Thread: Report after checking

PCP

Report after checking

I told U guys I was going to met a chap to see his RS250, and so I did.
    The bike is a reggiani replica 95 which looks awesome but for the crash...

Here is the question -Ive alrredy got an answer, but Id love to hear your opinions-
    Would you buy a crashed bike? Tha bike hit the ground and there is a small subsidence on the left side of the frame... and the steering stopers have disapeared

My opinion: This bike is not to be mine.

RegganiRS250

RUN :rollin:

The frames on these bend pretty easy in crashes. And if it is missing the stops it must have went down hard to break both those off.

wsmc667

stops

the stops are held with m8 screws. not much to hold them in place. if BOTH are gone, that's not a good sign. that means either a real good crash or two separate ones. you definitely need to get the frame measured before purchasing.

parts that like to bend:
    - wheels
    - triple clamps (non yanks call them yokes)
    - front axle pin
    - steering damper
    - tail section
    - fairing stay

the frame isn't that bad, but inspect in light and look for the "rainbow" of stress fracturing in the surface finish. this alone is just a sign that the surface had some stress... but examine this from one side to the next and you may notice a bend.

chris

ps - just made a billet rear axle nut ... i wanted something physically larger to allow for the use of a safety pin. now i'm getting inquiries in for some Ti 1.5" round...

keean

stoppers?

I agree, just a low speed drop on the side (light fairing damage, plastic pin holder bent) = not a problem. Steering stops gone, probably best to avoid (unless the bolts are just 'missing') as that would indicate a lot of shearing on the front forks which may well be bent.

Having said that, it really depends on the price ... there are places that can straighten frames, new fairing parts can be purchased ... etc ... At least you know what has to be done (rather than an insurance write off bought cheap at auction and done up for sale)... Get quotes for the frame and fairing work, etc, and take that off the list price for a bike in reasonable condition (depending on the overall condition of the bike/engine) of that milage, then take of a bit more and make an offer... The key here is not to underestimate the cost of repairs, if you are unsure take a bit more off, if you really dont want it offer a silly price - you never know they might take it and you could get a decent bike (after repairs) for not a lot.

RegganiRS250

frame

Also remember that these frames are aluminum which can crack when being straightened. I doubt you would want to buy the bike and plan to have it straighten, only to have the frame crack when being straightened.

keean

Aluminium...

Remember that the frame is not really aluminium, it is an alloy of aluminium. Some ally really cannot be bent (if you have an old pistion try to bend the piston skirt, it will crack and crumble like a dry biscuit - this is because it has a high silicon content which makes it very hard, but also very brittle - useful because the piston tends to break instead of the cylinder which is much more expensive) ... As a general rule if the aluminium-alloy is weldable it is bendable (obviously repeated bending will cause brittle fracture) - and can be straightened ... Even if the frame cracks it can be re-welded ... People straighten R1s and their frame is probably under more stress than the 250s.

PCP

Re: Aluminium...

Thanks 4 your comments on the issue. They helped me a lot to made up my mind.
    Ill say no to the owner... unless he reduces the price significantly, which I dont think hell do.

Thanks lads

Vs from Spain

spanairRS125

Re: Aluminium...

Yeah, take your coat and run

It's going to cost you money in the future that bike, so it's better if you get 1 that hasen't been on a serious crash.