Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Tires for the Futura?

Favorite Tires for the Futura?

It's about time for a new front tire which got me shopping around. I've been a long time Michelin PR2 user for my Bandit and have been pleased with them for the most part, particularly with the mileage. However, I see that there are many comparably priced sport touring tires that have gotten good reviews. Here are some options with prices from Motorcycle Superstore:

Pireli Angel GT

$121.59 front
    $157.69 rear ($172.89 Touring A spec)

Bridgestone T30 EVO

$110.99 front ($108.99 GT spec)
    $147.99 rear ($140.99 GT spec)

Metzeler Z8 Interact

$108.99 front
    $155.99 rear

Michelin Pilot Road 4

$142.99 front (151.99 GT spec)
    $181.99 rear ($193.99 GT spec)

It seems like the best bang for buck goes to the Bridestones or Metzelers. What tires do y'all have experience with and what are your thoughts? Do you recommend getting the Touring/GT spec tires for this bike?

MCN ST tire comparison

FortNine ST tire comparison

Ron Haslam Bridgestone T30 review
    '07 Aprilia Tuono 1000 R
    '02 Aprilia Futura
    '02 Suzuki Bandit 1200
    '02 KTM 520 MXC SM

I don´t want to discuss tires, but from what I understand GT tyres are for the really heavy touring bikes.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC 320mm brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch.
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

apriliaforum expert thesprocket26's Avatar
    A shop and I looked at the non vs GT PR4s and figured that even with a fully loaded Futura, I would not need the GT series. I am happily on my second set of PR4s and feel they work great in all types of temps and weather conditions for the NW. They are ok on gravel roads up to about 25mph. Fully loaded 3500mile tour of ID, MT, BC Can, WA, and OR and they didn't miss a beat. Not very squared off either. I can try and get a pic for you this afternoon if you want. Guessing they have 4k on them currently.
    If your idea of sport-touring is multi-position seats, cruise control and electrically-adjustable windshields, you’re probably not Italian and you don’t deserve a Futura. - Kevin Duke

2001 RST1000 Futura - GSXR coil mod, Magnecore HT leads, Honda reg/rec mod, custom built twin tail mufflers, LED high beams, LED front turn lamps, LED rear brake and turn lamps, Oxford heated grips, Oberon clutch slave, fancy blue hardware bits, air horn mod, pannier stainless cable retention mod, large Odyssey battery mod, 05 fuel map

I've been running Q3s, but I place a premium on traction. They're not real long-lived, but that's ok by me.
    JD - Hurricane Nuker

Futura
    Bunch of dirtbikes

I've been running Michelins, the Roads (OEM), PR2, then the PR4. For the front, Michelin changed the tread design to minimize the cupping you'd see over time with the PR2. I am impressed with the new PR4, the redesign is a welcome improvement.

This set has about 12k on them, tread looks great.

With the deluge we've been under these past few days around Sacramento, wet traction is very good.

Bob

I use and swear by the Pirelli Angels.
    I have now used the both the ST's and GT's and to be honest, couldn't really tell them apart.
    Now if I was Valentino Rossi and used the tyres to their fullest, I could have a decent review but I'm not, I don't and I don't.
    I'm in the UK where it's probably wet most of the time (before you say it!) and never had an issue. They have 5k on them at the mo and they look like they'll do another 5k easy.
    Got a fair few trips planned this year (Le Mans 24 hours & Belgian F1 at Spa) so will get through those miles by the summer.
    Andy

Current: 2002 Futura RST in Silver
    Datatagged, 05 Map, Metal QD, H Pipe, Bef Cans, RSV De-restrictive Snorkel, RSV Forks & Brakes upgrade, NGK DCPR8EIX Iridiums, Earthed Throttlebodies, FPR Mod, Vee Max Starter Solenoid with uprated cables, FH008EE RR & Wiring Mods, NWS Hugger, Oxford OF691 Touring Hotgrips, Accessory & USB Sockets, HID Headlight, Pirelli Angel GT's

Up in Flames: 2001 Futura RST in Blue
    Datatagged, 05 Map, Skidmarx DB Screen & Hugger, K&N Filter, Brown Connectors soldered, R&G Hotgrips,
    Acumen DGV, Scottoiler, Accessory Socket. BikeVis Bullets

Andy, I see in your signature that you have "earthe throttlebodies".
    What's the point with that?
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC 320mm brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch.
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

Quote Originally Posted by deefred View Post
    Andy, I see in your signature that you have "earthe throttlebodies".
    What's the point with that?
    Possibly 'no point' and a 'snake oil' effect!

I used top race bikes & cars, my race bikes never had a battery so there was no voltage running through it anywhere but on my car, it actually smoothed out the throttle response. To be fair, they were metal injectors and the Futura has plastic injectors so possibly no effect will be seen however, the throttle bodies on the Futura are not actually earthed so I earthed them along with doing the FPR mod. Doing both together was not the wisest move but the bike is smoother than it ever has been.
    I am not promoting this as a 'must do', some notice a difference and some don't.
    Andy

Current: 2002 Futura RST in Silver
    Datatagged, 05 Map, Metal QD, H Pipe, Bef Cans, RSV De-restrictive Snorkel, RSV Forks & Brakes upgrade, NGK DCPR8EIX Iridiums, Earthed Throttlebodies, FPR Mod, Vee Max Starter Solenoid with uprated cables, FH008EE RR & Wiring Mods, NWS Hugger, Oxford OF691 Touring Hotgrips, Accessory & USB Sockets, HID Headlight, Pirelli Angel GT's

Up in Flames: 2001 Futura RST in Blue
    Datatagged, 05 Map, Skidmarx DB Screen & Hugger, K&N Filter, Brown Connectors soldered, R&G Hotgrips,
    Acumen DGV, Scottoiler, Accessory Socket. BikeVis Bullets

I also had Pirelli Angel STs fitted for my last set and was impressed. I haven't managed the same sort of mileage from them as Andy but I've given them some abuse and a fair bit of it fully loaded so I'm not complaining. Probably about 5-6k miles and the rear needs replacing now. Plenty corner grip right to the edge of the tyre and I rode through a torrential downpour in France with water running across the road for a couple of hours - although there was a bit of movement when crossing white lines in those conditions I was happening with the wet weather performance.
    2003 Futura, blue.
    Mods: metal fuel QD, FH020AA R/R, K&N, airbox mod, GPR exhausts, R&G, starter solenoid upgraded, FPR mod, top box rack, side stand cutout, 05 map, fuel tank drains plugged, ignition coils and leads, Oxford heated grips, 12V socket, Hagon shock.
    Previously: ZX6R 636, Firestorm VTR 1000, ZZR600, KR-1.

* happy
    2003 Futura, blue.
    Mods: metal fuel QD, FH020AA R/R, K&N, airbox mod, GPR exhausts, R&G, starter solenoid upgraded, FPR mod, top box rack, side stand cutout, 05 map, fuel tank drains plugged, ignition coils and leads, Oxford heated grips, 12V socket, Hagon shock.
    Previously: ZX6R 636, Firestorm VTR 1000, ZZR600, KR-1.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I have been using Bridgestone BT0-23 without any issues. Toured in Europe on them fully loaded. Have nothing to compare them to but rear tyre lasted just under 8-9K and I replaced it with another BT-023 one a month ago. No issues riding in the wet but I take it easy when wet.

Quote Originally Posted by hyperbole View Post
    I have been using Bridgestone BT0-23 without any issues. Toured in Europe on them fully loaded. Have nothing to compare them to but rear tyre lasted just under 8-9K and I replaced it with another BT-023 one a month ago. No issues riding in the wet but I take it easy when wet.
    Kinda surprised you were still able to find a BT-023 as they are now 2 generations out of date.

If you like the 023s (replaced by the T30), you'll like the current T30 EVOs even more. They might even approaching the end of their run by now.

What is the date code on those tires? I always ask to make sure I'm not buying rubber that has been sitting on a shelf for years.......
    If your idea of sport-touring is multi-position seats, cruise control and electrically-adjustable windshields, you’re probably not Italian and you don’t deserve a Futura. - Kevin Duke

2001 RST1000 Futura - GSXR coil mod, Magnecore HT leads, Honda reg/rec mod, custom built twin tail mufflers, LED high beams, LED front turn lamps, LED rear brake and turn lamps, Oxford heated grips, Oberon clutch slave, fancy blue hardware bits, air horn mod, pannier stainless cable retention mod, large Odyssey battery mod, 05 fuel map

apriliaforum prov-nov
    To be honest I did not do much research before buying and went with what worked before (I had them on my previous bike). And for my use case I am certain ANY decent tyre will do.

Still widely sold here
    https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/180826
    http://www.moto-tyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/...Fahrzeugart=MO

Local tyre shop had 10 in stock too so it was an easy decision to make. But as soon as the front one goes I might try a different brand just for comparison.

Thanks for pointing out though!

I used to use Pirelli something-or-other they were on sale for $170/pair. They only lasted 3k miles but they never slipped on me. The soft compound was great but flattened out on the long super slab 600+ mile days trying to cover ground.

I'm pretty sure the PR4 is a dual compound, so make sure you are comparing apples to apples when looking at tire life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast