Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 1999 RS 50 sitting for 5 yrs

My friend jumped his 78 cb 750 off of my truck and fried his rr, stator and some harness too.
    2000 Aprilia RS 50 Tetsuya Harada replica

Could he have hooked up the battery incorrectly? Otherwise I don't see how what you describe could have happened.

I have started my RS50 numerous times with a car battery.
    1999 RS 50
    unknown brand 80 cc BBK cast iron
    LeoVince V6 pipe
    Dellorto Phbg 21 mm cs carb
    Oil pump deleted ... Premix 32:1 Motul 800 racing oil
    12:44 gearing
    Sava MC18 tires

Ive jumped mine 3 times with a car battery. Started the bike and it ran. Did it do damage im dealing with now???

No. You cannot hurt the bike using a 12 volt battery to start it. It matters not what kind of battery (lead/acid, Lipo, LiFE, Nicad, etc.) ... nor what capacity of the battery (4 amps, 10 amps, 20 amps, 100 amps, etc) .

If you have the polarity correct and it is 12 volts ( or 13 or 11..... ) it will do nothing except turn spin the motor.
    1999 RS 50
    unknown brand 80 cc BBK cast iron
    LeoVince V6 pipe
    Dellorto Phbg 21 mm cs carb
    Oil pump deleted ... Premix 32:1 Motul 800 racing oil
    12:44 gearing
    Sava MC18 tires

Quote Originally Posted by chadzilla1 View Post
    Ive jumped mine 3 times with a car battery. Started the bike and it ran. Did it do damage im dealing with now???

no i've done it plenty.

if the bike was originally 6 volt, yeah it would be hell

Get your confidence back with Aprilia.

caution: the use of motorcycles may be habit forming. side effects include purchasing multiple examples of the same bike, in different states of tune, different years, or different models altogether. some motorcycles may be not running when purchased. some parts are no longer available. there are rare instances where aprilias are bought over the internet and upon arrival, they are not as were originally disclosed. there is a small group of people who cannot handle two stroke engines and motorcycle maintenance. if this is the case, you may not be a candidate for Aprilia RS250's.

Aprilia. Ask your doctor if the RS250 is right for you.

Why go through all that trauma when you can just push start it? Really these bikes start right up with a push. They don't weigh anything. It's like push starting a small dirt bike. Super easy.

lol oh trust me I have pushed started it, but I dont feel like doing that every time call me lazy lol

Quote Originally Posted by ToraTora View Post
    Why go through all that trauma when you can just push start it? Really these bikes start right up with a push. They don't weigh anything. It's like push starting a small dirt bike. Super easy.

he won't even take photos you expect him to push start? lol

Get your confidence back with Aprilia.

caution: the use of motorcycles may be habit forming. side effects include purchasing multiple examples of the same bike, in different states of tune, different years, or different models altogether. some motorcycles may be not running when purchased. some parts are no longer available. there are rare instances where aprilias are bought over the internet and upon arrival, they are not as were originally disclosed. there is a small group of people who cannot handle two stroke engines and motorcycle maintenance. if this is the case, you may not be a candidate for Aprilia RS250's.

Aprilia. Ask your doctor if the RS250 is right for you.

haha yeah Im a professional photographer and cant even remember to document the rebuild :-( I'll push start it one or two times then im over it.

Quote Originally Posted by mattology View Post
    he won't even take photos you expect him to push start? lol

You can't really get away with being lazy with motos. They are very demanding. That's a lesson you should learn post haste.

With many of my bikes push starting, or what I refer to as GP starting, is the only way to get them going. Once you put a hopped up rotor on them you might as well remove the electric starter because there is no longer any place for it to hook up.

This beautiful bike is GP start only, and I'm totally okay with it. :P

great looking GPR, is that frame just like the 2006 RS50's??

how much did that rear shock cost you?

as for pushing I used to own a race only full fairing RZ350 bored out to a 380 and only push, it would take me and my roommate to get it going if I didnt have two people pushing wouldnt get enough speed and wheel would just lock up with only one person pushing. But damn was that a fast bike couldnt keep the front wheel on the ground first two gears :-) love the smell of two stroke oil in the morning :-)

You can't really get away with being lazy with motos. They are very demanding. That's a lesson you should learn post haste.

With many of my bikes push starting, or what I refer to as GP starting, is the only way to get them going. Once you put a hopped up rotor on them you might as well remove the electric starter because there is no longer any place for it to hook up.

This beautiful bike is GP start only, and I'm totally okay with it. :P

For bigger bikes they call it bump starting because you have to jump up in the air, and have your ass land on the seat at the same time you release the clutch in order to put enough weight on the rear tire so that it doesn't just slide. If you did it that way one person could have started the RZ.

For these bikes that's not even necessary (unless you have a high compression kit installed).

That's a 2005 GPR with the Euro2 engine. In 2006 the RS50 became one of these with the Euro3 engines and front plastics from the then current RS125 street bike. In ~2010 Piagio shut down the Derbi factory. At that point the GPR and RS went back to the older RS frame (slightly modified), and the Derbi parts. That's basically what the RS4 is now days. There is a 125 4T Derbi engine available as an option. It's loosely based on the Euro3 2T engine.

I bought that shock from new old stock for a Cobra 50cc dirt bike. Getting it to fit in the bike was a lot harder. It's unfortunate that Öhlins doesn't make a proper shock for the Derbi. But I really wanted one so I found a way.

not this RZ one person bump wasnt possible had a full race kit big bore 380cc, Ive been riding bikes since I was in 2nd grade, used to race 80cc, 125cc and 250cc, been riding street bikes since my first bike 87 GSXR 750. So trust me when I say you needed two people bump start this bike and it usually took 2-3 times of pushing like hell lol

Ive found a 2006 RS50 frame and rear swingarm with shock for $200 but would have to ship it from Europe. I like the frame and rear swingarm better then my 1999 RS. Im thinking about getting that frame set up and then doing what Matt did with a 125mx engine in it.

For bigger bikes they call it bump starting because you have to jump up in the air, and have your ass land on the seat at the same time you release the clutch in order to put enough weight on the rear tire so that it doesn't just slide. If you did it that way one person could have started the RZ.

For these bikes that's not even necessary (unless you have a high compression kit installed).

That's a 2005 GPR with the Euro2 engine. In 2006 the RS50 became one of these with the Euro3 engines and front plastics from the then current RS125 street bike. In ~2010 Piagio shut down the Derbi factory. At that point the GPR and RS went back to the older RS frame (slightly modified), and the Derbi parts. That's basically what the RS4 is now days. There is a 125 4T Derbi engine available as an option. It's loosely based on the Euro3 2T engine.

I bought that shock from new old stock for a Cobra 50cc dirt bike. Getting it to fit in the bike was a lot harder. It's unfortunate that Öhlins doesn't make a proper shock for the Derbi. But I really wanted one so I found a way.

apriliaforum expert stevieboy22's Avatar

In my experience its the LIGHTER bikes like the RS50 that need to be jumped on for the extra weight. My larger bikes were all heavy enough to just dump the clutch and start. Need to be in like third gear though.

yeah my old RZ big bore was 2nd or 3rd only for sure to bump start it.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast