Thread: sxv 550 not press starting

apriliaforum prov-nov

sxv 550 not press starting

good day folks, i just took delivery of an 07 sxv550, guy actually wanted my r6 race bike so offered his 550 as part of a swap...he told me that he got fed up with the bike cause most of the supposed bike mechanics here shy away from working on anything Aprilia. i can agree with him as i do all work on my RSV4 myself...

i started this thread cause the guy told me that he changed the stator, ecu, air filter and some other electrical bits on the bike. but someone took it upon themselves to run start the bike (aka push start it).

he said since then the bike doesn't press start but would start once its push started and rides all day...which is true cause i pushed started it before he left and it ran well...

i would like to know from the guys here what do y'all think could be issue that causes the bike to no longer press start? and what else should i look out for?

Depends on your definition of press start. What actually happens when the button is pressed? Does it crank but not start? Does it just click? Does it just not do anything? Is there anything else electrical that doesn't seem to be working? These bikes are pretty simple electrically and it should be easy to sort out.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Bike actually did both so the guy said. Whenever I get back in from work will put a battery in the bike and see what it does

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Ok so I managed to get the bike starting by use of the press start button andown the regular means of generally starting the bike.

Clicking noise comes from starter relay so I would assume that needs to be changed. However upon start up there's a knocking noise coming from the engine that can be heard in the video in the link below

https://youtu.be/4jXJ6wmYowc

If the rpm falls below the 1800 rpm range you will hear the decompressors rattle against the cam. It is normal. Keep the rpm up around 1900-2000 and the noise should go away.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    ok so i finally had time away from work so that i could get back to working on the 550...for starters the gauge cluster i got with the bike don't seem to be working as i don't get any lights on the dash once the key is turned to the on position.

also during start up of the bike, it spins and then seemingly comes to an "abrupt halt" as though something is locking up, seized or slipping.

this video is an example of what the bike is currently doing
    https://youtu.be/RDCjwvXd0i0