Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: IRC auto-blipper install notes

apriliaforum Member kneedragger101's Avatar

IRC auto-blipper install notes

I installed the IRC auto-blipper last night and finished it today. Although the directions really do suck I found it mostly intuitive. These directions suggest that one should mount the "Blue" and "White" boxes on each side of the instrument cluster support. I did not do that, instead I mounted them inside the frame on the sides of the airbox. First off, I took the Scotch tape off each box that has the word(s) "Blue" and "White" written on them and replaced that with electrical tape in the respective covers. Next I got some 3M Velcro from Home Depot and mounted the white box on the left inside of the frame just below the front cylinder air pressure sensor. I did the same sort of thing on the other side of the bike with the white box. The connectors from the white box go to the upper part of the demand sensor on the left of the bike and the blue ones go on the bottom. There were some issues with the gearbox position indicator as I didn't plug in the connectors correctly and got the P0461 error (Gear Position Sensor).....hmmmm, still not sure about that one as they are plugged in the opposite of what I thought they should be. I plugged the three pin connector together the opposite way and there are no issues now. I rode the bike around the block and it seems to be working well. It should be noted in the directions that the ecu for the IRC auto-blipper get power from the headlight plugin so I had to re-connect the front fairing with the headlights and once the bike was started and the headlights came on a moment later the ecu had power and displayed the number 81. I don't know what that number means. Because my bike is setup with "gp-shift" I needed to make one change to the IRC ecu. I pushed BOTH buttons with the bike started, this displayed the "t" menu item, I scrolled to the last menu item by pushing the bottom button until I saw the "CE" menu and I pushed both buttons again. This allowed me to toggle from "C" to "E" as options. I selected "E" and then pushed both buttons again so save my selection. Once I did that the blipper and stock quick-shifter seemed to function as I expected when I took a very short spin around the block. I will test more and report any other configuration changes I felt necessary after I get the chance to ride it again, hopefully tomorrow.
    Last edited by kneedragger101; 01-13-2017 at 11:54 PM.

apriliaforum expert MamboItaliono's Avatar
    Very cool - I appreciate your share and suspect a LOT of people are going to be reading this in the months to come....

nice you find a place for the bliper boxes that can be used in treet bikes too!

were do you placed the load cell control module?
    Aprilia bikes ECU tuning and reflashes since 2004!
    --
    Please like and Follow the #gabroracingteam socials!
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/gabroracingteam
    IG: https://www.instagram.com/gabroracingteam
    YT: https://www.youtube.com/GabroRacingTeam-GRT

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Not a good idea to place those boxes between the frame and airbox IMO.
    The space is too tight and will create more work next time the bike is serviced, like a valve adj.

Look at the photo... when placing the control box in that position the wires on the front MAP sensor were "stretched" to make room for the box.
    Doing so damaged the connector. The wire locking tabs that keep the pins tight inside the connector are no longer locking the pins. Those two blue rubber water seals should not be sticking out of the connector body like that.

Those wires not making a good connection caused your second error P0106 that I helped you diagnose and reset with the PADS.

The most important tip when installing something like this is pay attention and don't damage the wiring connectors.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by amauri; 01-14-2017 at 10:29 AM.
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

I mounted it inside the rider's left subframe rail beneath the seat with some velcro.

Those wires did get pulled out a bit because I was making all the wiring tidy with zip-ties and didn't leave enough slack for that sensor. I did get an error and Amauri was on-point helping me diagnose - I appreciate it. I found just enough room to mount those boxes without any concern. The velcro will let you remove them easily for any future work.

Blipper works really good, almost as precise as the FT ECU product for the Yamaha R1 and better than the blipper for the Panigale. Only one change was required to switch from standard shift to GP (reverse shift pattern).

apriliaforum Member
    What engine map do you use, I find that stock blip time is good in R and S, but in T map, it is too long and makes the bike pull forward. I'm at 20ms at minimum 4000 rpm, and 56 ms tS, still feels too long around 6-8k.

Installed two sets of IRC blippers as well. Boxes can also be installed underneath the fuel tank (2015 and 2016 RF).
    here are some pictures of the boxes installed on the two bikes (mine and friend of mine in Almeria, Spain).
    Footpegs are Extreme Components or Spider. They are technicaly the same. Shift rod in Caron fiber helps place the rod as near as possible to the frame
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2077.JPG 
Views:	325 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	325214  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spider-APRC.jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	524.3 KB 
ID:	325215  

Name:	siper-WSBK.jpg 
Views:	610 
Size:	529.4 KB 
ID:	325216  

Last edited by dslr; 01-23-2017 at 09:48 AM.

As many of you may know, the first series of blippers from IRC had the fuel pump runing permenantly as soon as the ignition was on. This problem has been resolved now by IRC and i got the official permission to post the modification to be made in the first series harness. ony one cable has to be clipped in order to have this little detailed fixed. it is of no necessity and will not influence the blipper in any way if you do not make the change.
    the new batch of blippers ready in february will already have this solved facotory wise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0177-2.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	460.7 KB 
ID:	325218  

Name:	IMG_0177.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	432.1 KB 
ID:	325219  

Name:	IMG_0176.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	460.8 KB 
ID:	325220  

Name:	IMG_0171.JPG 
Views:	232 
Size:	465.9 KB 
ID:	325221  

Name:	IMG_0170.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	476.5 KB 
ID:	325222  

Name:	IMG_0169.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	488.2 KB 
ID:	325223  

@dslr, I didn't notice the fuel pump running on mine. Hmmmm.

@paxal, I did notice a little surge or over-blip a couple times but nothing bad enough to make me change the settings yet.

apriliaforum Member
    anybody have some feed back from track test with their new blipper??
    Tommi
    RSV4RR with Race Pack (Track bike)

GSX-R 1000K8 track bike (sold aug 2015)
    GSX-R 1000K5 street bike
    RSV-R #298 (sold in 2006)
    CBR900RR Sold in 2000
    CBR600F2 Sold in 1994
    GSX400X Sold in 1993

Given that Aprilia has a habit of denying warranty for anyone who takes their bike to the track it may be a while until you hear back. I have ridden mine with the new blipper installed on Ortega Highway here in Southern California (a canyon road that is like a trackday) and I can say I am quite satisfied. I only needed to make the change I detailed above for reverse gearbox (GP shift). If you have some patience and take your time the installation is pretty easy. This product, so far, has worked great. My only criticism is that it doesn't actually know what gear you are in so if you were in first and tried to downshift again it does blip the throttle. It isn't a deal-breaker but that is the only oversight that I have experienced.

that's why it's connected to gear position sensor, so he can reconnaise neutral and no blip in 1st gear.. does your still blip?
    Aprilia bikes ECU tuning and reflashes since 2004!
    --
    Please like and Follow the #gabroracingteam socials!
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/gabroracingteam
    IG: https://www.instagram.com/gabroracingteam
    YT: https://www.youtube.com/GabroRacingTeam-GRT

apriliaforum Member
    Checked your issue today regarding blip in 1st gear, doesn't happen with mine. Had a good few hours on the bike and ended up at 50ms tS. For me this seems to be the sweet spot around the rev range.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast