Thread: 2013 Aprilia Mana GT--- ABS ISSUE

apriliaforum newb

SORTA SOLVED: 2013 Aprilia Mana GT--- ABS ISSUE

Hey guys, new aprilia owner here! I searched and couldn't find my problem being talked about. I recently bought the bike from an out of state dealer. It has about 2200mi and is in perfect condition, but the SERVICE ABS is showing on the display and the warning light is lit solid.

I went in and cleared the errors, turned it off, but they came right back on. The dealer said just ride it around, it should go away, but that didn't work. It isn't affecting any other functionality of the bike.

Anyone have an idea of what's going on?
    Last edited by psuxavier; 12-29-2016 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Issue was resolved

Have you checked the fuse is OK and connected properly? The ABS fuse is in the helmet compartment near the power socket and not in the main fuse box. It's a separate one on its own near the two master fuses.
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

apriliaforum newb
    I did find the ABS fuse in the helmet compartment, a 20A Yellow fuse. I didn't get a chance to pull it and check it before work, but I'll update this afternoon.

I also checked the diagnostic again, no errors---just "ECU 16" is marked "X". The service manual appears largely unhelpful in specifying what this means.

Here's an ECU error code list that Pharao posted earlier this year. I hope it helps.

Engine overheat ECU 01
    Pick-up sensor failure ECU 02
    Wrong signal from throttle position sensors ECU 03
    Wrong signal from throttle position sensor 1 ECU 04
    Wrong signal from throttle position sensor 2 ECU 05
    Throttle position sensor 1 malfunction ECU 06
    Throttle position sensor 2 malfunction ECU 07
    Throttle position sensors malfunction ECU 08
    Incorrect charging voltage ECU 09
    Oil pump malfunction ECU 10
    Air injector malfunction ECU 11
    Fuel injector malfunction ECU 12
    Ignition circuit malfunction ECU 13
    Fuel pump malfunction ECU 14
    Engine rpm limiter tripped ECU 15
    Error in ECU power supply ECU 16
    Rpm limiter tripped while starting ECU 17
    Engine temperature sensor malfunction ECU 18
    Coolant Temperature Sensor ECU 19
    Coolant Temperature Gauge ECU 20
    Injection System Warning Light (pre Digi-Dash) ECU 21
    Error on ECU Throttle sensor connection ECU 22
    Atmospheric pressure sensor malfunction ECU 23
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks! For the sake of conversation until I can get home to troubleshoot, is it possible more than one fuse would trip the same error? I ask because I checked the service manual which indicated a 15 amp fuse also activates the ABS module. Excerpt from manual below:

Electrical system MSS Mana GT ABS
    Fuses
    AUXILIARY FUSES
    A - Tail lights, Stop lights, License place light, Horn, Electric lock, Instrument panel power sup- ply, Transmission ECU power supply, Resistance module (15A).

B - Low-/high-beam lights, Heated hand grips (OPT) (15 A).
    C - Fuel pump, Coils, Injectors, Electric fan, Lamb- da probe, Start-up control relay (20A).
    D - Injection load relay, Electric fan relay, Injection control unit power supply, Engine Stop (10A).
    E - Injection control unit permanent power supply (3A).
    F - Plug socket (15A).
    G - Spare fuses (10 - 15 - 20A).

MAIN FUSES
    H - Instrument panel, Turn indicators, Glove-box light, Injection main relay (30A).
    E - Transmission ECU permanent power supply (40A). ABS FUSE The ABS fuse is placed inside the helmet com- partment.
    J - ABS fuse (20 A)

FUSES SUBDIVISION
    Each time the key is set to ON, the ABS module is activated by means of a:
    15A auxiliary fuse (NA 850 Mana ABS);

10A auxiliary fuse (SL 750 Shiver ABS / Dorsoduro 750 ABS)

apriliaforum newb
    Update-- I checked continuity in all the fuses. They're all functional. Scratching my head...it might be an electrical wiring issue?

Is there air in the pump? Would make the brakes spongy.
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum newb
    I definitely did not feel any sponge in the brakes, they feel brand new. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I'm not sure what the manual means with the statement about fuses, but it isn't the only anomaly that doesn't seem to tie up with the bike. I wonder if the "key on" statement is simply referring to the same fuse but has the rating shown incorrectly.

Other easy things to check on the ABS are the sensors and tone rings on the wheels. The sensors need to be correctly spaced near the rings and obviously need continuity, so worth checking their plugs and wiring as well. Any further checks are a lot more difficult as the ABS pump unit is under the helmet compartment.

I don't think air in the pump would cause a fault to be posted as I definitely had air in mine after I completely rebuild the front calipers and everything worked fine except the leaver was spongy for a while until the air worked its way out. Pete, have you experienced ABS fault codes before with air in the pump unit?

Nope, but I've only seen one ABS equipped bike to work on.
    Professional Goat Burster.

How is your battery? I know on some bikes a low battery will show up as a fuel injection fault but I remember on some of my BMWs low battery showed up as an ABS fault.
    Thunder Down the Highway - silently.

2006 Scarabeo 500 GT ABS with Velorex 565 Tour
    2006 Scarabeo 500 GT ABS without Velorex 565 Tour - "Rubber Cow"
    1956 BMW R50 in process of restoration
    1969 BMW R69S - Black, the classiest color
    2014 Mana 850GT ABS - Black, the fastest color

apriliaforum prov-nov
    You can put it on the PADS computers to cycle the pump and that is the only way you can bleed the brakes. Fixed an issue I was having.

apriliaforum newb
    chrisrappl, I got the battery tender plus yesterday and charged her up. No dice, still showing the issue. Gonna try locating the sensors and rings next. The inspection is up so if I can't figure it out, I'll take it to the euro dealer to figure out and report back haha.

apriliaforum newb
    Solution! Well, not really. Turns out the fault needed to be cleared with their computer, and it didn't reappear.. although another underlying fault was discovered that didn't show up, or maybe masked itself as an ABS fault? The air temperature sensor under the tank had been cut by the dumbass who owned it before me. Apparently this was done as a poor-man's way of making the engine run richer since it tricks the computer into thinking it's cold outside and gives the engine more fuel. So his botched electrical work cost me about $210.00. Asshat. But I digress.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, they wold have worked if there had actually been an issue!
    Last edited by psuxavier; 12-29-2016 at 04:21 PM.

apriliaforum newb
    Excellent posts, thanks to all. I have the same bike with the same ABS warning light, the ABS is not working.

How do I reset the error?

I will try the suggestions posted here before taking it to the dealer.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk