Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: R.i.p. Nicky hayden

apriliaforum expert Powerful Pierre's Avatar
    If you look at the photos the stop sign is painted on the road in large letters on the junction. Sooner or later the full story will come out but its not going to change anything, just a second or 2 either way it would prob have been a near miss.

I see Kev Shwantz is tying himself in knots over this because they had bumped into each other having a morning run on the beach earlier and Nicky asked him if he wanted to go on the ride later.....Kev had to decline as he hadn't got his bike in Italy but he's thinking that if he'd held Nicky up a little longer chatting this would never have happened. He can't do that, in no way is he to blame.....but the 'if only's' always gnaw away when things like this happen.

apriliaforum expert twinkiethekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cggunnersmate View Post
    As much as I hate to say this but based on some reports and the photos, that Nicky was likely most at fault for the accident, visible stop sign or no, he should have slowed and checked it was clear before entering that intersection. Quite possible the car driver was moving quickly, whether though even at a legal speed the driver would have no warning if Nicky crossed into the intersection at a good clip.
    If everything I see is correct, this is Nicky's point of view before the accident. The cross street speed limit is a posted 50kph/30mph. There are stop signs on either side of the road, but given the height of the bushes on the left, I wonder if either party saw the other before it was too late.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Accident Sight.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	344.5 KB 
ID:	333634

Quote Originally Posted by Powerful Pierre View Post
    If you look at the photos the stop sign is painted on the road in large letters on the junction. Sooner or later the full story will come out but its not going to change anything, just a second or 2 either way it would prob have been a near miss.

I see Kev Shwantz is tying himself in knots over this because they had bumped into each other having a morning run on the beach earlier and Nicky asked him if he wanted to go on the ride later.....Kev had to decline as he hadn't got his bike in Italy but he's thinking that if he'd held Nicky up a little longer chatting this would never have happened. He can't do that, in no way is he to blame.....but the 'if only's' always gnaw away when things like this happen.
    Someone should give Kevin a good kick to the head before he goes too far in that kind of thinking.
    Last edited by twinkiethekid; 05-25-2017 at 06:59 AM.
    '03 Falco, in the fast colors
    '15 Caponord #119

Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to roast in the depths of a Slor that day I can tell you.
    Constitution Allah Ackbar Tea Party bomb abortion patriot gun IRS Islam dog whistle Obama prayer tax surveillance

I think this can all be left out. How it occurred, who was "at fault", like it fucking matters..... it's done, and we are poorer for it. Let this stuff be.
    Gen 1 Tuono
    Tuono V4

Quote Originally Posted by Nonno View Post
    I think this can all be left out. How it occurred, who was "at fault", like it fucking matters..... it's done, and we are poorer for it. Let this stuff be.
    I agree, this changes nothing. And everyone is still in mourning.
    THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS, TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER!

Quote Originally Posted by JimT. View Post
    I'll always remember that Sunday in 2005 when he won at Laguna. It was the first time I saw a Moto GP race in-person. He made that day so much more special. He was a true American racing hero.
    I was there too. And it was indeed quite moving.
    2003 Tuono: Leo Vince slip-on, Factory Pro Chip, custom mapped Power Commander III, HiFlo AFE air filter, '00 snorkle, Forged Alum-Marchesini Wheels, Ohlins Shock, GP Suspension internal Showas, EVO Fuel Pres Modifyer, 525-16/43 final drive (after I wore out the 520), TCM low rear sets, Scorpion Lithium Battery, Pirelli Angel GT's.

apriliaforum expert Powerful Pierre's Avatar
    Agreed, it changes nothing, just don't like anyone being assumed to be responsible before the truth comes out.

Especially if the driver was not at fault. A tragic accident like this has to weigh heavy on one's heart. And the next morning you see it is one of the most beloved riders in the world.

apriliaforum expert cggunnersmate's Avatar
    Agreed, it changes nothing, just don't like anyone being assumed to be responsible before the truth comes out.
    That was my point, fingers and assumptions were already being directed at the car driver.
    Brent
    Chief Gunnersmate
    U.S. Coast Guard (retired)
    Orlando Area
    '12 Tuono V4
    '03 Tuono (For Sale)
    '01 Speed Triple (RIP) 8/26/11
    '98 GSXR 600 (traded for the Tuoldo)
    '86 VFR Interceptor (died in Puerto Rico 20 years ago)

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiethekid View Post
    If everything I see is correct, this is Nicky's point of view before the accident. The cross street speed limit is a posted 50kph/30mph. There are stop signs on either side of the road, but given the height of the bushes on the left, I wonder if either party saw the other before it was too late.

Name:	Accident Sight.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	344.5 KB 
ID:	333634

Someone should give Kevin a good kick to the head before he goes too far in that kind of thinking.
    Yes, if he had kept him longer he may have missed this accident and been involved in a different one. Guilt over nothing.

I am no forensic scientist, but looking at the photo,s and the direction of the car, It looks like Nicky was going straight across to the other road. The road which the car was traveling doesn't look to be a very busy one and nicky has probably taken that route a hundred times. However you look at it, Its bad all round for both sides.

That's a dark place to potentially let yourself fall into.
    2013 Tuono APRC ABS
    1982 LeMans Mk3

Always leave people better than you found them!

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The 2nd best time is today!

Quote Originally Posted by 02RSVVT View Post
    A tragic accident like this has to weigh heavy on one's heart. And the next morning you see it is one of the most beloved riders in the world.
    Unlike in this country, most Italians won't need the news to tell them who Nicky was. I had a friend from Kentucky who was visiting Italy like ten years ago. The shop girl who's ringing up his clothes says Kentucky? I know that place somehow. He says Kentucky Fried Chicken maybe? She all of a sudden remembers, the Kentucky Kid! Nicky Hayden! That's how loved he was. This poor driver ... .
    Beware the festive dog; drive soothingly over the grease-mud, for therein lies the skid demon.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not screaming in terror, like his passengers -- Jack Handey

apriliaforum expert

Name:	Nicky Hayden.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	304.9 KB 
ID:	333655

Met him a couple of times....first time I saw him he was screaming over turn 1 at Laguna Seca 2005.
    I'll always remember that smiling face. rip MR. Hayden
    Driving Force at ducatitoolrental.com
    Motorcycles: a celebration of the human condition.

Face book witch hunts bother me Oh wait is that why i'm not on it ....I got to see him in person last two years I thought that was cool I remember the good stuff.

I have the <mis>fortune of being in the southeast this weekend, and saw a news report about the Coca Cola 600 Nascrap race today. In an interview, driver Jimmy Johnson said "I'm racing this weekend for Nicky Hayden...", then they showed a few clips of Nicky riding. Maybe it brought Nicky's name and career to some folks who otherwise wouldn't know.
    JD

Futura
    Bunch of dirtbikes

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast