Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: testing a cheap and easy fix for slow cranking hot start issue

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by desmonicduc46 View Post
    Tried the fix on my 14, did not work.
    Did you first test the Stator's output and measure for short to ground between each of the three phases?
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

apriliaforum Member PocketFighter's Avatar
    I would like to share my experience with this...

So I had followed the process for this back in Oct '17 a few short months after I picked the bike up, I can confirm it DID work, but only temporarily, I can't comment on how it broke down or anything like that... but ANYWAY, it worked for a good year or so and only recently it started to fail even with a new battery.

The best fix I have found for this, bizarrely, is using the race map! the fix was pretty much instant, I ran the bike up to 103 C with the fan kicking in, switched her off and started again...straight off the button!

Again I can't comment on what trickery is involved or how the map change sorted the problem, but it has worked for me - I have used the race map now for 2 days, both days I have had to fill up with the bike at a high temp... I won't lie, yes I was bloody hesitant thinking I would have to wait 20mins for it to cool down enough just so I can continue on my journey - I have never used the bike to commute to work purely for this reason, the map change has transformed the bike, but it starts miles better (as well as runs better) and hasn't got the hot start problem at all.

Amauri, i'm not saying the additional wire didn't fix the problem, it did, and it worked and worked well albeit temporarily - so I can only thank you for that.... hopefully the race map has properly sorted it though
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow
    Learn as if you were to live forever

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Watching this thread with much interest, can you do another update in about a month?

Quote Originally Posted by PocketFighter View Post
    I would like to share my experience with this...

So I had followed the process for this back in Oct '17 a few short months after I picked the bike up, I can confirm it DID work, but only temporarily, I can't comment on how it broke down or anything like that... but ANYWAY, it worked for a good year or so and only recently it started to fail even with a new battery.

The best fix I have found for this, bizarrely, is using the race map! the fix was pretty much instant, I ran the bike up to 103 C with the fan kicking in, switched her off and started again...straight off the button!

Again I can't comment on what trickery is involved or how the map change sorted the problem, but it has worked for me - I have used the race map now for 2 days, both days I have had to fill up with the bike at a high temp... I won't lie, yes I was bloody hesitant thinking I would have to wait 20mins for it to cool down enough just so I can continue on my journey - I have never used the bike to commute to work purely for this reason, the map change has transformed the bike, but it starts miles better (as well as runs better) and hasn't got the hot start problem at all.

Amauri, i'm not saying the additional wire didn't fix the problem, it did, and it worked and worked well albeit temporarily - so I can only thank you for that.... hopefully the race map has properly sorted it though
    The race map may have done something to make it start easier, but it can't fix slow cranking. There's no way for a physical effect like that to be changed by programming...

Quote Originally Posted by fostytou View Post
    The race map may have done something to make it start easier, but it can't fix slow cranking. There's no way for a physical effect like that to be changed by programming...
    I would have to agree with you when it comes to this particular hot starting issue some of these bikes are experiencing.

But ignition timing that is too far advanced can cause a slow starting symptom that is very similar to what we are talking about on this thread. But if you listen carefully you will hear that it is not the same.

I've worked on a lot of bikes with the Race map installed and still experiencing the slow cranking hot start issue. I have one in the shop right now.

apriliaforum Member PocketFighter's Avatar
    Thats a fair shout, i will keep an eye on it either way and see what happens, for what its worth the bike has only just covered 5800 miles, so i wouldnt have thought its a valve issue
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow
    Learn as if you were to live forever

Perhaps race-map let her crank a few rotations before fuel injected and/or ignition...
    That way, nice cool air is sucked in and no chance to have a blocked piston by a very advanced timing...

apriliaforum newb
    kudos

apriliaforum Junkie
    hi guys

2010 V4 crank not possible.
    In the beginning, it is possible to start smoothly.
    There is a problem after the engine temperature rises more than C90 and the power is turned off.
    The battery seems to be empty and does not crank. But battery is in great condition.
    It's not just cranking.
    When the water temperature comes down to about C30 again starts and above C90 it is still the same and cools down for more than an hour.
    The sound is cranked up.
    I checked all the wiring, replaced the battery and worked on the additional wiring.
    The same problem is still happening.

ECU MAP is 13A9AD23 and added the wiring shown in this sample,
    changed the battery, and after that, I will try to change the starter motor.
    If I can't even do this, would my problem? What do you guys think?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by YONGSAN View Post
    hi guys

2010 V4 crank not possible.
    In the beginning, it is possible to start smoothly.
    There is a problem after the engine temperature rises more than C90 and the power is turned off.
    The battery seems to be empty and does not crank. But battery is in great condition.
    It's not just cranking.
    When the water temperature comes down to about C30 again starts and above C90 it is still the same and cools down for more than an hour.
    The sound is cranked up.
    I checked all the wiring, replaced the battery and worked on the additional wiring.
    The same problem is still happening.

ECU MAP is 13A9AD23 and added the wiring shown in this sample,
    changed the battery, and after that, I will try to change the starter motor.
    If I can't even do this, would my problem? What do you guys think?

thanks
    Check your stator. (Check actual voltage at idle and battery voltage at rest) consider a blanket on the starter or the additional wiring.
    Last edited by fostytou; 08-03-2019 at 09:47 AM.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by fostytou View Post
    Check your stator. (Check actual voltage at idle and battery voltage at rest) consider a blanket on the starter or the additional wiring.
    Thank you for your reply. But my problem is that I can try to jump from that situation to a very good battery. Is there any other answer to try? Wiring has already been completed and the starter motor has also been heated. It also replaced the battery. in very good condition

do as fostytou said and test your stator... all three tests, preferably with the engine hot.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post
    do as fostytou said and test your stator... all three tests, preferably with the engine hot.
    thanks amauri

I'm going to do the test again within this week. We will replace both the start motor, the generator and the flywheel. I'll write down the results after the test.

PS,
    Maybe the last worst thing about my engine is crank bearing. I hope this test will solve the problem.

Don't replace parts without testing and verifying that they are bad.

Replacing parts and hoping that the problem goes away is not the right method.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post
    Don't replace parts without testing and verifying that they are bad.

Replacing parts and hoping that the problem goes away is not the right method.
    I agree with you.
    But I'm trying to find the most convenient way, so I'm using the spare parts I have.

My diagnosis predicted compression of crank and bearings.
    It wasn't a battery with enough voltage to turn the crank.
    It wasn't the new wire or the heat from the starter motor.
    The most doubtful thing is that I think the crank bearings are thermal expansion, but I want to replace the spare parts I have. I'm trying to do everything I can with this. Or I will open the engine.

thanks.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast