Thread: Vespa GT200 won't rev

apriliaforum newb

Vespa GT200 won't rev

Hi there, I have a Vespa GT 200 2004 model. The other day it just cut out while I was riding along, now it will start but will not rev i have had it in the dealers and they have replaced. CDI, HTcoil, Spark Plug, Stator and Pick-up, immobiliser antenna, the carb has been removed and cleaned. I now have the scoot back in the same condition as it left me, but I do have a lot of ignition spares lol. If anyone out there can help it would be brill

apriliaforum expert
    How long has it been since the valves were adjusted and the fuel filter changed? The fuel pump will not work well when then valves are off since in works on intake pulse and may not be able to keep up. The dealer doesn't sound very competent if they just started replacing parts without a clue to what they were doing and then returned the bike to you still not working. Are they a Vespa/Piaggio dealer with Piaggio trained mechanics or just a handy shop that works on motorcycles?

A few more details about the bike and the last ride would help. How fast were you going, did it just cut out or start bucking and sputtering first? How many miles on the bike?

apriliaforum newb
    Hi Rockynv, The Scoot was serviced by the same dealer 3 months ago they fitted a new fuel filter then and I assume they would have checked the valves as it was a full service. re the last ride, I was doing around 35-40 kph no spluttering just a complete cut out as I dropped the throttle for a junction. The scoot has done 14754 km The shop I use is a piaggio trained shop.

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Immobilizer will allow start and idle on many models but will cut spark at around 2,200 rpm. Have you noticed any odd behavior in the immobilizer blink sequence of little red light on dash? Clogged carb vent tube on left side rear area of carburetor can mimic similar behavior.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum newb
    Hi Micah, All appears to be ok with the immobilizer blink rate,light goes off and stays off once I insert the key and try to start. I have the new ecu and key antenna still installed is there anything else in the system that would cause an immobilizer fault?

apriliaforum newb
    Often the kill switch will kill the engine. I have to push it hard (that's what she said) and it will usually kick back on. Starting and not revving might mean that the throttle cable is bunged up.

apriliaforum newb
    Hi LL I have tried kill switch, carb has been removed checked and cleaned and throttle cable checked for full operation, I have now sent the scooter too another dealer and am waiting his report, thanks for all replies

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Not sure how it would really be possible but a physical restriction like a wasp nest in muffler or intake will cause similar issues...long shot but...
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum newb
    Hi all, finally got to the bottom of problem, the ecu fitted at my dealer was faulty ! new ecu fitted and working fine many thanks for your assistance