Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bellagio fuel and air maps.

apriliaforum Junkie

Bellagio fuel and air maps.

Hi all,
    just a new map installed by Peter Roper and here is a quick seat of the pants report on the differences between a stock standard Bella and a stock standard Bella with a "Beetle" map installed.

Bike, 2012 Bellagio 12000km and in pretty good running order in having been tuned by a competent dealer at 10000km.
    Fuel RON 98, test run 2 1/2 hours with roughly 3/4 open highway and 1/4 suburban roads.
    Stock map used down to Pete's and the exact same route in reverse back home again with the Beetle map.

First thing of obvious note was the idle sound, both Pete and I both noticed it. To me it sounded more 'ordered' as in every firing stroke now sounded exactly the same and spaced out the same whereas before there was a slight definite repeated thrum happening like a 1234,1234,1234.

Acceleration - definite improvement and since the bike lacks a tachometer all I can go off here is feel, it felt like an engine that just has an oversize piston installed with new rings, honing etc - the engine felt slightly 'bigger' and strangely enough it felt like it now has a smaller flywheel as it mildly ignores the older inertial spool up.

Overun - gone is the popping that you get in the lower half of the rev range (something to do with cutting the idle setting of fuel injection whilst on a negative throttle). And I can just detect a slightly more progressive engine braking effect, by which I mean its softer on a partly trailing throttle now but still has full effect if the twist grip is slammed shut.

Mid range - the bike wants to go 10kmh faster for the same feel in each gear and its very noticeable in 6th on the highway.
    Previously 6th was only good for anything above 120kmh on a flat or descending grade and a roll on up a slight incline had Bella starting to growl and shake in 'give me a lower gear' kinda way. Now it that same growl has move to 130kmh before it politely asks for 5th instead.

Top end - only got to about 160kmh on the return trip and so can not really comment much here but again, it 'felt' stronger, and according to predictions the engine should be about 5 HP more powerful.

Fuel consumption - both the legs of the journey used exactly the same amount of fuel, 250km before the reserve light starts to wink at me but the difference here was average speed. The trip down with the standard map yielded an average speed of 95kmh, whereas the return run was logged at an average of 105kmh with a very conscious effort to try and ride the same way on both journeys for sake of comparison.
    The bike simply wanted to run 10kmh faster to reach its 'happy' spot, in short it now goes faster with the same amount of fuel being used.

Poodling around town - early days yet but the evenness of the new idle seems to allow this highly geared, torquey, longer than an oil barge of a bike to more easily 'idle' around roundabouts with less ignition pulse jerkiness and savage engine braking on a partially closed throttle.

In summation - the new map is far better than the standard one and to date, I can find no negatives. I know that this is my first Guzzi but I know what I like, and I like this map!

Well done Beetle and Peter.

Fuck-all to do with me. It's all Mark's work, ('GuzziOrDeath' here.). All I did was punch the buttons but the W5AM is a real pussycat now.

Current work is all aimed towards the MUIG-3. If any of the smart bastards have cracked the 7SM entry system want to share we'd love that too. No 'Competition', we're only interested in Guzzis. Amauri? Gabro?

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Another weekend ride through Kangaroo valley, out to Gerroa and back home saw about 4 hours and 250km travelled.
    Still can't find an issue with the new map and my initial opinion still holds.
    Will try a purely city circuit tonight and see if the blanket of darkness makes any difference!

It won't

apriliaforum Junkie
    You are right Pete, it made not a jot of difference.

Probably more telling would be using a different stations petrol, 'if' they all stocked 98RON.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Ok, the only negative to report is the cold engine setting.

The bike now must simply be warmed up fully otherwise it baulks at things like car park speed humps (there is a definite stutter and pause as you try and accelerate off the back of the hump) and stalling is a distinct possibilty if you roll the fast idle collar around to its off position prematurely.

Bear in mind this is happening here in Sydney with temperatures nudging 38 degrees C with the normal ritual of start bike, helmet and gloves on, roll fast idle collar around so that it idles normally ( after about 2 minutes running) and off we go.

Still, it might teach me to FULLY warm up the bike before launch but I always sit astride it whenever its running, so 5 minutes in that heat fully clothed seems like a jail sentence in a sauna!

Still happy overall though, and I am sure that the cold run setting can de retified.

Thanks.

Have you let Mark know? If not I'll let him know. Sounds like the ATC table needs a bit of tweaking.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    Have you let Mark know? If not I'll let him know. Sounds like the ATC table needs a bit of tweaking.
    Yes, but I don't talk 'GOOTZI' like you do Pete.

As I said I am over the moon once its warm, but cold starts and the warm up take very much longer now.

Typically it took 3 'chugga chugga chugga' starter motor cycles for the engine to catch before, now it can suffer through 3 or 4 rounds of the same in order to achieve it and you have to be camped beside the throttle to catch stalling. And a trailing throttle when cold can result in a flame out also. No big deal as I would gladly keep this map over the old.

Cheers.

Shouldn't be a problem. I'll draw Mark's attention to this thread so he can get it from the horse's mouth. Sounds like a fairly simple tweak.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I fix.

Chris, if you don't have the tools at home ride back up in the new year and I'll flip the new map into it.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Ride back 'up'?

I thought that south was 'down' or if the map is orientated of olde, to the right.

Expect a nose pressed against your shop front window then!

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by GuzziOrDeath View Post
    I fix.
    Thanks Mark.

Got the new map Chris. Ready when you are.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Probably come down at 15000km (at 13500 a the moment) for an oil change and plate fitment, if that's OK with you mate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast