Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Tuono engine dying coming to a stop

apriliaforum newb

2017 Tuono engine dying coming to a stop

Hi All, for some odd reason my 2017 Tuono keeps dying on me as I shift to first gear coming to a full stop. The dealer keeps saying "they could not duplicated the issue" however it happens multiple times during a ride. The one mode I did is have the dealer install CRG levers on it and they say it has nothing to do with this symptom, anyone else having this issue or could assist in what to look for or why may this be happening? thanks for your help in advance.

The S1000r has micro switches which are actuated by the clutch lever. These are there for several functions....one of which is cruise control.

Several early S1000R owners were having stalling issues due to bent actuation arms (typically caused by ham fisted installation of aftermarket clutch levers and/or adjusting the clutch lever too close to the bar preventing the switches from being activated which resulting in stalling.

Sounds like you're dealing with something very similar. Look under the clutch perch for the switches and verify they are being actuated while pulling in clutch lever.

Good luck.

Not sure if it's the same thing or not, but mine stalls whenever the clutch lever is engaged when coming to a stop. But only after descending from elevation. Can't figure it out but am exhausting every avenue trying to solve it.

Doesn't happen when I stay at the same general altitude as when she's started up (keyed ignition).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    www.thailongly.com
    www.flickr.com/tl2bass
    @TL2Bass (Instagram/Twitter)
    2016 Tuono 1100 RR
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT 1050

Motorcycle.com Contributing Writer / Guest Tester
    www.motorcycle.com

STG Sponsored Rider
    www.sportbiketrackgear.com

Not sure if it is the reason but mine stopped today in traffic because the bike temperature was around 235ish. I just had to let it cool down a little before getting to start and not immediately shut off.
    2017 Tuono RR

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by RF27 View Post
    Not sure if it is the reason but mine stopped today in traffic because the bike temperature was around 235ish. I just had to let it cool down a little before getting to start and not immediately shut off.
    That's not normal. I had a 2012 and now I have a 2016 factory.
    These bikes run hot but even in 100 degree weather in stop and go traffic in Denver, it should not be overheating.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by RF27 View Post
    It should not get up that high. Did the fan come on? I have yet to ride my '16 in really warm weather but highest I've seen so far is 221F.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    That's not normal. I had a 2012 and now I have a 2016 factory.
    These bikes run hot but even in 100 degree weather in stop and go traffic in Denver, it should not be overheating.
    It was odd that the bike was that hot when the temperature was only 80, even if it was in stop and go traffic. I'll check the coolant reservoir and call my dealer tomorrow and hopefully nothing's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    It should not get up that high. Did the fan come on? I have yet to ride my '16 in really warm weather but highest I've seen so far is 221F.
    I can't say for sure, but I don't think I heard it turn on.
    2017 Tuono RR

apriliaforum newb
    Thank you so much guys, it is actually stalling even at straight and level so I don't think it is an elevation or a slope issue, Lowrance, I will look under the clutch perch for the switches to make sure they are clear and not bend. Sorry RF27 for the overheating, assuming the coolant level was checked, it sure sounds like the cooling fan is not coming on as it was designed, you should not see temperatures above 220-225 max as Luciano mentioned. It's a new bike and the dealer should take care of it under warranty. Best of luck.

apriliaforum Member
    I've had similar. Only had the bike a couple of days but it has happened 4 or 5 times... 2nd gear, approach junction, clutch in ready to downshift to 1st and engine cuts out

Quote Originally Posted by MooseMiller View Post
    I've had similar. Only had the bike a couple of days but it has happened 4 or 5 times... 2nd gear, approach junction, clutch in ready to downshift to 1st and engine cuts out
    Have you changed levers as well ?

Do you know if the dealer done a dash update before delivery ?

OK, so it's not only me and my 2017 Factory. I have had it stall on me 3 times so far when pulling in the clutch and coming to a stop. This has happened over the course of 700+ miles of riding, so not every time, but just randomly. Also, I've noticed the temp get to almost 230 degrees in 70 to 80 degree weather. I've then tested at home and the fan comes on at 214 and then shuts off when it cools the engine to 207. However, on the street I see the temp rise, have felt the fans come on, but the temp keeps rising. I've now flushed the coolant from the dealer and just put in water wetter and distilled water to see if it keeps it from rising, but doubtful.

It sounds like you guys are having the same issue the early S1KRs had. If you adjust the clutch lever too close to the bar in order to have a shorter lever pull you will not be actuating the micro switches and your bike will stall. Try adjusting your clutch lever as far from the bar as possible and see if the symptoms still persist. If you've installed aftermarket levers make sure the micro switches still function when you pull in the lever.

Both Aprilia and BMW use the same Bosch electronics so would stand to reason symptoms and resolution would be the similar.

Cheers and good luck.

This was happening to me with the stock levers and I can confirm the switch was working. I have now just put new levers on, and confirmed again, and the stall happened again yesterday, as I switched levers over Saturday.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jv4 View Post
    Have you changed levers as well ?

Do you know if the dealer done a dash update before delivery ?
    I haven't changed levers.... However, I had specced Evotech levers and the dealer reported that the ones originally shown on the Evotech website for 2017 (now removed) do not fit. I think this may be the brake but I do not know if they fitted the clutch side first before returning to original. No idea about the s/w update.

I'm still not clear on how the micro-switches would cause an engine cut out. I get the switch thing in terms of e.g. cancelling cruise, but why would the switch cause the engine to cut out??

Fuel cut is disabled when the switch is actuated (e.g., when clutch lever is pulled in). If switch is not actuated when pulling in lever bike will not be getting sufficient fuel to maintain idle.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast