Thread: Sportcity 250 speed sensor cable

apriliaforum newb

Sportcity 250 speed sensor cable

HELLO Peeps,
    Can someone please advise me as to the panels which need removing in order for me to replace the speedo sensor cable please? I don't want to take half the bike to bits only to find out that there is an easier way.
    Cheers Geoff

Beverly ...Hills that is; swimmin' pools, mooovie staaars.
    The speedo sensor cable runs all the way from the rear wheel so chances are you'd need to pretty much take the bike down to the chassis... I've never changed mine but there's a parts schematic on AF1.com and there's a shop manual floating around somewhere.

'09 SC 250
    V4 Malossi Head & Cylinder (ported & polished ; j )
    203cc Injector (Scarabeo 500)
    Akrapovic slip-on
    12g sliders w/ stiff clutch & contrast springs
    Michelin Power Pure

apriliaforum expert
    The Service Station Manual does not give a good routing diagram but makes it appear that it runs through the belly pan and up behind the glove box up to the instrument panel however the parts diagram makes it appear that the wire that's part of the speed sensor is not long enough to go all the way to the speedometer and has a connector under the floorboards. Are you replacing the main harness up to the speedometer or just the sensor with the wire that's molded to it? You may find though that water got into the connector inside the belly pan and it just needs to be dried out, cleaned and some dielectric grease applied inside the connector.

apriliaforum prov-nov Finprilia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    The Service Station Manual does not give a good routing diagram but makes it appear that it runs through the belly pan and up behind the glove box up to the instrument panel however the parts diagram makes it appear that the wire that's part of the speed sensor is not long enough to go all the way to the speedometer and has a connector under the floorboards. Are you replacing the main harness up to the speedometer or just the sensor with the wire that's molded to it? You may find though that water got into the connector inside the belly pan and it just needs to be dried out, cleaned and some dielectric grease applied inside the connector.

Hey Rockynv, I am still grateful for your advice regarding my problem with Puig windshield, it was about a year ago you helped me to select the right one.

Today my bike`s (Aprilia SC 250ie 2007) speedmeter went crazy, it works ok when the speed is below 40miles/h but after that it starts to go up and down, up and down.
    I checked the magnetic sensor by the back swing and it surely looked ok, and I do not think that`s causing it.
    I also opened the instrumental panel but it was waste of time, that`s just one solid part.
    For me the way the meter jumps up and down, it seems like bad contact somewhere. You mentioned in your previous post about the connector inside the belly pan, do you mean the lower cover with belly pan.
    Just asking because for me taking apart the chassis is bit of a struggle, I have once dismantle the whole bike and it was hard job.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Finprilia View Post
    Hey Rockynv, I am still grateful for your advice regarding my problem with Puig windshield, it was about a year ago you helped me to select the right one.

Today my bike`s (Aprilia SC 250ie 2007) speedmeter went crazy, it works ok when the speed is below 40miles/h but after that it starts to go up and down, up and down.
    I checked the magnetic sensor by the back swing and it surely looked ok, and I do not think that`s causing it.
    I also opened the instrumental panel but it was waste of time, that`s just one solid part.
    For me the way the meter jumps up and down, it seems like bad contact somewhere. You mentioned in your previous post about the connector inside the belly pan, do you mean the lower cover with belly pan.
    Just asking because for me taking apart the chassis is bit of a struggle, I have once dismantle the whole bike and it was hard job.
    I believe its inside the split pan underneath the floorboards or possibly just before it enters it. My speedometer just acted up that way too after I washed the bike however after a few days in the sun it cleared up so I hope its a connection in that area where the dielectric grease has dried out. You need to loosen the outer screws in the floorboards and then work your way around the pan from underneath being sure to not forget the screws in the lower front faring behind the front wheel. I would remove the ones in the lower fairing behind the front wheel first.

apriliaforum prov-nov Finprilia's Avatar
    Yes, I found the connection this morning before your reply, I was up early and felt little bit fed up with the speedometer going up and down. It was right there were you now write. I took off both sides so I could follow the cable starting from magnetic sensor. The connection is on the left side by the main metal frame. It was little bit, I do not know what the right word is, could not even find from dictionary, but it was "electrical dirty", white dry dirt powder on one connection cable inside the connection. I did get it clean quite good, but sadly, no help, speedometer still acts funny above 50kmh. I am going wait for few days and see how it goes, and if it continues work badly I am gonna order a new sensor cable. Its about 50euros, just frustrating to order a new part without certainly if its faulty or not, but what can I do and 50e is not end of my world. Otherwise I have not spend any money to my SC, have not had to, of course normal oil so, but otherwise, it has worked perfectly.
    Thank you Rockynv for your help, again.

apriliaforum expert
    Sometimes the pickup on the sensor gets water inside it since the plastic and metal/wire loose their bond over time or the plastic itself becomes porous so the sensor fails. I know that eventually I will also need to replace mine. Still in the big picture the bike owes me nothing and has saved me many thousands of dollars on fuel and maintenance. Considering that mine is now almost 10 years old it might be a good idea for me to get that replacement sensor now while they're still available and store it in a cool dry place.