Thread: Laverda serial number archival history

apriliaforum newb

Laverda serial number archival history

Hi all,-
    I just discovered this forum. Having been a long time Laverda lover and owner as well as an Aprilia appreciator, I am fascinated with moto-history and the story of each of our Bregenza survivors. Especially, here in the states where Lavs are NOT exactly common...I am extremely fortunate to have not only acquired our second Lav, but also honored with a very good friend that did regular business with the factory back in the day. When I asked him if there was any way to possibly track down information for how our '78 Laverda 500 came to be in the US (it is a US specific model pre-Zeta with counter balancer), he inquired with his old connections. It turns out that all the production records were moved to Aprilia headquarters and presumably stored within. Unfortunately, all historical inquiries submitted to Aprilia have been met with no reply. I would've hoped Aprilia, aware of its own historic importance, would possibly accommodate other historic brands under its roof potentially garnering appreciation, respect and translated future new bike sales. Disappointing.
    Interesting note: my friend fondly remembers a very nice scooter-piloting young woman that handled visitation at the Bregenza factory and that she also kept and maintained a detailed log of every bike, serial number and dispatch that left the factory. That log book, I'm sure, is just sitting on a shelf in a storage box somewhere in a back room within Aprilia awaiting discovery to this day. Wouldn't that be cool?
    has anyone else every attempted to get similar 'birth records' for you bike? Were you successful?
    Cheers!

Wow.
    Interesting post.
    Welcome to the Most Interesting Board in the world.
    #1 Forum Magic Missile Caster

"I rode a Griso at when I used to work for Aprilia City in Melbourne. Probably the nicest bike ever" - Cosaro

1972 Laverda SF 750
    2007 Moto Guzzi Griso 1100
    2003 Moto Guzzi California Titanium 1100 - for sale

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by SF2DieHard View Post
    Wow.
    Interesting post.
    Welcome to the Most Interesting Board in the world.
    Thanks for the welcome!
    "I may not always ride, but when I do, I prefer Laverda."
    "Stay balanced my friends."

Very cool info. Unfortunately, Aprilia is little more than brand name owned by Piaggio Group. It is not the same as when Ivano Beggio was at the helm. I wish manufacturers did more to honor their existing customers, engage with them in meaningful ways to strengthen the brand and help preserve company histories. C'est la vie.