Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tuono V4 Valve Adjustment - Detailed Walkthrough

Tuono V4 Valve Adjustment - Detailed Walkthrough

Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately I've been pretty busy the last couple of months so I figured I'd just get this out there so that people can use it as needed and I can make improvements as I get time.

This is a detailed instruction set on how to check and (if necessary) adjust your valves on the V4 motor. I performed this service on my '12 Tuono V4 and wrote most of the notes from memory, but almost everything other than body work should be accurate for the RSV4 as well. Most may apply to the redesign and 1100 but I cannot confirm that. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures this time, but I'll consider adding them (I should be doing this again in a couple of days). I welcome any additions anyone wants to make (formatting, pictures, extra sections, etc). I'm very open to any corrections or suggestions anyone may have. If you do have a suggestion for an addition please PM me so that we can arrange working it into the overall document with some version control so things aren't lost.

Also - Feel free to have this posted to the tech tips subforum.

Some future planned sections are:
    Abridged instructions
    Addition of diagrams
    Addition of pictures
    Other user's tips on tool modification / etc

On that note I'll finish by saying this is intentionally very wordy and descriptive as it is meant to be a comprehensive guide. Hopefully the abridged section can cover any concerns with that.

Thanks and let me know what you think!

I appreciate jokes, off-topic comments, and thanks & whatnot - but if we can keep this thread strictly technical I think that will be best for everyone in the long run.

Click here to download:
    http://www.thefrost.net/randomfiles/...ide.v1.04.docx

Folder of past versions:
    http://www.thefrost.net/randomfiles/...lve_adj_guide/
    Last edited by fostytou; 04-28-2016 at 01:49 AM.

Reserved

Reserved

apriliaforum prov-nov
    This would be awesome. I clicked on link but it 404'd

Quote Originally Posted by Oz_Swifty View Post
    This would be awesome. I clicked on link but it 404'd
    Sorry about that. I posted the folder where you can see an index for the files and download it from there for now. I'll work on fixing the direct link (hotlink) permissions later. Thanks for catching that.

EDIT: Direct link should be all cleared up now also.
    Last edited by fostytou; 12-15-2015 at 12:05 AM.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Great! Started to do my valves. Just waiting for the tools to adjust 4 of them. Nice with some extra info next to the workshop manual!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thank you Sir!!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    This is exactly what I was looking for !!!!!
    Thank you very much !!!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by fostytou View Post
    Sorry about that. I posted the folder where you can see an index for the files and download it from there for now. I'll work on fixing the direct link (hotlink) permissions later. Thanks for catching that.

EDIT: Direct link should be all cleared up now also.
    Thanks.

Hi Everyone,

I added a few small updates to the additional info sections and even a couple of pictures! I'll add more as I can.

Will this work for the gear lock?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201327232093...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Quote Originally Posted by davidon View Post
    It is possible but the teeth you are locking on are more square than the chain/sprocket teeth and you need to lock them in a very precise location without any rocking back and forth. I would be hesitant to try using that in case the valve train spring pressure or your tightening/loosening force causes the system to rotate to an undesirable location. There will be one action on both cam banks (tightening on one, loosening on the other) that would leave that tool very unlikely to stay locked. Just the same I guess you could just use a wrench to block the gears, but I think the results would be just as undesirable.

I have thought about producing a number of the special tools and selling them but I would need some interest before I did so.

Ok.first question. Did a dry run and installed cam and crank pins. In your instructions you say

-The manual instructs you to check timing first. This is always a good idea but for brevity I’ll cover it quickly. Line up the cam pin, make sure the crank pin lines up, and look for the 3 cam dots to make sure they are meshed together (1 dot on exhaust cam gear is between 2 on intake cam gear). Now we know we are starting from the correct place.
    -After checking the timing rotate the crank roughly 360* (cam will be rotated 180*). You will NOT be able to install the cam pin without rotating the motor another 360*.

If you have the pins aligned/inserted..why not install the gear lock at that point? Why do you rotate again another 360? I thought when both pins are inserted that is when you lock the gear?

PS. For some reason the term U bolt (from the manual) is for some reason confusing to me..would rather call it a cam cap or cam retaining cap.
    Last edited by davidon; 02-06-2016 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidon View Post
    Ok.first question. Did a dry run and installed cam and crank pins. In your instructions you say

-The manual instructs you to check timing first. This is always a good idea but for brevity I’ll cover it quickly. Line up the cam pin, make sure the crank pin lines up, and look for the 3 cam dots to make sure they are meshed together (1 dot on exhaust cam gear is between 2 on intake cam gear). Now we know we are starting from the correct place.
    -After checking the timing rotate the crank roughly 360* (cam will be rotated 180*). You will NOT be able to install the cam pin without rotating the motor another 360*.

If you have the pins aligned/inserted..why not install the gear lock at that point? Why do you rotate again another 360? I thought when both pins are inserted that is when you lock the gear?

PS. For some reason the term U bolt (from the manual) is for some reason confusing to me..would rather call it a cam cap or cam retaining cap.
    The reasons you wouldn't install the gear block at that point are twofold:

1 - Because you are just *checking* the timing. Once rotated 360* where you can't insert the CAM pin into the U Bolt you should be able to go to the other side of the engine / other bank and verify that it is lined up at that time. This allows you to be sure you are starting from a correct base.
    2 - Because you can't get the second cam gear bolt out with the gear block in place. You need to start on the side of the game that is NOT in time and remove that cam bolt, then rotate to where the motor IS in time to lock everything down and continue on from there (eventually removing the second cam gear bolt).

Thanks for looking and asking!

Quote Originally Posted by fostytou View Post
    The reasons you wouldn't install the gear block at that point are twofold:

1 - Because you are just *checking* the timing. Once rotated 360* where you can't insert the CAM pin into the U Bolt you should be able to go to the other side of the engine / other bank and verify that it is lined up at that time. This allows you to be sure you are starting from a correct base.
    2 - Because you can't get the second cam gear bolt out with the gear block in place. You need to start on the side of the game that is NOT in time and remove that cam bolt, then rotate to where the motor IS in time to lock everything down and continue on from there (eventually removing the second cam gear bolt).

Thanks for looking and asking!
    So to summarize the procedure:

For rear bank

Check/insert alignment pins on stator side. Remove pins
    Rotate engine 360
    Check/insert alignment pins on flywheel side AND lock gear on stator side. Remove pins. Remove first (exposed) Cam gear bolt.
    Rotate engine 360
    Check/insert alignment pins on stator side AND lock gear on stator side. Remove pins. Remove second Cam gear bolt.

Is this right?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast