Thread: Has anyone completed a Saddle Sore1000 on your Futura???? (1000mi in 24hours)

apriliaforum expert thesprocket26's Avatar

Has anyone completed a Saddle Sore1000 on your Futura???? (1000mi in 24hours)

I have been wanting to complete and obtain the recorded certificate for 1000 miles in a 24hr period on the Futura. Just wondering if anyone had an experience to share. Doesn't have to be on the Futura, but I would like to know if anyone had. Thanks.

http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/ge...nt.cfm?DocID=1
    If your idea of sport-touring is multi-position seats, cruise control and electrically-adjustable windshields, youíre probably not Italian and you donít deserve a Futura. - Kevin Duke

2001 RST1000 Futura - GSXR coil mod, Magnecore HT leads, Honda reg/rec mod, custom built twin tail mufflers, LED high beams, LED front turn lamps, LED rear brake and turn lamps, Oxford heated grips, Oberon clutch slave, fancy blue hardware bits, air horn mod, pannier stainless cable retention mod, large Odyssey battery mod, 05 fuel map

I did a Bun Burner Gold on mine. 1500 miles in 24 hours....

The SS 1000 is child's play compared to the BBG. I did my first one on my 91 Katana 600, which I still own. I did numerous 1000 mile days on my Bandit 1200 as well, and many 1000 mile days on the Futura. Key to certification is accurate records/receipts. The only true advice I can give you is to not disrupt your normal sleep routine to do it or your bio clock will be all out of whack. Good prep. Make sure the chain is in good nick and give it a spray with WD40 at every fuel stop. Good pressures in the tires as well. I tend to run higher pressures for long distance stuff to minimize wear. Use a camelback or something similar to sip during the ride to avoid dehydration and carry breakfast bars or something to nibble on to avoid hunger. If you have a throttle lock, that helps to be able to move your hands and arms around. Don't stay locked into the bike. Move around some. Make sure you can swap shields from tint to clear for light conditions. Heated gear if the weather warrants it, or breathable gear if it's going to be hot.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

Awesome, thank you!
    If your idea of sport-touring is multi-position seats, cruise control and electrically-adjustable windshields, youíre probably not Italian and you donít deserve a Futura. - Kevin Duke

2001 RST1000 Futura - GSXR coil mod, Magnecore HT leads, Honda reg/rec mod, custom built twin tail mufflers, LED high beams, LED front turn lamps, LED rear brake and turn lamps, Oxford heated grips, Oberon clutch slave, fancy blue hardware bits, air horn mod, pannier stainless cable retention mod, large Odyssey battery mod, 05 fuel map

I did over 1000 in 8, back in my younger days. Butt faired fine, but I melted my saddlebags (CBX) by running too long in full afterburner.

Bob

I agree with meanstrk. I started riding with a camelback in my tankbag when in TX.
    Still find it useful in NC. Plus a Clifbar or two. Never done a 1000 day ride. but at 70 years,
    have done a few 260+ days in TX when Fall temps in high 90's.
    Futura has best seat on 2 wheels I've ever sat on. I can sit on it for 6 to 8 hours.
    Can only do 2 hours in my Miata. Stay fit. The stock seat will serve you well.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Old thread, but my daughter and I did 1500m in 36 hours a while back... Man, maybe almost 15 years now? WTH?!?!?!? For me it was once in a lifetime thing - not "fun" by any means: sweating me a$$ off during the day, freezing at night, bugs, birds, rain, wind, etc, etc. My tips: Don't use any gear you have used for extended periods before. Amazing how a slightly short thumb on my glove can cause decent pain after a week in the saddle. Definitely get a throttle lock - mine was $20 or or and worth 5x that for long rides. If you're not in decent shape - get there. Core, neck, wrists, forearms... IIRC the Iron Butt Association has some tips on their website - I should not have ignored some of them!

apriliaforum newb
    nope, but 753 miles on 2 lane roads in 12 hours was more than enough. And right at 500 the next day.

I rode 1050 miles in 23 hours. 5 hour nap in the middle of the Mike’s. Not something I enjoyed too much but it was fun to accomplish. I’m on a trip right now above Seattle heading for Canada. Will try to post a ride report in a week.

Yes. In 2010. But undocumented.

Quote Originally Posted by spaz_666 View Post
    Yes. In 2010. But undocumented.
    Then it never happened!
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk View Post
    Then it never happened!
    I don't need a license plate frame. I know I did it. I didn't plan it. I was on a big road trip in 2010 because all these event dates magically lined up three weekends in a row in June. June 6: The Red Bull Air Race Windsor Ontario. June 13: Formula 1 Grand Prix of Canada at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuv in Montreal, Quebec. June 20: Red Bull Air Race New York.

I took my time getting out there - limiting my riding to a couple hundred miles each day - no (or minimal) Interstate Highways. Spent a few days at Niagara Falls between the Air Race in Windosr and the Grand Prix in Montreal. Stayed in Sackets Harbor, NY on the East side on Lake Ontario. Rode around the Adirondack Mountains, Vermont, New Hampshire, West Point, explored Manhattan, Ellis Island, The USS Intrepid, etc.

By the end of it, I just wanted to get home from the East coast back to the Chicago area... I thought "F-It, I can do that in one shot." So I did. I don't have the patience to document fuel stops with photos and receipts, etc.
    Last edited by spaz_666; 07-01-2019 at 05:58 PM.

apriliaforum Junkie
    PS: I highly recommend an evaporative cooling vest for long hot rides. Made a huge difference! Parts of Oklahoma, Texas, Utah, AZ... Brutally hot... Cooling vest made it much more bearable. And yes, Camelback with ICE water... OMG... I would be suffering and take a drink of ice cold water - it was amazing the difference it made. I doubt I'll ever do another ride like that, but any time I plan to ride in the middle of BFE even for a few hours, I'll definitely be making sure I have these items at the ready.

Quote Originally Posted by spaz_666 View Post
    I don't need a license plate frame. I know I did it. I didn't plan it. I was on a big road trip in 2010 because all these event dates magically lined up three weekends in a row in June. June 6: The Red Bull Air Race Windsor Ontario. June 13: Formula 1 Grand Prix of Canada at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuv in Montreal, Quebec. June 20: Red Bull Air Race New York.

I took my time getting out there - limiting my riding to a couple hundred miles each day - no (or minimal) Interstate Highways. Spent a few days at Niagara Falls between the Air Race in Windosr and the Grand Prix in Montreal. Stayed in Sackets Harbor, NY on the East side on Lake Ontario. Rode around the Adirondack Mountains, Vermont, New Hampshire, West Point, explored Manhattan, Ellis Island, The USS Intrepid, etc.

By the end of it, I just wanted to get home from the East coast back to the Chicago area... I thought "F-It, I can do that in one shot." So I did. I don't have the patience to document fuel stops with photos and receipts, etc.
    You don't have to justify anything to me. My comment was tongue in cheek.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

Ron, sorry if that came across as sarcastic, defensive, or standoffish. I wasn't trying to knock the IBA or its riders - just saying I know I did it, even if I don't have the paperwork to back it up - I simply don't have the patience to document it. All due respect to those that do.