Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stock Front Brake Rotors made Perfect for $0.00

apriliaforum prov-nov Reggie Perrin's Avatar
    once again, thanks for the tip... BUT..

I've tried all methods of cleaning the discs, to no avail....
    Simply, they're buggered....

got to approx 6.5K miles before they warped and reckon lots of track days and the trip to Spain with DP racing pads in didn't help...

not a massive expense really I suppose in the grand scheme of things... At least my insurance is dirt cheap.....!!!

Whoops... sorry... different thread.....

Reg
    Reggie Perrin

01 Mille R
    88 RC30 Mint condition
    04 CCM 644 Supermoto
    89 NC23 race bike
    79 Ducati 900SS Hailwood
    84 Yamaha RD500 YPVS

apriliaforum Junkie
    Okay Reggie.
    You may like to know Trade Direct (08705 134859)do a pair of replacement rotors and buttons to fit the original centres, and you can tweak the spring washers as you build them up to give loads of float. A pair for my exup 18 months ago was 120. One word of caution - their rotors don't work very well with EBC HH pads. Or motomecca is usually a cheap source of Brembo parts, and RSVR.net sells the original discs as well as the Brembo full floating race jobbies.
    Chris.

the spieglers were $356, I just looked at the receipt. No tweaking of the rotor springs or anything, they're real ff buttons. And they jangle over potholes when not on the brakes, but other than that, no increased noise. FYI

-if you do decide to go with them shoot me a pm so I can give you a few heads-ups regarding the install

Chris

Pics gone

Griz,

Can you repost the pictures from the initial post? They're no longer showing up.

Thanks!!
    -Chris

'17 Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory
    '15 BMW R nineT (for sale)
    '01 Suzuki GSXR1000 track bike
    '10 KTM 300 XC-W
    '13 KTM 150 XC
    Gone but never forgotten: '02 Mille, '07 SXV 5.5, '01 Aprilia RS250, '06 Ducati Monster S2R

Rotors still pulsating

Back to this issue again, I have used the above mentioned technique to free up the buttons of my Tuono, I have also freed up the cylinders in the calipers by cleaning them extensively by WD40, I also rubbed the stock Brembo pads with steel wool to be sure that they are not glazed but all these with no success. The rotors are still vibrating at above about 80km/h and I don't know what else to do before I go to my local dealer and see if can get new rotors under warranty (no big chances I think).
    Maybe changing the pads with softer organic ones (like Ferodo Platinum) or rubbing also the disk surfaces with steel wool to clear it from pads residue?
    I wonder if we are ever going to find a permanent solution to this very common problem or if Aprilia can officially explain this systematic behaviour (Clarkie maybe?)
    Reggie what did you do after all?

Sometimes the discs are warped and need to be replaced. If you replace them I would go with after market discs and that will end your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by chrman
    Griz,

Can you repost the pictures from the initial post? They're no longer showing up.

Thanks!!
    Yeah, please do so

apriliaforum Member ky_rsv_rider's Avatar
    try the pics posted here when I couldn't get them to pull up on the first thread about the buttons so I got another one started.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=50811
    Ride it like someone else is paying for it!

apriliaforum Member ky_rsv_rider's Avatar
    paulphin2002 posted these when I couldnt get the others to pull up either
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Ride it like someone else is paying for it!

I just did this mod this evening and will try them out tomorrow. I hope it's the fix, which it sounds like it will be. Thanks for this info.....

I did this and over time it became very loose and noise. I had to bent the spring partially back. there's still plenty of movement.
    Alan
    2011 KTM RC8R
    2012 BMW S1000RR (engine #2)
    2013 KTM SMT 990

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Thunder View Post
    After I cleaned them I put a drop of teflon based lube on each button(stuff called Triflo).
    I did the same but I used anti sieze compound. It's quite a bit stickier and didn't run out when heated up. Seems to have worked well. Another thing to remember is that if your caliper pistons aren't moving together, IE, inner and outer pistons pressing the pads against the rotors you'll get a pulsation at the lever also. Just another thing to check before buying a new set of rotors. Also, a buddy of mine once had a tire replaced and the shop bent his rotor carriers during the tire change. They then tried to deny that it was them and even tried to blame him using a disc lock as the cause. The resulting bent carrier felt like a warped rotor at the lever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reggie Perrin View Post
    the trip to Spain with DP racing pads in didn't help...
    I used to swear by DP pads. I used them exclusively until I realized that the compound is so abrasive that my discs were completely shot when it came time to replace the pads yet again. I don't know how many pads I'd been through by that time though. All I'm saying is that I don't think it's a good idea to run that abrasive a pad on the stock rotors. I've just changed mine out for Carbonne Lorraine SBK5 pads as the consensus seems to be that they're quite gentle on rotors.......I'll find out once I get the bike back together.....sean
    Last edited by NorCalRSVR; 05-06-2008 at 10:58 PM.

Equilibrium: The point at which the volume of wind noise equals the volume of engine noise.

The original post pictures aren't working

Not that I need this...I have the AXIS Iron full floaters...NICE!!!!
    "Tuono doesn't want to gently take your hand and guide you on a trip, it wants to rip it off and run away with it! I always get the feeling that to ride a Tuono you have to be a real man, prepared to fight it every step of the way, where as on the Triumph you can have an off day and not be left feeling inadequate"
    "Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic"

JOIN ME ONAND FOR SOCAL APRILIA GROUP RIDES & UPDATES FOLLOW ME ON

Quote Originally Posted by Beau1K View Post
    The original post pictures aren't working

Not that I need this...I have the AXIS Iron full floaters...NICE!!!!
    Look on the 2nd page in this thread for the pictures.

I just did this to my brakes. I had been getting a slight pulse when coming to a slow stop. Nothing in the higher MPH after I cleaned the buttons. I also de-glazed the rotors at the same time since I had them off. Boy am I glad I did. I never though I was lacking bite and power to stop, but now that I have done this, looking back it is crazy what I was missing. The wobble or pulse from the brakes has also gone away from the button trick, although a side affect is the noise that the rotors make over bumps. I would rather have a little noise here and there than pulsing, weak brakes. Everyone who is thinking about trying it, should do this FREE mod .
    '04 RSVR Factory
    '03 Mille (sold)
    '01 WR426F
    '01 Gs500E(wifes) Sold
    '03 TTR225(wifes)
    http://www.noahbrownconstruction.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast