Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sportcity 250ie -->350ie swap

apriliaforum prov-nov

Sportcity 250ie -->350ie swap

Hi Aprilia scooter riders,

Sorry for my not perfect english- I still learning;-)
    Im Balki from Croatia. Two years ago I bought my 1st "bigger" scooter Sportcity 250ie with 24kkm after my few 50/70ccm "rockets". In same time I started to follow several forums including Apriliaforum, Mojskuter, Modernvespa.. and get ideas for some "upgrades".
    I made bigger valves in original head and piston machining, tuned airbox, rised fuel pressure to 3.5 Bar, put Polini Hi Speed... but nothing happens. ECU simply doesn't alow any significant performance improvement (actually was no any improvement except Polini vario;-)
    Then idea was born about engine swap and research started...
    Since Beverly 350ie share the same 250/300ie engine without any chasis or body adaptation I found that "project" can start. I found used 350ie engine with wheel and support arm. Wheel still had original tire what means that runs about 10~max15 kkm;-)
    On ebay I found starter, airbox, manfold, exhaust, lambda, harness... and ECU without keys.
    Guy from local forum mojskuter.com programmed me key transponder like "master key" and gave me needed antenna.
    Original SC harness have 26 pins connector so I cut 350ie harness, found 26 pin male connector from faulty Bev500 ECU and made interconnection cable 26->34 pin.
    From 350ie injector i removed original "rail" pipe (wo flow) and put rail pipe from original 250ie injector with flow- on this way I didnt had to make fuel pump modification.
    With antenny and precisely placed transponder new ECU "recognized" key what I seen by added blue LED with 2kOhm resistor...
    I successfully put original SC engine supporter to engine with small effort but found that whole engine and wheel stays 17mm "offset" on side. Small cut and weldings + few washers solved this problem and now all stays perfectly alligned. I must say that previously I "filled" support silent blocks with "SIKA Tack Drive" car glass seal and they are now much more stiff. Bottom end of shock absorbers also asked for modification but side cutter and welding machine was my friend again;-)
    Finally I get what I want- fun, quick and agile scooter for city and local roads what not shame from longer seaside trips;-)
    After few weeks of testing I found that gear was filled with gear oil but I replaced it with Eni i-ride 15-50 based on manufacturer SVC bulletin since they found that "wet clutch" doesn't like high density gear oils.
    Here are some photos what can help if someone want to make the same on his Vespa or other scooter with Quasar engine;-)

Finally I have one request for help- since rear tire is now smaller (150/70-14) my tachometar is not accurate anymore- Wheather someone has worked in Aprilia R&D team and have advice how to make calibration of dash for this new tire size? (I'm aware that this is loooong shoot but I have to try;-)
    New dash grafic always can be 2nd solution..

[/URL]

Last edited by balki; 02-03-2017 at 09:19 AM.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Good job, you might try getting the speedometer "overlay" sticker on ebay, then you could rotate it a bit to get correct speeds shown. Also, you mention there is a service bulletin on oil for the clutch case... news to me, do you have a bulletin # or something like that?

apriliaforum expert
    I get almost 100 mph with the engine stock, Dr Pulley Sliders and an extra shim on the variator boss however there is more allowed by the ecu as I have yet to have the rev limiter cut in even at 99 mph. The BV350 with the small tire generally does not get you past 100 mph so what are you really looking to get out of this? A Malossi Cylinder with 4V Head kit and sliders along with the fuel injector from a 500cc Piaggio bike would have made the original engine into quite a rocket with little effort and likely at lower cost.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Piaggio engineer says that they don't receive bulletins via SVC portal but he received mail with this notification. I get the same info from two independent sources.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    I get almost 100 mph with the engine stock, Dr Pulley Sliders and an extra shim on the variator boss however there is more allowed by the ecu as I have yet to have the rev limiter cut in even at 99 mph. The BV350 with the small tire generally does not get you past 100 mph so what are you really looking to get out of this? A Malossi Cylinder with 4V Head kit and sliders along with the fuel injector from a 500cc Piaggio bike would have made the original engine into quite a rocket with little effort and likely at lower cost.
    I already previously try to make tuning of original 250ie- But head like V4, bigger injector and 3,5Bar fuel perssure didn't helps at all. Only benefit I saw was after Polini Hi-speed vario installation. This dissapoitment forced me to remove original engine and put 350ie- and now scooter really goes fine (not like hell but really nice) ;-)Now remained space for more performance since 350ie ECU can be remapped and Polini vario can be inserted- but probably I will not continue in that direction since I have only 9 liter fuel capacity and don't like to decrease authonomy of 200+km with tank. If I find safe space for adding extra few liters capacity then I will continue with tuning;-)

apriliaforum expert
    Don't know what your looking for however as I said I am already getting almost 100 mph or 160 kph with mine without having to do much other than add sliders and put a Puig Sport Fairing on it. If you do not address aerodynamics first then you will be wasting a lot of money overcoming the lack of it. Better aerodynamics gives the added benefit of better fuel economy.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Don't know what your looking for...
    I'm not looking- I found what I wanted;-)
    Puig sport fairing is also on my wish list together with Tucano Urbano integrated leg-cover.

Good job Balki! You should post some pictures of your finished project. All I have is 2 feet of snow everywhere, -20C, and only dreams of riding....

Sp56

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by balki View Post
    I'm not looking- I found what I wanted;-)
    Puig sport fairing is also on my wish list together with Tucano Urbano integrated leg-cover.
    Since the 250 in the single cradle Sport City frame can do about 160 kph and for safeties sake you really need to go to a double cradle frame in a scooter for speeds higher than that I had to ask. Not sure if you can even find tires in those 15 in rim sizes rated for over 160 kph. Be mindful that a tires max speed rating even in the EU is only for a ten minute duration.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Since the 250 in the single cradle Sport City frame can do about 160 kph and for safeties sake you really need to go to a double cradle frame in a scooter for speeds higher than that I had to ask. Not sure if you can even find tires in those 15 in rim sizes rated for over 160 kph. Be mindful that a tires max speed rating even in the EU is only for a ten minute duration.
    You mentioned few times 160km/h?Are you talking about real GPS speed??
    Now here is also winter and I can not make tests but frankly speaking I doubt that my scooter now with 33HP can exceed 150km/h real GPS speed. With Puig I expect 5km more. (250ie have 22HP and can not exceed 130km/h of reall GPS speed on flat road with no wind to back. For real 160km/h with his specific air drag I think you shall need 40HP)
    Tires have speed index S = 180km/h so 155km/h would not be over limit. 14" rear tire in this dimension have only 5% smaller circumference but gear ratio is calculated for such wheel so meaningless is speculation that top speed would depend on smaller wheel.
    Pirelly Diablo Scooter FRONT: 120/70-15 56S REAR: 150/70-14 66S
    I prefer good acceleration and ~120km/h cruising speed. Extra power would be used for fun and for safer passing of slower vehicles.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw56 View Post
    Good job Balki! You should post some pictures of your finished project. All I have is 2 feet of snow everywhere, -20C, and only dreams of riding....Sp56
    Thx;-)
    I know that canadian winters couldn't be compared with ours continental climate winters with temperature between -10C and +5C. (Today is +12C)
    Photos taken after 1st test ride added above in original post. Some plastic parts still not installed then. Now scooter is fully assembled. Before spring black plastic parts would be painted with Hempel boat anti-slip deck coating and rear shocks would be repainted in black mat.
    Last edited by balki; 02-03-2017 at 09:26 AM.

I've looked at the pictures and I think it looks very good. Quite a difference in rear tire width as well. That and the smaller diameter should change the handling characteristics somewhat.
    I keep my Beo for in city riding but have a 650 Vstrom for highway riding. I've managed just over 120kph(GPS) on the Beo. It didn't feel stable enough for me not to mention riding WOT.
    Will you have any trouble with meeting government safety inspections or do you have that in Croatia?

Sp56

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Legally I should make homologation and would not be problems. Beverly 350 have front 16" and rear 14". SC have 15" front and rear. During my hard tests of scooter handling I found only improvement and better cornering. Front double disc also have enough capacity that I can safely brake with one finger when I'm alone without passanger.

During my hard tests of scooter handling I found only improvement and better cornering. .
    That's what I was thinking...that turn in would be a little heavier leaning the wider rear tire moderating that "drop in" feeling when cornering.

Sp56

apriliaforum expert
    You mentioned few times 160km/h?Are you talking about real GPS speed??
    Now here is also winter and I can not make tests but frankly speaking I doubt that my scooter now with 33HP can exceed 150km/h real GPS speed. With Puig I expect 5km more. (250ie have 22HP and can not exceed 130km/h of reall GPS speed on flat road with no wind to back. For real 160km/h with his specific air drag I think you shall need 40HP)
    Tires have speed index S = 180km/h so 155km/h would not be over limit. 14" rear tire in this dimension have only 5% smaller circumference but gear ratio is calculated for such wheel so meaningless is speculation that top speed would depend on smaller wheel.
    Pirelly Diablo Scooter FRONT: 120/70-15 56S REAR: 150/70-14 66S
    I prefer good acceleration and ~120km/h cruising speed. Extra power would be used for fun and for safer passing of slower vehicles.
    Yes all speeds were GPS confirmed that is why I don't really understand all the effort some folks go through to get their Sport City 250 to do what I got and still get from mine with the basically stock engine and just sliders and the Sport Fairing instead of the windshield.

Some may be surprised too at what an impact helmet and riding clothing choices can have on top speed. Open faced helmets and clothing that catches the wind can also create drag that slows you down.

Some folks that put motorcycle saddle bags on their scooters can also see quite a loss in top speed.

Myself when I go out for a long ride it will start around 4:00 AM in the middle lane on the Interstate where traffic is flowing at 80 to 85 mph arriving at my destination around 10 AM, spending about 10 hours there fishing what have you leaving at 8 PM for the 6 hour ride home getting back at around 2 AM. I have ridden many long days on the Interstates in my area where traffic flows at 85 mph and have had very little trouble keeping up and staying in the middle lane unless there is a steep hill or strong headwind to deal with. I will do this at times to drop off a Motor Home at a camp ground carrying the bike on the back. The Sport City is great for that since it only weighs 325 lbs so its light enough to put on a dirt bike hitch rack and still be able to maintain Interstate speeds with very little setup such as the Puig, Sliders, 35L Top Case, Fully Enclosed Helmet, Cinched Cuff Riding Pants, Close Fitting Riding Jacket with Cinched Cuffs and Riding Gloves that go over the jackets cuffs. Don't add accessories or wear clothing that adds drag and consumes horse power.

One other thing is that I use a 130/90-15 Metric Cruiser rear tire instead of a Scooter Specific rear tire for its larger diameter and lower rolling resistance when properly inflated.

I am an elderly disabled person who walks with a cane, is 6 feet tall, wears a size 48/50 riding jacket and weighs over 250 lbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast