Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How do you ride a Guzzi quickly?

apriliaforum expert norcolmille's Avatar
    for street riding
    I really enjoyed the "pace"
    relevant and informative

just be smart and safe
    I have a "new" 1198 superbike in the garage - I found the rsv4 more civilized and manageable than the duc.....- and on the street / canyons it is simply ridiculous. A lot of fun but also a handful.

I like the Griso I ride and the new v7 we hope to make road worthy - I enjoy riding a slower bike fast ......just be smart and

critique yourself after - find experienced and considerate riding partners and realize
    you will catch them in a few seconds in any case ....

it is ok to be smart and at your limits
    present
    now a 2017 Aprilia Tuono RR let the mods begin
    sold the fun little 675 daytona
    previous - two Gen2 "Factories"
    5 past Apes and other rides too numerous to mention

apriliaforum newb
    Ok.

I owned a 2012 V7R for five years and pushed the hell out of the small block heron head with maybe 40 HP. Its all about being smooth and keeping the pace. The bikes punch above their weight, believe me. You need tolerance for some edge of handling tire and braking and geometry characteristics.

Bought a new 2017 V7III Special about 2 months ago: massive improvement on the 2012. Ten more hp, and geometry much better for fast cornering. Still breaking in, but at Guzzi factory tour I was very impressed with new engine. ABS brakes and 6 speed tranny help immensely. If you really want to go fast on a Guzzi, get a well sorted Griso big block 4 V. Love these bikes.

apriliaforum Member PocketFighter's Avatar
    my uncle had a Guzzi 1200 Sport 2008 (I believe it was an 8V model?), like yourself, it was one of those "slower bikes" that I liked to ride fast, I did find it awkward to ride however like... i needed really long arms ... Orangutan style! and I did find myself getting on the power relatively early upsetting the bike mid exit, actually felt like it oscillated side to side.. I guess thats the characteristics of the bike though?

I did find it fun to ride fast though, i mean, it was one of those bikes where there was power literally from the get go and the handling for such a heavy bike was pretty damn brilliant, it did run out of revs quick though... but I had at the time been riding my little ZXR400 on the road which has a redline of 15k lol if anything I wouldn't mind owning that bike one day, easy to ride slow and easy to ride fast!

Name:  moto-guzzi-breva-1200-sport-8-600x390.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  54.3 KB
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow
    Learn as if you were to live forever

Ron at Lakeside on his track bike.....

Yeah, there's a bit of a back story........
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum expert coolonthecoast's Avatar
    I used to have a 1200 Sport Guzzi before I bought my 1200 Capo TP. Both 1200cc V twins, both very different, the Guzzi was deceptively fast and handled well for such a large heavy beast, I'm no Valentino Rossi, but keeping up a flowing momentum through the turns, i.e not too much heavy braking in and carry as much speed as you can throughout the corner works well on the Guzzi IMHO.
    Last edited by coolonthecoast; 02-09-2018 at 11:12 AM.
    40 odd powered two wheelers over 40 odd years. Currently in the garage are a 2016 Tuono V1100RR and a '79 Honda CB550F

apriliaforum expert
    One of the strengths of a Guzzi is that no matter how hard you spin the motor it still flips from side to side easily. Unlike other big twins, which when you rev up the motor become heavier to steer, Guzzi's spin their crank sideways and as such the crank doesn't act like a big gyroscope. That allows a big Guzzi to steer much easier and faster than a bike that big should. The down side is when you get on or off the gas it does react in one of two directions.
    I am a fan of riding the "pace", using little brakes and trying to keep your speed up through the corners.
    Something that can help you learn to ride better is setting up a course in an open, unused, parking lot. It doesn't matter if you never get out of first gear. If you can hustle a bike around in tight spaces like that, even dragging hard parts, you will learn a lot about the limits of your bike. We used to have organized events at Buell dealers around here, where they ran you solo against a digital clock. You could really see the improvement it had on my wifes riding. She learned how to lean her V11 over much farther than she thought it could. It made her a much better and safer street rider.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Guzzimoto, you are talking gyroscopic precession - takes a bit of getting your head around with forces acting at 90 degrees to movement.
    Cheers.

That Sport is cool. Speaker Cycles had one like it, but with this exhaust system on it. drool.......

Name:  MOTOGUZZIBreva1200Sport-4684_2.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  90.3 KB
    02 aprilia Futura
    15 aprilia Caponord 1200

Man...that Griso doesn't look too bad with that fairing on it. What fairing would that be??

Name:  37376357021_140f8182b0_z.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  87.2 KB
    Last edited by rdbandkab; 02-21-2018 at 05:07 PM.
    02 aprilia Futura
    15 aprilia Caponord 1200

It's old-Kawi-ish, sorta?

Not absolutely sure where the fairing came from. I'll ask Ron next time I see him.

I have a customer in Sydney with an 8V Sport, (You didn't get them in the US, dunno why?) with that exhaust system on. It was sold as a 'Race' system for the old pushrod engined bikes and came with another ECU which had another, dreadful, map in it. On the 8V we tweaked the standard 8V-Sport map for it and it did sound glorious without being obnoxiously loud. That was the same bike that stripped its oil pump gear but the owner noticed the light and called me thereby saving his engine! Would of been a shame to loose that one!

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

I found to ride Guzzis fast you had to be careful/smooth with throttle transformation. Close it off to fast and they react a little. You do get use to it. Also pick a line and stay with it. They aint a point and shoot bike.
    The V4 Daytona was less sensitive to throttle on off. They had a lighter flywheel I suspect. Same with the Centauro.
    I loved them both.
    Tuono Racing + KTM 990 Adventure =

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234