Supersport or Dunlop Q3 at a high intermediate pace, they get mushee too...

    Time for you to get rear DOT's or slicks....
    Erick, how are you buddy?? I thought the SC SP V2's are full DOT's??

    I have a new set of SC 2's DOT race, waiting to get mounted.

  9. #9
    apriliaforum expert erick1670's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by nickxx4360 View Post
    Erick, how are you buddy?? I thought the SC SP V2's are full DOT's??

    I have a new set of SC 2's DOT race, waiting to get mounted.
    Nope....

    RSV4 R 13 (Street & Track)
    RSV4 RR 16 Track ( construction done )
    Honda CBR 600RR 07 (Track)
    Ducati Hypermotard SP 18 (Street)
    Ducati Xdiavel S 16 (SOLD )

  10. #10
    apriliaforum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Elmsford New York
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by rsnet View Post
    This is the SC - SP.
    I have ran these on the track with the factory demo bikes, after hard use you can see the bands where the multi compounds are, i.e. The shoulders and the centre band.
    you can almost make it out on the left side 1/3 up from side wall on yours.

    it all looks good to be fair, if it was more chewed we would question pressure and suspension setup.
    You don't say your weight stats, I'm 1.8M and 90kg with kit, 29F / 26R hot.

    Can get about six good sessions out of the SC2 (V2), shoulders are finished, tyre still retains good shape, centre band with miles left in it.

    Yours look to be in the ballpark, and quite typical of Pirelli wear. Enjoy right to the end.
    Thanks bro :-)

  11. #11
    apriliaforum prov-nov
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by nickxx4360 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4637.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	483.2 KB 
ID:	335009Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tire1.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	480.6 KB 
ID:	335010Hey guys, need help understanding what was going on with my tire wear last track day.

    NJMP thunderbolt-- running in intermediate group, middle pack. lap times average 1.58 sec. ( started going back to the track after 4 years of being off).

    1. 2016 rsv4 rr with Pirelli SC SP v2-street tires.

    2. tire pressure = 30~31 front/26~27 rear HOT on tire warmers. Running warmers to preserve tire life.

    TC on 4 in the in the morning and then 5 after lunch (2:00PM)

    Temperature= 60 degrees, no clouds morning sessions/75degrees afternoon temps, no clouds.


    Tire wear was nice and even after each session in the morning. At noon, the rubber looked like it was melting off excessively, on the sides after lunch.

    the only difference between morning session and lunch was that I ran the tire warmers on hot (185 degrees) in the morning and TC on 4. In the after noon I ran the tire warmers on low (135) with TC on 5. what could of been causing this excessive peeling/melting??
    There is almost no tire wear, what you see is rubber you picked up from the track. The solution is to drive faster

  12. #12
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    France
    Posts
    545
    Not sure how good these photos will show up on screen. Anyhow Pirelli SC2-V2.
    120km, 4 sessions and heat cycles. 1.8bar rear hot and 2.1 front.

    Track temperature was 104 (45C - 36c Air)

    The front could go again or used for a warm-up / practice, but for me this pair are toast. ( I sell the pair on EBay or such-like for someone to finish off on the road or whatever).

    Last two sessions I has some big slides, out of the seat slamming my shins on the footbegs (our tracks are clockwise and mainly rights).
    You can see clear here the three bands where the centre is harder than the shoulders, the right had side has worn down to the wear markers, left has a little left.
    New ones in the Pirelli truck awaiting me at Le Mans first week in July.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pirelli sc 2 left.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	213.6 KB 
ID:	335626Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pirelli SC2 centre.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	251.5 KB 
ID:	335625Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pirelli sc 2 right.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	244.2 KB 
ID:	335627
    Last edited by rsnet; 06-19-2017 at 10:28 AM. Reason: addition text

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-23-2017, 11:45 AM
  2. Need Help With Tires
    By johnyd in forum RSVR and RSVR Factory (2004-2009)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-06-2011, 12:05 PM
  3. need help with rear brakes. no preaseure!
    By josho44 in forum RS50 Technical
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-15-2003, 02:30 PM
  4. need help with rear wheel spacer order
    By josho44 in forum RS50 Technical
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-09-2003, 01:29 PM
  5. need help with rearsets(brake peg)
    By solosyko1 in forum RS250
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-14-2003, 08:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •