Thread: SXV -> RXV conversion

SXV -> RXV conversion

Hi.

I would like to convert my SXV so I can ride in some Hard enduro conditions.

Forget wheel topic - I will sort this by myself

I saw some aluminium under engine cover - is it from other bike, or some acessories from Aprilia ?

what else shall I consider ?
    2006 Aprilia SXV 450
    Tuneboy Cable available in Poland

1st thing that comes to my mind is the suspension, which is quite hard for enduro.
    09' MXV 450
    10' S-MXV 450
    10' SXV 550 VDB

Even if I turn out all rebound and compression it will still be to stiff ? ;-) ?

anyway - I can buy rear shock from RXV for 40$ so it is not a big deal. But front suspension is more expensive so I would like to avoid changing it.
    2006 Aprilia SXV 450

RXV rear shock is also longer, so front end will be lower as well as stiffer.

apriliaforum expert
    The suspension is way hard...

I rode my SXV on about 3km of a rough bumpy track...

It was hurting me and I wanted off...

That same track in total is about 40km...

I will trash my RXV down that 40km and turn around and come back without having every bone in my body complain about it...

apriliaforum Member
    Even if just for fun, the SXV is not going to make a good enduro or trail bike.
    You are probably going to speed way too much to make it trail worthy.
    I've spent a fair amount with the RXV for trail worthy, rekluse and scotts steering damper and 12L tank. its a good trail bike, fine for racing, and great dual sport.
    If you plan to race, just buy a KTM 300 XC, BETA 300 RR, or GAS GAS 300cc

apriliaforum Member
    As unruly the rxv is on real single track, the can profile alone on the sxv would make almost unridable. The rxv is a great double track /gravel bike, but power delivery is too abrupt and the unless your a giant it's too tall to be a good single track bike, and for out here the poor mileage is a killer. There are loops I can't do on it because I won't make on fuel, even carrying spare in my pack.
    I've weighted my flywheel , modified a map for less engine breaking and a little mellower fuel delivery on the mid range. I'm going to try to find a rekluse for it and lower it about an inch.
    I'm giving it one more xc season if I can't get it dialed in , it's flat track time for the ape.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cevquit View Post
    . I'm going to try to find a rekluse for it and lower it about an inch.
    I'm giving it one more xc season if I can't get it dialed in , it's flat track time for the ape.
    Have the z-start Pro and love it!
    It completely changed the way you can ride the bike. Almost 2 stroke like. Very hard to stall, but you can stall the motor.
    I have the 07 model with a light flywheel.
    I still use my clutch and override just to make sure I don't stall in certain situations (usually tight slow speed areas). My clutch and throttle skills are not the best in tight slow speed areas, so the z-start is a great addition to the bike.

I bought mine before Rekluse discontinued the package for the Aprilia. But I believe you can still piece one together. There has been a few threads on it with people 1st using a CR500 or CRF450 z start pro. Then Rekluse made a specific package for Aprilia bikes. The package came with a z-start and a billet AL rekluse clutch basket.
    Rekluse also has a newer auto clutch, but i'm not familiar with it. It is supposed to provide a more firm clutch feel than the z-start.

well, I am 6'4 tall, 206 lbs without gear. I still look on Ape like on a toy I don't have reculsive clutch, but have slippery clutch and know how to use clutch. Currently running on 14/50 setup, but wondering if I can go with 13T on front.

Project is not for some hard enduro, just soft trail riding for fun with some enduro roots. No competition, just fun.

btw - I think I have 12L tank already.
    2006 Aprilia SXV 450

apriliaforum expert
    You're running 14/50 on an SXV?

Oh wait...it's a 450...

Quote Originally Posted by levisik View Post
    well, I am 6'4 tall, 206 lbs without gear. I still look on Ape like on a toy I don't have reculsive clutch, but have slippery clutch and know how to use clutch. Currently running on 14/50 setup, but wondering if I can go with 13T on front.

Project is not for some hard enduro, just soft trail riding for fun with some enduro roots. No competition, just fun.

btw - I think I have 12L tank already.
    I run a 13/51 on my RXV and it works very good on double track and intermediate single track. For expert level single track I need to run 13/54 otherwise gearing is too tall in the slow technical stuff. I have the stock 18" wheel and you might have the 17" wheel so that will affect gearing. I re-sprung mine for my weight of 200lbs and the .5 front and 5.8 rear is pretty close to the stock SXV spring rate....only your springs are shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by S4R View Post
    You're running 14/50 on an SXV?

Oh wait...it's a 450...
    I'm sure what he means is the 14/50 is off-road gearing. Gearing down is necessary due to the extremely tall stock gearing. It has nothing to do with the engine size or power...a 450 is plenty for off road, a 550 is just overkill for off road.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by snel1698 View Post
    I'm sure what he means is the 14/50 is off-road gearing. Gearing down is necessary due to the extremely tall stock gearing. It has nothing to do with the engine size or power...a 450 is plenty for off road, a 550 is just overkill for off road.
    I run 16/46 on my RXV550...

I can do tight single trail and gnarly hill climbs but I do have to finger the clutch a bit...

I'm about to fit an SXV 5th gear to it so I can go back to a 15 front...

I just added a z-start pro to my '08 RXV550 and the heavier '09 flywheel and the G2 throttle tamer and a bunch of the other off-road mods. Rekluse makes a big difference.
    '08 SXV550
    '07 RXV550