Thread: Slipping Clutch

Slipping Clutch

So my clutch is slipping and I have a few questions for you guys.

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...?idproduct=880
    This is the clutch I plan on buying and my main question is that it says I must have an updated pressure plate from the DEALER. How do I know if this has been installed without opening it up? (my engine number is 688307 so I need it.)

Was this update on the pressure plate some sort of recall? I searched for recalls on Piaggios site and nothing came up, also various other sites but haven't found anything about a pressure plate.

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...idProduct=2641
    I'd really like to save the $116 if possible.

A little off topic probably totally coincidental but I changed my oil shortly before my clutch started slipping. The only reason I say that is I saw someone else talking about oil and a slipping clutch. I'm running maxima synblend4 https://www.amazon.com/Maxima-349128.../dp/B000GZQOUY

Thanks for the help guys.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...tch-fixed-READ

Just found this thread... It's exactly what my bike is doing. "slipping over 8K."

No recall. Unless it has been changed you have the early pressure plate. The clutch was upgraded in several ways for the 01 year model but the U.S. did not get the new engine till the 02 year model.

How many miles are on the bike? Have you changed the clutch lever? Changing oil brand or type can often cause slipping on the early models. If your clutch is within specs you can probably cure the slipping by roughening up the steel plates. I bead blast them but others have had good results with various grits of sand paper. If you choose one of these methods be sure to thoroughly wash the plates before installing.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

It says 16,000 on the dash but I'm positive its closer to twice that if not more. The rotors have quite a bit of wear. Unless the guy before me put used rotors on, there is no way that amount of wear comes from 16,000.

It does have ASV levers but its had them since I've had it, about 3,000 miles ago and it hasn't started slipping until recently (i.e. the recent oil change). I've always had problems bleeding the clutch though I've tried multiple times when I first bought it and still have been able to get the air out. Even trying the reverse bleed method. But I haven't messed with that in quite sometime.

Why would changing the oil cause slipping? How can I check this and see if its something simple I messed up when changing? It looks good through the sight tube but I did add more than I thought it needed.

So you wouldn't recommend changing everything out? At least until I try roughening up the steel plates. What about that valve they are talking about in the thread I posted?

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by yamaholic; 04-27-2017 at 09:39 PM.

There is no valve. What often happens when people install new levers is that the new one pushes the MC piston in too far preventing fluid from flowing to and from the reservoir.

Changing oil can cause slipping because you introduce new slippery chemicals. Due to the design of these clutches they were right on the edge of being able to handle the engines power. That's why they were redesigned for the 01 year model. The steel plates get polished over time and there is less friction. I doubt you did anything wrong changing the oil to cause this. I had this same thing happen when changing brands of oil at only 9,000 miles. Still have the original clutch.

I would try roughening the steel plates.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

Thanks Mille I'll let you know how it goes.

I just got back from a 6 month deployment and now it's time to get this Mille running right.

So to re-open this thread back up as I never actually pulled the trigger on anything. My questions becomes... http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...?idproduct=880 This Barnett clutch kit which I have a question about... On AF1 it says I will need a new pressure plate if my engine number is below a certain number as stated in my first post. My engine number is below that however I can't seem to find on any other site that says this. I assume AF1 knows best but if anyone has installed this clutch kit before I'd like to hear if you replaced it or not.

Or
    http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...+%2D%238106634 http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...+%2D+AP8106633

The 2 options are closely priced (if I have to buy the pressure plate with the Barnett kit) and after calling the GPmotorcycles parts department here in San Diego they can get slightly better prices on all of these part numbers. (except the Barnett kit that I would order through AF1).

Thanks for the help guys.

Dump the oil and use 15/50 semi synth as per the manual.

Not using this exact oil will cause clutch slip.

Also you clutch ASV lever is also probably installed wrong. The after market clutches on the RSV seem to depressed the valve too much at the rest position. It should have .05 - 1cm of play prior to pressing the ball joint probe into the clutch valve on the master. Try screwing the push rod thing on the clutch so its at its furthermost setting.

having it rest on the valve or slightly depressed will cause clutch slip, i know because it happened to me. i went back to standard lever after having asv type for this exact reason.

here is a google search with hundreds of threads about it

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=c...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Last edited by rocketnz; 11-25-2017 at 10:33 PM.
    0̶̶̶6̶̶̶ ̶̶̶A̶̶̶p̶̶̶r̶̶̶i̶̶̶l̶̶̶i̶̶̶a̶̶̶ ̶̶̶S̶̶̶X̶̶̶V̶̶̶ ̶4̶5̶0̶
    99 Aprilia RSV 1000 Mille

Roughen up the steels in the clutch pack before you go buying anything. I still have the original pressure plate and clutch in my '99 mille at over 75,000 miles. Every 15,000 miles or so I start to get a little slip and roughening up the steels fixes it for another 15k. I've been using Mobil 1 15w-50 full synthetic car oil from Walmart for the vast majority of those miles. My clutch pack and springs measure within the tolerances, but the steels get shiny like a mirror. Roughing them up with sandpaper, bead blasting, or even scuffing them up on the concrete (an old pit trick for racers I've been told) brings them back to life as long as they have not been burned or warped due to excessive slipping and the stack height is within tolerance. The workshop manual has all the measurements you need. If you use sandpaper like I do, be sure to wash them before reassembly to avoid getting grit in the engine. I use dish washing soap and hot water in the kitchen sink and then dry and lube them with motor oil before reassembly.
    Last edited by DanV990; 11-26-2017 at 12:31 AM.
    1985 Honda VF500F Interceptor Red
    1985 Honda VF500F Interceptor Blue
    1992 BMW K1100RS ABS
    1993 Honda CBR600 F2
    1995 Ducati 916 Monoposto
    1999 Aprilia RSV Mille

Dan and KZ are on point for you here.
    m
    marco bjishkian
    Rocket Ride Cycles
    1855 SW 4th Ave B-17
    Delray Beach FL 33444
    Authorized DynoJet Tuning Center

Thanks for the help guys. So I didn't have a lot of garage time this weekend and just flushed the oil and put in some 15/50 to see if there was any difference. And just like you guys said, the slipping has decreased by a large margin! It now only slips when I really get on it. For now I'm going to commute with it until I can get some time to rough up the plates. Thanks for help guys.