Thread: Engine suddenly stopped working

Engine suddenly stopped working

Finally sorted the clutch on my SXV when out on it yesterday the bike suddenly stopped working. I was doing about 70mph when the bike instantly went onto one cylinder. When I came to a stop I tried to keep it running but it stalled and would not restart only occasionally firing up on one cylinder then cutting out.

I hoped it was a spark plug so checked them to see if they are working and they were if not bloody black (see picture) I removed the tanks and airbox and turned the engine over to see whats happening. On a few rotations the rear cylinder did fire but the front is dead...Could this be an injector issue? Or is this another bloody problem with SXVs?

Attachment 318840

apriliaforum Junkie

Cool

[QUOTE=steelsey;4154925]Finally sorted the clutch on my SXV when out on it yesterday the bike suddenly stopped working. I was doing about 70mph when the bike instantly went onto one cylinder. When I came to a stop I tried to keep it running but it stalled and would not restart only occasionally firing up on one cylinder then cutting out.

I hoped it was a spark plug so checked them to see if they are working and they were if not bloody black (see picture) I removed the tanks and airbox and turned the engine over to see whats happening. On a few rotations the rear cylinder did fire but the front is dead...Could this be an injector issue? Or is this another bloody problem with SXVs?

I would check all wiring from coil connections down to the area of battery. When my bike was purchased it had a wire that came out of a connector somewhere in the battery area that would shut down at low rpm and when rpm picked slowly it would kick in and you had a abrupt gain in power, which was a little unnerving in traffic. Dealer sorted it out the next day. So connections might be the issue.