Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tuono 1100 LED Headlight Mod

apriliaforum expert KbomonFalco's Avatar

Tuono 1100 LED Headlight Mod

What can I say, I have a bit of an LED infatuation. My one gripe about the new Tuono is that it didnít have the latest in cool factorÖ.. LED headlights. Well, Iíve come up with a solution for that. Donít be scared, itís a fairly easy mod. Read on if youíre interestedÖ.

I picked these up for a whopping $40 and change. I have used the same style in a few of my other bikes , and have been impressed with how bright they are. Iíve been running them on the Falco for about nine months and have had zero issues. The Falco required a slight modification to the headlight assy. I wanted to keep the Tuono as stock as possible. I have managed to keep the fairing untouched. However, that required that the LED be modified. For $40 I could care less. I have seen a few options of this bulb. The ďNo FanĒ style with copper heat sink is what youíre looking for. I chose a ďPhilipsĒ style chip as opposed to Cree. They seem to be better quality. Although Iím sure that is somewhat subjective. Avoid getting anything over 65k color rating. Unless your into less light and purple headlights.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6028sml.jpg 
Views:	928 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	293773

First step is to remove the existing headlight cap and unplug the OEM H7 bulb connector. The bulb is removed by undoing the wire retaining clip. This clip can be slid out to give you more room. Take care not to bend said clip. Place in a safe spot, as you will be re-using it for the new bulb.

Name:	IMG_6029sml.jpg 
Views:	2108 
Size:	239.3 KB 
ID:	293774

You then want to plug in the H7 style LED voltage regulator box. Note polarity on this connection. Black is ground on both connectors. You then want to shove the connector and box into the headlight cavity, outside of the reflector housing.

Note: Itís a good idea to test the bulb along the way. For this reason you may want to change the order of doing things. I did one at a time, so the right side harness was still available.

Name:	IMG_6031sml.jpg 
Views:	1120 
Size:	181.7 KB 
ID:	293775

Itís a tight squeeze, but it will go. Take care not to be too forceful. I find it helps to hold my tongue in just the right place.

Name:	IMG_6033sml.jpg 
Views:	817 
Size:	224.2 KB 
ID:	293776

Now you want to concentrate on the bulb itself. The wiring and housing are too large to fit in the existing hole. This is where it gets a little nerve racking. Remove the two screws that secure the backshell. In this case they were two 2mm allen head screws. Being careful not to bust it into a million pieces, slowly pry the two halves apart. You want to break the halves just at the base of the heatsink.

Name:	IMG_6035sml.jpg 
Views:	504 
Size:	278.1 KB 
ID:	293772

It should look like this when youíre done:

Name:	IMG_6037sml.jpg 
Views:	557 
Size:	278.9 KB 
ID:	293777

This step is purely optional. I figured it would be good to add a certain amount of waterproofing and security to the open wiring. I used a 5 min. epoxy I had laying around and some heat shrink. Iím sure any type of RTV sealant or other suitable epoxy would work. Make sure itís not the corrosive type. It can be messy, so be careful.

Name:	IMG_6039sml.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	273.0 KB 
ID:	293778

Here is where Iím thinking it would have been a good idea to wrap the LED in plastic wrap. Doh! Take care not to make this cable to stiff. The idea is that we need to bend it so it will fit in the bezel.

Name:	IMG_6049sml.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	293779

Once the epoxy has dried, you can install the new bulb. Itís a tight fit. Take deep breaths and be patient. Cursing is perfectly fine (Just make sure your neighborhood kids arenít looking over your shoulder. I think I taught them a few new words. Ha!). Connect the two round connectors, they are keyed, and tighten the securing nut. The retaining clip is a bit tricky. I slipped it over the bulb and then slid the loop end into the slot. Once the bulb is in place, you then need to secure the two ends. Note at this point that the wiring is pushed all the way in.

Name:	IMG_6042sml.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	293781

Now spread out the copper braid and stow it inside the bezel. Try to spread it out as much as possible. This will get warm to the touch after a few minutes of operation. Like I said earlier, Iíve run these on my other bikes in the heat of summer and have seen no heat damage. I see no reason why it would be harmful on the Tuono.

Name:	IMG_6044sml.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	251.6 KB 
ID:	293782

It may be necessary to clip a little bit (maybe an 1/8th of an inch) of the copper heatsink, right on the end. Itís a tight fit, and just barely fits. Itís soft copper ,so not difficult to trim. I was able to use a set of flush cutters. Secure the headlight cap and give them a try. Remember the bike must be running for the headlights to operateÖduh
    2001 SL1000 Falco (Handed down to KbomJr)
    2000.5 RSV-R Mille (Track)
    2016 Tuono V4 1100 Factory (His)
    2016 Tuono V4 1100 RR (Hers)

I found that the LED bulb casts the exact same pattern as the OEM bulb. It does raise the beam slightly, so you will want to adjust them properly afterwards. See the comparison below. Left side is obviously the LED. No dash warnings or negative side effects. And much easier on the electrical system.

Name:	IMG_6077sml.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	293783

I didnít play with the light cap/hood inside the lens housing. They are held in by a small screw. These arenít on the older headlights. After seeing the beam pattern, I figured I wouldnít mess with it. As you can see, the LED is nice and white. Just what I was looking for! Now I need to tackle the center high beam. That looks a little more difficult. Thank you Aprilia!

Name:	IMG_6074sml.jpg 
Views:	679 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	293784

Great write up

- Tim

2015 Piaggio Fly 150 - "It's small and white?"
    2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory - holy crap
    2003 Moto Guzzi California Titanium - DungeonMaster's old steed

apriliaforum prov-nov Triggerhappy's Avatar
    Agree, nice write up.

Are these LED's aviable on fleabay or..?
    Thanks for sharing.
    Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory (EU 2015)
    Motto: Do or Die!
    Note to my self: max one bodypart on ground when driving

Very interesting, looks like a great winter project
    When the river is low they find old bones, when they plow they always dig up chains

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerhappy View Post
    Are these LED's aviable on fleabay or..?
    I bought mine off eBay, but I've seen them for sale elsewhere as well. Amazon, etc.

Do a search for "H7 2-Philips-Luxeon LED 6500K" or similar.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by KbomonFalco View Post
    What can I say, I have a bit of an LED infatuation. My one gripe about the new Tuono is that it didnít have the latest in cool factorÖ.. LED headlights. Well, Iíve come up with a solution for that. Donít be scared, itís a fairly easy mod. Read on if youíre interestedÖ
    Nice job and thanks for the write up. Unfortunately I don't think it is street legal, at least here.

First rant: yes, this bike should have come with full-LED headlights from the start.
    Second rant: the stock headlamp setup is borderline useless. Both depth, width and intensity are inadequate. The little LED light in the middle is almost as bright as the low beams; and oncoming traffic doesn't even flash back at me when I forgot the high beam up XD
    Third and last rant: even replacing the stock lamps with approved high-visibility bulbs (Philips, Osram) the headlight still sucks badly.

apriliaforum Member
    Does the Tuono come with H7 bulbs? I ordered these last spring to replace the H11 on my RSV4 Factory 2011.
    http://www.autolamps-online.com/prod...etCurrencyId=3
    Those was the only I could find in Europe at that time. I still have one spare (as I wanted to replace all 3 bulbs) if someone is interested.
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...-bulb-for-sale

Someone did Leds with a really good write on the forum

Search Tuono 1100led..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apriliaforum Member
    Here is the thread for RSV4 http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...otos-included*
    Seems to be H11 bulbs on 2009-2014 models and H7 bulbs on 2015 (probably same on the Tuono?).

Part 2. Finally got to the hi beam. See my write-up for removing the fairing. Not bad really. http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...l-With-Photo-s

I used the same LED bulbs and modified them as shown above. They fit with a little finesse.

Name:	Hi Beam LED Harness.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	323.0 KB 
ID:	302329

Name:	Hi Beam LED.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	277.3 KB 
ID:	302330

While I was at it I jumpered the low beams so that they stay on all the time. That way you get all three bulbs with HI beam selected. I'll do a write up on that later. Basically this is what I did:

Name:	Wiring Mod.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	302331

No faults reported and it works like a champ. Unlike the previous generation Aprilia's, they are now switching ground sense through the switch.

Sorry, I ran out of time to show what they look like all lit up. More to come.

Very nice I'm getting ready to do mine soon, I'll order the extra kit for the third bulb, and do it all at once..
    Great write up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apriliaforum expert MishMashRSV4's Avatar
    KbomonFalco - So after having this set up for a few months, how many miles have you put on? What I am curious about is how much heat and heat damage tucking the heatsinks into the housing is or is not doing. Seems odd to me there would be no heat damage. How hot do the heatsinks actually get?

I want to go to a 6000K level light (which these seem to be) and was hoping for a simple standard bulb switch but an H7 standard bulb does not seem to exist....so alas LED. I wish they were not so bulky out the back

Quote Originally Posted by MishMashRSV4 View Post
    KbomonFalco - So after having this set up for a few months, how many miles have you put on? What I am curious about is how much heat and heat damage tucking the heatsinks into the housing is or is not doing. Seems odd to me there would be no heat damage. How hot do the heatsinks actually get?

I want to go to a 6000K level light (which these seem to be) and was hoping for a simple standard bulb switch but an H7 standard bulb does not seem to exist....so alas LED. I wish they were not so bulky out the back
    Hey Mishmash,

I've been running the low beams for about two months. Haven't put many miles on to be honest. Plus it's not really that warm outside yet. I have however run these in the Falco for a good year. Heat of summer and all. The Falco does have a rubber back, so a bit different. But no evidence of heat whatsoever. I'm really not worried about the plastic backing on the Tuono. I've given them a grab after an extended ride and you really can't feel much heat. I ran them on the workbench for a good hour or so and the copper heatsink is still only warm to the touch. I have some fiberglass tape that I may stick on the back of the cover. I guess in theory it could eventually make the plastic a bit brittle. I agree, not the most compact option. But the best I've found so far. I personally find the results well worth the effort and possible side effects. They really look awesome. I'll try and get out one of these evenings and get some decent pictures.

Cheers, K-bom

apriliaforum expert MishMashRSV4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KbomonFalco View Post

Hey Mishmash,

I've been running the low beams for about two months. Haven't put many miles on to be honest. Plus it's not really that warm outside yet. I have however run these in the Falco for a good year. Heat of summer and all. The Falco does have a rubber back, so a bit different. But no evidence of heat whatsoever. I'm really not worried about the plastic backing on the Tuono. I've given them a grab after an extended ride and you really can't feel much heat. I ran them on the workbench for a good hour or so and the copper heatsink is still only warm to the touch. I have some fiberglass tape that I may stick on the back of the cover. I guess in theory it could eventually make the plastic a bit brittle. I agree, not the most compact option. But the best I've found so far. I personally find the results well worth the effort and possible side effects. They really look awesome. I'll try and get out one of these evenings and get some decent pictures.

Cheers, K-bom
    Just the answer I was looking for and thanks for being thorough. I think I'll give this a go

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast