Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Loose Rear Wheel

apriliaforum expert commandodave's Avatar

Exclamation Loose Rear Wheel

I was servicing my chain last night when I noticed that the rear wheel was loose on the hub. This is the second time that this has occured. The first time was when the Futura was returned from its 15,000 km service. About 1000 km later I found the wheel loose during chain maintenence. The wheel rocked sideways on the hub so that I had maybe 6 mm back and forth at the tire. I figured that the mechanic did not properly torque down the rear wheel. I tightened the wheel and rode on. The problem was that my torque wrench only goes up to 136 N-m (100 Ft-lb), to I took it to there with the torque wrench and then added a little extra grunt to reach the proper 175 N-m (128 Ft-lb).

So...about 1000 km later I noticed it was loose again. Not so bad, but maybe 3 mm play. The screw spun maybe 1/4 turn before meeting resistance when I was retightening it. This time I put a lot more ass into the wrench, to the point where it might be overtightened. But not to the point of "tighten it until it strips, then back it off a hair".

The real point of this post is to warn others of this problem and ask if I am the only one this has happened to. Any ideas why it might be coming loose?

Dave

Is the locking nut, the snap ring and the woodruff key in place?
    If I just gave you mechanical, personal, legal or medical advice, it's up to you to get a proper diagnosis from a qualified expert.

Yes, yes, and yes! Which makes me wonder how the darn thing can come loose, anyway.

Dave

The real point of this post is to warn others of this problem and ask if I am the only one this has happened to.
    Me, on two different Futuras.
    This Must Be The Place

I've never had mine loosen on me in almost 20,000 miles.

....Every time I need to remove it, it has "cracked" loose after using a long bar for leverage on the socket.

Will
    "It ain't eazy bein' cheesy!"

apriliaforum Member

I suspect

the woodruff key is missing, or the ring not seated properly on the woodruff key. It is so tiny it's easy to miss.
    02 Ash Futura
    06 Caponord

Re: I suspect

Originally posted by jmarkey
    the woodruff key is missing, or the ring not seated properly on the woodruff key. It is so tiny it's easy to miss.
    ...if it's NOT something along that line, then look for some seriously misshapen or damaged parts. Those are the only two possibilities I can think of.
    If I just gave you mechanical, personal, legal or medical advice, it's up to you to get a proper diagnosis from a qualified expert.

reminder

brings back memories of the problem the guy had with the mechanic not mounting the wheel with the locater pins inserted into their respective holes on the rim......... Just another thing to be aware of!
    Last edited by rdbandkab; 07-23-2004 at 08:50 AM.

I agree....I believe that for the nut to losen that much (on more than one occasion) something must be missing or installed improperly.

I know you've checked already, but worth another check IMO.

Is that screw or "bar" on the inside of the hub that the "legs" of the retaining lock nut engage with ?

How bout that little "key" ?

Maybe you just need to add a wire or two to the rear wheel so the hub won't overheat ?!

****EDIT***GO TO PAGE 3 for NEW PHOTOS****SORRY****

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Will

***EDIT*** sorry, my pictures suck....I goofed something up!
    Last edited by VikNWill; 05-30-2005 at 04:47 PM.
    "It ain't eazy bein' cheesy!"

Rear Wheel Update - Update

Warning! Warning! Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!

Here we are almost a year later and I finally figured out what is going on. In answer to the intermediate posts, all parts were there, woodruff key, etc. I have continued to have problems with the rear wheel coming loose. I have been PMing the thing every tank refill. The locating screw needed maybe 5 degrees of tightening almost every time. Tonight I removed the rear wheel and checked one more time. Woodruff key intact and in place, et. etc. What I did find is that the holes in the rim for the locator pins were ovaled out on one side. The metal around the holes had a ridge about 1/3 of the way around. Possibly the high spot occurred because the rest of the metal was worn away by rubbing. The erosion may have been happening for some time, but I got in the habit of just tightening it up. The locating pins seem to be unaffected, I will mike them to be certain.

Now how in the hell can you pin this on the dealer for not torquing the wheel down right in the first place over a year ago?

So.........

I need a new/used rear wheel. Anybody have one for sale here in the USA? Or are there any aftermarket wheels for the Futura? I can always use a little bling!

Dave

I'm not sure if this is the cause and seeing all other suggestions have confirmed the suspicious parts are all there, but check to see the little locating tang on the hub hasn't fallen out from a previous service. From memory, when refitting the rear wheel the manual suggests to have this facing up.

Quote Originally Posted by morelli
    I'm not sure if this is the cause and seeing all other suggestions have confirmed the suspicious parts are all there, but check to see the little locating tang on the hub hasn't fallen out from a previous service. From memory, when refitting the rear wheel the manual suggests to have this facing up.
    The tang (woodruff key) is there. It fits into a matching pit on the hub. The tapered collar that the screw snugs down has a slot machined into it. This slot fits over the woodruff key to prevent the tapered collar from rotating with the screw.

Dave

Is there enough meat around the ovaled holes to bore the hole oversize & have a sleeve pressed in by a machine shop?
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

Quote Originally Posted by commandodave
    The tang (woodruff key) is there. It fits into a matching pit on the hub. The tapered collar that the screw snugs down has a slot machined into it. This slot fits over the woodruff key to prevent the tapered collar from rotating with the screw.

Dave
    Sorry to repeat what was already said. I didn't know it was called a "woodruff key". Could probably start a whole new thread on the origin of that name.

apriliaforum expert
    Last time I had my rear wheel off I took a close look having seen a couple of these threads. If everything else is installed propoerly, it's just not possible to spin the nut without inflicting damage (not the alignment pin's).

As a test, I installed everything properly, all lined up, flush etc, but left it finger tight. Then put the lock nut in place w/ the circlip. Specifically to see if it's possible to spin when not torqued down properly. It doesn't. It can't. Those parts do the job. If those parts are in place there's no way you can spin the wheel without breaking/munching a bunch of stuff. The lock nut, the little bar that the lock nut engages with and if those spun, the woodriff key would then get munched. Ultimately the inside of the rim where that engeages the axle sits would be scared too.

Now, I'm NOT advocating to blow off torqueing it down properly. Personally, I wouldn't throw a leg over it if I couldn't check the exact proper torque at least twice.

So, if you're saying that entire assembly is rotating, all those parts together, and they are NOT getting munched, then something at the other end of the axle can't be right. Start checking out the hub on the left side and make sure the entire axle with wheel assembly isn't spinning somehow.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast