Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 24hr Endurance rs50 build!

dude you crazy if you think the RS4 isn't awesome. it's a freaking baby rsv4. i would love to put all those plastics and everything on my bikes.

Get your confidence back with Aprilia.

caution: the use of motorcycles may be habit forming. side effects include purchasing multiple examples of the same bike, in different states of tune, different years, or different models altogether. some motorcycles may be not running when purchased. some parts are no longer available. there are rare instances where aprilias are bought over the internet and upon arrival, they are not as were originally disclosed. there is a small group of people who cannot handle two stroke engines and motorcycle maintenance. if this is the case, you may not be a candidate for Aprilia RS250's.

Aprilia. Ask your doctor if the RS250 is right for you.

Wink rəˈɡreSH(ə)n/

I didn't say that--I said that is was a regression from what they had in 2009. You've admitted as much previously so I don't really get why you are saying otherwise now. The 2009 bike had some really cool features that they changed with the 2010/11 bikes. And ah plastic? That doesn't make the bike. If it did we'd all be riding Hondas.

re·gres·sion
    rəˈɡreSH(ə)n/
    noun
    a return to a former or less developed state.
    • They returned to the frame from the 90s
    • They went back to a steal swing arm
    • They returned to an axial master
    • They went to an all in one rear master (less like the RSV4 than the 2009 bike)
    • They went back to side exhaust, rather than the under the tail GP style

I could continue, but ah, that supports my position firmly enough, yes a regression.

Now if you were to compare it to the 2005 and older RS sure lots of improvements--pretty much all of which showed up with the 2006-2009 bike. Better wheels. Better forks. Better front caliper. Better tires. Better engine. So yes big improvement over the early RS, regression when compared to the bike they sold in 2009.

apriliaforum Member
    Well to be fair the rs4 doesn't use exactly the same frame. There are key differences to be able to use that swing arm and fit the plastics and motor cradle. Also the rs4 125 has an under cradle exhaust not side exit. The rs4 50 has side exit.

But im stoked to see another race build! People get all bent when some one takes a rs50 off the streets. Hello that's probably the best thing you could do to these bikes! Look at the bikes here in Europe, they are trashed by kid riding every where in all weather.

so what's the first step? Motor or chassis?
    2005 Rs50 Rs4/GPR clone

apriliaforum Junkie
    Going to focus on the suspension while I look for a nice engine donor bike. There is a little Kx65 down the street that has my eye...
    Ordered some bits from AF1 to get the bike rolling while I look. Pretty sure I'll be able to fire her up in a week or so.

I've been searching threads on a rear shock but most lead to dead links or a bitubo so the search continues. Our team of fatties will murder the stock suspension.

Wink The sweet smell of reality

D--a few minor changes doesn't change the fact that it's the old style frame. If it wasn't the case you wouldn't have been able to make some minor mods to your frame to get the new parts to fit so easily. The Benelli frame used in the 2006-2009 bikes were much better modern frames, but even if you don't agree the definition states former as well, and thus it is still a regression.

With regards to building a track/race bike. Dude I have a whole thread on turning a bike into a track bike. The issue people have is taking a Unicorn, and putting it in harms way, when there are plenty of other options. And in this case there are lots and lots of options. If it was 2004 and you could go out and order an RS50 that would be totally different, but it's 2016 and you can't even get a new 50cc replica bike in the States without pulling some shenanigans. I'm not saying to keep the bike totally stock, just not to trash it by making it a track bike. And again, especially since there are so many better options.

K--finding suspension upgrades is difficult, and usually expensive. Even when there were "lots" of these bikes out there the supply was pretty tiny. Contact Benji at Treats he may be able to find you a BiTubo--he is strong with the Force. Malossi might still offer their 24 shock, and Doppler probably also made a shock for the bike. Again, I'd send a post to Benji to see what he can find for you--but do your research first, and send him part numbers.

On my 2005 GPR I did a lot of measuring, searching, moding, and was able to fit a shock from a mini MX bike (yes it is a real Ohlins). It was a lot of effort, but totally worth it. On my track bike I have a Rise Racing custom shock. You can get them to build you a shock for your bike. There are other custom shocks you can have made, or mod something from another bike. There are options as long as you are willing to spend money, and put in the time and effort to find something. Usually in the $500 to $1,000 range, maybe a bit more, and it wouldn't be hard to spend a lot more--good suspension doesn't usually come cheap.

I know Ian was kind of being a dick with his troll post, but you do realize that Speedy actually offered to trade you a REAL race bike, right? The Honda RS125 was actually raced in the MotoGP 125 class. The Aprilia RS50, no matter what you do to it, isn't going to offer you the same kind of performance that you'd get from a real race bike. Speedy's bike already has a CR80 engine in it, but if you wanted to install a 65cc engine into it you probably wouldn't have to do much work. Probably less than what you would do to the Aprilia. The Honda already has adjustable suspension, race proven geometry, race wheels that you'll be lusting after when riding the Aprilia, much better brakes, and a host of other reasons why it's a thousand times the race bike an RS50 could ever be--and this is coming from someone that doesn't particularly like the Honda corporation. Yeah the plastics on Speedy's bike are ratty, but you can find decent plastics for a Honda RS125 for under a few $100 if you look around, maybe even for $100 these days. Anyway, this is just one real option you have that is much better if what you really want is a track bike.

Name:  00W0W_dYfvQZpW2NU_600x450.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  47.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mattology View Post
    dude you crazy if you think the RS4 isn't awesome. it's a freaking baby rsv4. i would love to put all those plastics and everything on my bikes.
    :facepalm: You're crazy. The RS4 is so ugly compared to the '99-'05 RS50. To my eyes, the Mk2 RS50/125/250 and the original RSV Mille (especially '01-'02) are the best looking Aprilia street bikes ever made.

hey I am using adjustable 3 way shocks on my race bikes check out my thread for more info

yeah I want an rsv4 and I already have enough mk2's so I guess the envy is why I love the rs4

caution: the use of motorcycles may be habit forming. side effects include purchasing multiple examples of the same bike, in different states of tune, different years, or different models altogether. some motorcycles may be not running when purchased. some parts are no longer available. there are rare instances where aprilias are bought over the internet and upon arrival, they are not as were originally disclosed. there is a small group of people who cannot handle two stroke engines and motorcycle maintenance. if this is the case, you may not be a candidate for Aprilia RS250's.

Talking Lolz

That bike I was talking about is for sale again. It keeps popping up like a whack a mole--this time for $2K. Like I said pretty much everything you could do to it, and it still got its butt kicked by a little girl on a motard in the endurance race. I don't really believe it was the bike's fault, but more the riders didn't know how to ride an endurance race. Their bright idea to switch to a motard is evidence that they didn't realize that the reason they lost was them, and not the bike. Still, this bike wouldn't stand a chance against that Honda above in this thread.

Name:  00W0W_iZQaC4wTeD4_600x450.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  29.8 KB

This Aprilia RS50 race bike is fully prepped and ready to race or take to track days

Bike is not street legal and can only be used off road! Vin not in DMV records

-Professionally built CN racing 50cc motor, all bearings and seals replaced, port matched, balanced, polished, etc. 9.5 hours currently on motor since rebuild.
    -Metrakit racing transmission
    -Top Performance roller bearing clutch basket with straight cut primary gears
    -Top Performance Ergal shift drum
    -PVL inner rotor full racing ignition system
    -Top Performance 21mm intake
    -Del Orto 21mm carb kit.
    -Arrow race pipe with carbon fiber silencer
    -Domino roller bearing throttle (Moto GP125)
    -Mychron 3 data acquisition, lap timer
    -Multi tech fiberglass race bodywork (best fitting!)
    -Doppler race shock
    -Powder coated frame and swingarm
    -AF-1 top triple clamp
    -Race craft clipons
    -Galfer front steel braided brake line
    -Aprilia RS 125 front brake master cylinder

I will include a box of spares and rear stand.

Open to trades or offers. Thanks.

I kinda want that thing

Me too.

Why do you think I posted it to this list.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Clearly I live in the wrong part of the state haha. Also found another unicorn with 300ish miles https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...391949318.html

apriliaforum Junkie
    I drained the old two stroke oil and swapped in a fresh battery I found for $20 today.
    I also threw on some uh questionable pazzo lever lookalikes which were also $20.
    The levers are probably going in the spares bin since the brake lever doesn't actuate the brake as quickly as I'd like.

Waiting on my order from AF1 as I ponder making this my little road bike
    I need to convince the wife that I need another bike, a kx65 mortard might do the trick for fast and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylipso View Post
    I need to convince the wife that I need another bike
    Think you are missing the obvious ...
    You need to convince your Wife that you bought this for her.
    "Guess what I bought you, and it's Italian ..."

Maxiscoot has a rear shock that is better than the Factory unit, but only better.
    It's for sure no Penske or Ohlins but it does seem to have better overall valving and preload adjustment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Conti CHR.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	297422

Price Point kicks ass !!!

Banned
    i use the Conti CHR & ride over potholes/speed humps much faster with more comfort coz the stock motard shock was just too stiff & non adjustable. the preload adjuster tool it comes with is useless but the Conti's hard to beat compared to the £240 Malossi RS24

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2394627.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	297423
    Last edited by Clint Eastwood; 01-10-2016 at 08:39 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast