Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 1100 Tuono: Common Issues

apriliaforum expert MishMashRSV4's Avatar

1100 Tuono: Common Issues

Guys, the information is spread across a few posts but I am hoping to create one (future-stickied) post where you list any issues you've encountered thus far in ownership. Please include the mileage of your bike when the issue occurred.
    This will hopefully cut down a lot of extraneous posts.

If possible, just make a single post with the issue, so it becomes an aggregate list and not a full back/forth conversation. I literally just want to create a thread of problems (IF any) so we can see commonalities over time. Thanks!

LIST: (As of Post #237 in this thread)

Issue / Number of Users reporting

• Master Cylinder has/had a recall – ALL
    • Low Speed Fueling Glitch (Stock Trim, 5-15% to 0%) – Feels like hitting KILL button. - 4
    • Models made before 9/28/2015; the rear sprocket bolts may become loose. (AF1 sells a "fix" kit). – ALL (before 9/28/2015)
    • Quickshifter has been reported to not quite work well. Sometimes False Neutrals. – 9* - Not determined if user error, or systemic issue.
    • Gear shifts not a smooth as prior model - 2
    • Dash Dim/ goes blank and returns to normal. Dash Reflash IS available – 6
    • Hot Start Issue – 3
    o (CAUSE: one user saw starter cable was routed improperly causing it to melt and short onto the cylinder head.
    • Weeping front fork seal – 1
    • Sach shock's rebound adjuster recently went from -10 clicks out to -20 – 1
    • Bike accelerated by itself whilst warming up to operating temperature. Happens intermittently. and when slowing down for a junction almost as if the rpm drops too low and the ecu tries to speed it up again, only ever happened in the motors warm up phase and around 2000rpm (I think)...........................no fix as I just pull the clutch in to stop it, bike does not then rev up it just settles to idle
    • Engine loss at 1800 miles. – 1
    o Replaced by Aprilia under warranty
    • Shifting from 2, 3 or 4 gears on up shift only and only once every thirty mile or so on shift and hard acceleration the bike has no power for about 1 full second – 2
    • After 5.000km my dealer noticed leaking of my fuel. There was a puddle with a diameter of 10cm under the driver’s seat. - 3
    o New fuel tank from Aprilia. Warranty.
    • Bike stall while in gear, off gas (while moving) – 2
    Last edited by MishMashRSV4; 12-27-2016 at 06:19 PM.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by MishMashRSV4 View Post
    Guys, the information is spread across a few posts but I am hoping to create one (future-stickied) post where you list any issues you've encountered thus far in ownership. Please include the mileage of your bike when the issue occurred.
    This will hopefully cut down a lot of extraneous posts.

If possible, just make a single post with the issue, so it becomes an aggregate list and not a full back/forth conversation. I literally just want to create a thread of problems (IF any) so we can see commonalities over time. Thanks!
    570 miles master cylinder recall, nothing other than that

in stock trim a bit of fueling glitch when going from low throttle say 5% - 15% to zero throttle. Like you hit the kill switch; improved some with latest race ecu mapping 6404DD51 and Akra slip on, also charcoal cannister is removed and DNA air filter installed.
    2 Other possible issues are be careful not to overtighten oil drain plug, and for 1100's produced before 9/28/2015, the rear sprocket bolts may become loose. (AF1 sells a "fix" kit).
    Last edited by vfr1200; 08-17-2016 at 10:39 AM.
    2017 Sherco 300 SER Factory
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory
    2015 TREK 7.3
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...alan+golightly

My quickshifter is a little buggy at times. Sometimes it goes into a false neutral of sorts.

I don't know if that's from me not hitting it hard enough? I'm pretty sure I am but it happens maybe once every 60-70 shifts so it ain't a huge deal.

Mother than that just the fueling issue at low RPMs which other people mentioned.

Some say it's fixed with the new map. Is the new map something I can download myself and upload with Guzzidiag?

Quote Originally Posted by V4Cyborg View Post

Mother than that just the fueling issue at low RPMs which other people mentioned.

Some say it's fixed with the new map. Is the new map something I can download myself and upload with Guzzidiag?
    No, needs doing by Aprilia, and no, the latest map didnt make an awful lot of difference on mine

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    A thread like this can be very helpful as long as all relevant information is posted along with the issues/symptoms you are experiencing.

As an example, don't just post that you are experiencing the "low speed fueling issues" without posting information like what exhaust you are using, ECU map version # and any other mods like air filter, etc.
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

apriliaforum expert
    My dash goes blank below 48F ambient temperature, and returns to normal as the temperature rises. Hasn't been a problem since late last fall, and I expect the problem to return when the temperature drops. Aprilia has a dash reflash that fixes the problem, so I'll have that done eventually. Fueling on my bike is perfect, and it's all stock. The quickshifter is smooth as butter most times, but with the occasional jerky shift. If I shift above 7,000 rpm, it's always smooth. No other issues in 10,600 miles.
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2000.5 Mille R - Ti Shotguns & lots of Evo shtuff
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory

apriliaforum Member
    setup: 2016 Tuono Factory, full ti Akra with the new carbon RSV can, RCS19 MC and Brembo clutch/brake levers; tail tidy with replacement tail light (integrated blinkers)

- front brake: inconsistent feel, inexplicable fading, spongy feeling after a track session (started with RCS17, now have the 19; bleeding, new fluid, etc done) ; setting the lever to max reach mitigated this for the most part... (weird workaround)
    - dashboard: fades out for a few secs, then comes back; impossible to reproduce or find any trend when it happens (doesn't go blank, just becomes VERY dim while riding... solves itself after 5-6 secs); SW update done, didn't help; dealer now ordered a new dash
    - false neutrals: between 2 and 3, happens very rarely... I'm 99% sure it's due to not the bike but my foot though; the QS doesn't feel like the QS on the S1000R, have to really push the peg decisively and with enough travel rather than a quick tap; not really an issue, more of a tip
    - the little white LED on top of my plate holder is now flashing/blinking; I assume easily solved... tapping my finger against it (not while riding!!) helped for a while, but no more luck

'16 1100 RR : Graves pipe, Race ECU, Charcoal Delete, 1.5" Woodcraft Risers, Rotobox RBX2's, Motobox Tail, Rizoma signals, Oxford heated grips, Driven bar ends, XX Levers/Mirrors, Bonamici engine covers, Lightech fork sliders, Driven rear axle sliders, SW Motech tank bag.

- Had hot start issue from the get go. Manifested into a "turning key starts bike without using 'starter' switch" issue. CAUSE: starter cable was routed improperly causing it to melt and short onto the cylinder head. SOLUTION: re-routed cable and resealed melted jacket.

- Weeping front fork seal. CAUSE: who knows. SOLUTION: Replaced under warranty

- After installing Race ECU and Graves pipe, an intolerable 4k surge appeared. CAUSE: who knows for sure. Dyno run showed excessive lean condition in that area. Most likely the culprit. SOLUTION: disconnected O2 sensor. Now the surge is 95% gone. Still surges from time to time for no apparent reason, but not nearly as bad as before. Still not as smooth as ANY Triumph I've owned.

- Disappearance of gas at an alarming rate. CAUSE: 'cause it's an Italian V4! SOLUTION: Shell gas card.

- Tires seem to lose the rubber on their edges quite quickly while the centers stay thick. CAUSE: 'cause she likes to bent into corners. SOLUTION: purchased stock in Dunlop.

- Sach shock's rebound adjuster recently went from -10 clicks out to -20, causing a complete loss of rebound after a spirited. ride. CAUSE: Unknown. Still experimenting. SOLUTION: TBD. This at 5k miles / 3 mos.

- Coasted down a hill with clutch engaged while bike was in 4th gear. Got to the bottom and engine was dead. Took 5 or 6 attempts to get her to turn over. This after a 100 mile spirited ride. Has only done this once. CAUSE: 'cause she's Italian. SOLUTION: fuhgeddaboutit...
    www.thailongly.com
    www.flickr.com/tl2bass
    @TL2Bass (Instagram/Twitter)
    2017 Tuono 1100 RR
    2016 Tuono 1100 RR (just broke up)
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT 1050

Motorcycle.com Contributing Writer / Guest Tester
    www.motorcycle.com

STG Sponsored Rider
    www.sportbiketrackgear.com

Had one hot start problem after running the bike up in the garage to check oil lever prior ride, bike had switched cooling fans on/off 3 to 4 times and was hotter than normal I guess

I pressed the starter and the engine initially turned, then stopped, the dash then went blank followed by the starter motor running with no input from me! bike started after 3 to 4 seconds and dash came back on.

Bike has also accelerated by itself whilst warming up to operating temperature, its happened a handful of times when slowing down for a junction almost as if the rpm drops too low and the ecu tries to speed it up again, only ever happened in the motors warm up phase and around 2000rpm (I think)...........................no fix as I just pull the clutch in to stop it, bike does not then rev up it just settles to idle

Someone else posted the same symptoms and actually fell off, I guess that would be possible as the bike does surge quite strongly, It feels like I have got the braking wrong and opened the throttle unintentionally, I am sure I havent though as its the only bike that it has ever happened on
    Last edited by mikef4uk; 08-17-2016 at 03:22 AM.

apriliaforum prov-nov Ventura_33's Avatar
    I've been having QS problems just like V4Cyborg. Always seems to happen shifting from 5th to 6th

apriliaforum expert
    I don't think QS problems are necessarily mechanical problems. It could be operator error, as im not so sure that I haven't messed up a few shifts.

Ive always raced with a QS on many different bikes. Never had an issue. On the Tuono, it seems you need to be 'quick' with tapping the shifter. Don't ease into it. Smack it. Don't leave any pressure on the lever.

I've installed a switch on the handle bars of sevaral customer's APRC bikes where they can easily turn off the QS.

With the QS disabled, there is less chance of false neutrals and the shifts are smoother when you shift at lower RPMs.
    Saves on transmission wear too.

apriliaforum prov-nov Ventura_33's Avatar
    Good stuff Amauri. Do you have any photos of the switch installed to the bars that you could share?

I don't have any photos, just a generic mini on/off switch from the electronics store.
    You can also use a Power Commander map selector switch from Dyno Jet.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast