Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oxford heated grips easily accessible power source?

apriliaforum Member

Oxford heated grips easily accessible power source?

I don't want to fit them directly to the battery incase I leave them on accidentally. Are there any easy to access wires I could tap into?

Thanks in advance.

I just finished installing some grip heaters and unfortunately there are few easy to access wires. I went for the factory grip heater connector that I found behind the radiator reservoir on our 2010 GT after removing the right side fairing. Tapping into the accessory outlet on the left side might be the easiest switched wire you can find.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

apriliaforum Member
    Is that the thing under the fake tank?does that power off with the ignition?thanks

If your Mana has the connection behind the radiator header tank that is the best one to use as it is intended for heated grips that Aprilia never actually ended up producing for the Mana. I think it depends on the age of the bike as my 2009 Gt doesn't have the connector. I took the power for my grips from the fuse that is designated for that use by replacing the standard fuse with one that has an extra wire sticking out of the top. Halfords have these in stock so they are easy to get hold of. It is 15A and the second fuse from the back end of the row of fuses in the little box on the right hand side of the helmet compartment. The same fuse is used for the headlights so easy to check you have the right one. There is just enough room under the cover for the wire to be routed through and out of the box via the same duct that all the others go through (You will need to remove the right hand cover to do any of this). Make sure you put the fuse in the right way round or the grips won't actually be fused. Using either the proper connection or my fuse piggy back solution means that the grips are switched off when you take the key out.

One point to note is that the Oxford grips do not fit very well on the left due to the gear paddles. I've seen various bodges to get round this and I'm sure there are even pictures on the forum somewhere so might be worth a search to see what others have done.
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

apriliaforum Member
    Cheers for the reply. Mine is 2008 non gt

apriliaforum Member
    Done. Trimmed some plastic off the gear select fitting and routed under the right fairing and into the drain plug. Bought something that makes a fuse input dual use with its own fuse. Connectors tucked under the speedo. Nice and tidy just a longer reach to gear switches. Cheers for the help everybody.

apriliaforum Member
    My Oxford grips are wired to the battery but turn themselves off when you turn off the ignition.

apriliaforum Member
    Mine are old and would stay on until 11.5v is detected. It's hard enough to get going as it is haha so played it safe

apriliaforum prov-nov
    i fitted a second simple roll switch in the battery cover to isolate the power to the grips did same on my silverwing scooter just incase someone tampers with the visible switch

apriliaforum Member
    Wise move. Good one

Just revisiting this thread and interestingly enough when I pulled my radiator tank out yesterday there in behind it was the connector pictured. My bike is a 2008 NS. So if it is the wire for heated grips that was never implemented by Aprilia, I'd suggest at least on Aussie NA's, you may well have the wiring already in place to do an easy install.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V__796C.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	325872 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V__8D43.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	325873

Brown, blue, black, that is the one according to the wiring diagram and colour codes. Black is power, blue is ground, and brown when shorted to ground *might* light up a grip indicator on the console. On our Mana, I seem to recall that the brown was not present. For grip heaters this is the best connection point as it comes right off a fused, switched relay.
    Hope that helps,
    Tim

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

apriliaforum newb
    Hi I would like to install my navigation on this connector, if it's present. Can anyone provide me with a wiring diagram?

I'm pretty sure this has been posted elsewhere, but here is the best wiring diagram I know of.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mana-wiring.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	455.5 KB 
ID:	347235

My 2009 GT doesn't have the connector so I replaced the headlight fuse with one that had a breakout lead and used that to power my grips.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks, I couldn't find it on the forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast