Thread: rear wheel locks up after 4 miles

apriliaforum newb

rear wheel locks up after 4 miles

Good day to you all:
    I have two issues. The first and most pressing for my 2009 MP3 500 is that the rear wheel locks up after about 4 miles. Locks up tight.
    The previous owner wrecked the bike but I have driven it for about 1000 miles since then with no issues. I recently ordered the body panels and replaced them.
    Anyone know what is going on?

Thanks

apriliaforum expert
    If there is moisture in the brake cylinder it will expand and lock up the caliper. When was the last time the brake fluid was flushed out and replaced? If the rear tire was recently replaced they may have gotten the spacers out of order so that the caliper is rubbing too.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    If there is moisture in the brake cylinder it will expand and lock up the caliper. When was the last time the brake fluid was flushed out and replaced? If the rear tire was recently replaced they may have gotten the spacers out of order so that the caliper is rubbing too.
    Thanks for your response. The issue turned out to be that the master cylinder was blocked. I changed out the lever - cylinder (should have flushed the old one out... duh.) and presto, the whole thing works again. Unfortunately, I wore off some of the clutch material trying to find out the problem.... oh, well, another day.