Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stock Front Brake Rotors made Perfect for $0.00

I bent mine, too. Rattles like crazy (good thing) and feels great.

hmmmmm

mine are pulsing also. keeps coming back.

could this be the fix??
    ~kevin

silver '02 mille

apriliaforum Junkie vp rsvmille's Avatar
    I did this rotor buttons mod before I went to ride at Philip Island in March this year and yes it fixed the problem by about 90%. I still get pulsating from front braking at highspeed (we're talking a difference of pulsating at 80km/h to now happening at about 150-160km/h).

I used to notice the problem a lot on street riding but have not felt it anymore (except on track where brakes get used a lot more often).

One other suspect is too much compression dampning causing some minor hydraulic locking in the forks.

I noticed this same problem on a brand new 04 Factory at Philip Island too (only slightly better than my modified rotor buttons).
    VP in the Land of Oz

There are only 10 types of people in this world that understand the binary language - those that do, and those that don't.

Yes...STM are the ones. A little pricey, but hey I'm worth it!

I don't have any pics. Let me know if you want me to take some.
    AB the anti-post-whore
    '06 YZ450F

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive we tie a rope around their necks and hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours." - Sir Charles Napier

"Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - George Orwell

nice post, griz! i've been looking for a fix like this. i'm getting real tired of the pulsing.......can i suggest posting this on the falco forum? i don't know how to do it. i'm sure they / we would appreciate it.

apriliaforum Member
    I finally got to go for a ride. The rotors feel like new! I tried the 2 pieces of wood trick and couldn't get it to work. The other way worked fine. Anyone not wanting to spend $300 per rotor should try this. It works. Thanks for the advice.

apriliaforum Junkie

Question dumb ass question....

What is the benifit of having the rotors giggle? Could this add extra wear to the rotors over time (at the buttons)? Just trying to understand braking more. Thanks guys!

When the rotors "jiggle", The pads will seat against the rotor surface more evenly, causing better braling due to more contact surface. It will also wear more evenly due to more contact surface.

apriliaforum Junkie
    makes sense to my now. Thanks

good post
    sconly

www.nedr.org
    for riders by riders

apriliaforum Junkie

Thumbs up

I went ahead and gave this a try. And so glad I did!!! The increase in stopping power is amasing! Thanks for the great tip!

I've never had a problem with my buttons seizing or had any pulsing from the brakes but went ahead and did this mod anyway.
    I did a trackday saturday and this was the first test I had done sinse I had done the buttons.
    The brakes have got a lot more power and feel now than they ever did before.Its alot easier to carry brakes into the corner and feel what its doing.
    I didn't notice any extra noise from the rotors,probably cause I've just swapped from the evo box over to the renegade.Christ how noisy is that.
    Just to add,very loose buttons seem to be the way to go.A guy I know runs a zx6rr in the endurance races over here and he's got a set of modified discs that came from france.There are about 4-5 times looser than you can get the brembos and they seem to work really well.

reggie check out spiegler. I went with their DIY kit (you re-use teh stock carriers and put on new swept area with full floating buttons) big improvement in feel and power. I'm super pleased, for about half the price of new ff iron rotors.

http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/dys.cfm

edit- I did this because despite religous cleaning of the buttons my rotors warped out at 3000 miles. Dissapointing, but I have much better brakes now, and that's a good thing

apriliaforum prov-nov Reggie Perrin's Avatar
    Thanks for the tip 20hz..

just a bit of a warning for you guys who have done this already... I made my discs full floating and have that satisfying jingle of discs at low speed.. So much in fact that other riders all point and think my brakes are about to fall apart..

the problem comes at low speed when filtering or at junctions.. My brakes ahve started to make a horrible sort of screeching noise which I can only think is the disks moving about, the problem is much worse when leant over..

Not a really big problem but be aware that it happens and it's loud and unpleasant sounding...
    And YES, I do have a race can (Art straight through) and I can still here it.....

I think the only solution for me now is new rotors or complete new discs...
    Just missed out on a set of cast iron rotors from a 916SP on Ebay, that would be the best way forward....

Had a quick lesson at the weekend... never mix superbike power and poor memory... forgot that roundabout was there..... Glad the brakes are very good.....!!!!!!
    Reggie Perrin

01 Mille R
    88 RC30 Mint condition
    04 CCM 644 Supermoto
    89 NC23 race bike
    79 Ducati 900SS Hailwood
    84 Yamaha RD500 YPVS

apriliaforum Junkie
    Reggie, Before you fork out for new rotors clean the current ones up with wire wool or fine wet & dry, then give 'em a good squirt of brake cleaner. De-glaze your pads or fit new ones and Robert's your Mum's brother!
    Chris.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast