Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Novice Racer

Finally raced our first endurance of the year on our R3. 8 hour race, finished 5th overall and 2nd in our class out of 28 teams. Great start to the season. Also did some sprints on the RSV4.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PicsArt_03-26-06.23.41.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	377609team grid..

Hell yeah! Post up a quick recap or something!

Nice job Richard & team!
    2017 RSV4 RF (x2) - (1) FOR SALE
    2010 RSV4 Factory - SOLD
    2014 Beta 520 RS

OMRRA #99
    Sponsored by:
    Aprilia Portland
    HSBK Racing
    Cox Racingroup

Quote Originally Posted by dazo View Post
    Hell yeah! Post up a quick recap or something!
    Quote Originally Posted by flobrandx View Post
    Nice job Richard & team!
    Thanks

Racing Recap from CMRA race weekend at NOLA Mar 22-24

First time at this track along with my friend and endurance teammate. Had Friday practice to learn the lines, both of us Novice racers. I did not realize that apparently grid placement for the first race weekend of the season was determined by when you registered for the race. I ended up starting last row in each race.
    Sprint races on my 2014 RSV4

First race on Saturday – Superstock A
    started from last row, 19th position. not much to say here other than I worked my way up through the pack to a 7th place finish, still learning the track.

Second race – 8-hour ultralight endurance – Yamaha R3 (4-man team)
    Started mid pack and each rider ran a full tank of gas (approx. 1 hr. 15 min each)
    Our first rider worked his way through the pack up to 4th place by the end of his ride. Our second rider started in 5th place due to the pit stop, but at lap 40 he pitted unannounced, gear shifter came loose and was hanging, luckily, we did not lose the bolt and got it back together. The pit stop due to the mechanical issue took 5 min 20 sec (just over 2 minutes longer than normal) and dropped us to 12th place overall. He got back out and moved up to 9th prior to pitting, then our third rider moved up to 5th at the end of his stint (lap 113). I went out at 7th place following the pit stop and gained one position up to 6th by the end of my stint, but did battle back and forth with the 5th place bike during my ride. We remained in 6th place, until after or last pit stop, our last session rider was able to move up to 5th overall and 2nd in our class at lap 207, just two laps short of race end, total of 209 laps. The race was stopped early at approx. 7 hours due to loss of visibility as the sun set. (race started a little late due to some delays with the morning sprint races).

Sunday I competed in 3 sprints

1st race - Superbike Novice
    Started 21st (last on grid), happy with my results from where I started. By the first lap I moved up to 7th and finished in 5th place.

2nd race - Formula 40

This was a wave start with expert riders going first, followed by novice a few seconds later.

Again started near the back, I got a great start with launch control, by the first turn I was in 2nd place for the novice group just edging past my teammate into the first turn. He passed me back at the end the first lap into turn 1 and I hung with him until passing him with some late breaking into turn 11 on the 5th lap. It was just prior to this that I noticed my gas light was on, probably on a lot longer than I realized. I maintained 2nd place for just a few turns, then entering the last lap into turn 1, cannot believe I let this happen, but ran out of gas. Thought I would have enough to finish, but in retrospect for safety reasons, I plan on pitting out If I ever have my gas light come on again.
    Some friends we were pitting with left the track that morning a put the rest of their gas in our bikes, apparently it was not as much as I thought.

F40 video from my friend's bike (I am on the RSV4 with gold wheels).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PmP...tjiGjfFU5qzfs4

3rd race – Formula 1
    Started last row again and got a good launch moving to near the front of the pack in first gear, quick shift to 2nd and hit neutral, took a few attempts to get to 2nd gear, but by then the riders I just overtook passed by. Twelve riders in this race and I was able to work my way back up to a 5th place finish. (This race was shortened from 6 to 4 laps, again due to diminishing daylight)

Not quit how I wanted to finish my sprints, but could not be happier about our endurance race finish.

Need to start getting my head down.

Great job! Register earlier next time for better results!

Great job! Register earlier next time for better results!
    Should have said my first round for the season.

Grid position based on points after racers first round of the year so I should be good to go. Still would have been somewhere mid or back of grid as I missed the first round in February.

Great job even with the set backs!
    2017 RSV4 RF (x2) - (1) FOR SALE
    2010 RSV4 Factory - SOLD
    2014 Beta 520 RS

OMRRA #99
    Sponsored by:
    Aprilia Portland
    HSBK Racing
    Cox Racingroup

Will you have better grid position now that you have done a round? The club I race with has a qualifying session, so I don't really know how it works in clubs that do it the way yours does.

Will you have better grid position now that you have done a round? The club I race with has a qualifying session, so I don't really know how it works in clubs that do it the way yours does.
    Definitely, our club only has qualifying for a couple of the premier expert races.

Race report from CMRA May 17-19 at Hallet Raceway, OK

A little delayed.

Practice on Friday May 17 - should have taken it a little easier on practice day, last session of the day I came in to hot into the last turn trying to pass to get behind my friend / endurance teammate and went off track tumbling. Sprained hand and bike plastics beat up. Decided not to sprint as I wanted to thoroughly go thru the bike. Glad I did, took it to the track for testing after new fairings fitted and found it getting stuck in gear. Picking up new shift selector rod tomorrow from AF1 which should fix the issue but missing CMRA round 4 in Houston this weekend. Should be good to go for round 5 in July.

Name:	IMG_20190518_101211_736.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	383505

We did compete in the 6 hour ultralightweight endurance race (2nd race of the season) on our Yamaha R3 on May 18th. Race started in the rain and our first rider was staying up front between 1st-2nd place until lap 28 when he went down. 5 min pit and he was back out but went down again a few laps later. Repairs took 32 minutes and 2nd rider went out in 19th position. He moved to 18th and after his stint was complete I went out and moved to 17th. I came in after running full tank of gas and we swapped out our rear rain tire as the track was drying up. Our starting rider went back out maintaining 17th, but highsided with 1 hour left. He rode bike back to pits, did some more repairs (new clip on) and I finished the last hour. Ended up in 17th overall and 10th in our class. Not what we hoped for, but did stick with it and finished the race with no injuries. Next endurance race in July.

Name:	IMG_20190518_220542_356.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	383506

This race weekend was the 5th annual Westby Classic and Mr. Westby was there along Mathew Scholtz racing on an endurance team. Mr. Westby provided catered food for all the racers and staff that evening.

Should be ready for both endurance and sprints for our July race weekend.
    Last edited by Richd748; 07-01-2019 at 08:33 PM.

apriliaforum newb
    nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Richd748 View Post

Will be racing ultralight endurance with my teammate also, finished our R3 garage paint job.
    I totes wanna do small bike endurance racing! The local club here doesn't do those, they used to do a 4 hour, maybe they still do, but it's only at the end of the year. M1GP does some endurance stuff for 300cc bikes, but they are mostly centered around pit bike racing on kart tracks.

We have a race R3 too. Need to find a club that does the endurance stuff

It is definitely a blast. Our small bike endurance class has grown, usually around 30 bikes out there. Always some action with another rider.

Quote Originally Posted by turboblew View Post
    watching the MotoAmerica races at VIR last weekend... you could see some guys purposely riding wheelies or floating the front over rough portions of the track.
    There are a couple places there where the line lends itself to doing that. I have thousands of laps there.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Richd748 View Post
    It is definitely a blast. Our small bike endurance class has grown, usually around 30 bikes out there. Always some action with another rider.
    Good on you guys for getting after it!!

I raced the WERA National Endurance series for years on SV's. '03 and '09 LWT Championships. We would sometimes enter 3 bikes/teams in an event.
    Drove all the way to Vegas and Salt Lake (3600 mile roundtrip, MMP at the time) from Ohio just for a wknd round of racing. Crazy chit right there. But tons of fun and memories and would do it all over again.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast