Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bats ReStoration 50 Named "Marco"

Bats ReStoration 50 Named "Marco"

Stumbled across this sad, badly neglected Aprilia RS50 and couldn't resist trying to save it from the junkyard to ride once more!

Our role as preservationists, in this small American 50cc world, will be put to the test as we try and get this endangered species back in its natural habitat.

Jenius Biker Blog

Current: RS250³,Newd, TT, Max, Nastro, Bangkok, 85 ADV

Past:Versys, Typhoon, NCXD, RC390², Madass, PW50, KTM BR 65, Aprilia BR50, Aprilia RS125², DRD, WR250X, Derbi SM⁷, Aprilia RS50¹⁰, Derbi GPR³, Aprilia RS250², Mito², NSR50², NS50, HRC RS125, HRC RS80, YSR63 (1st 2stroke!), FZ600, KLR250(1st Bike!)

I Need Parts!

Sub'd looking forward to see your progress

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Sorry for the wait fellas, but I have a ton of projects going on at the same time. I have managed to procure a few tasty bitz for the upcoming build and am in the process of moving bikes around to make room for this project.

Since the bike has "high miles" for an RS50 the entire motor will get a rebuild as part of the restoration. Here is the tried and true pink Top kit, Polini bearings/seals, and Motoforce race crank.

Name:  IMG_6670-754378.JPG
Views: 428
Size:  115.0 KB
    Jenius Biker Blog

Past:Versys, Typhoon, NCXD, RC390², Madass, PW50, KTM BR 65, Aprilia BR50, Aprilia RS125², DRD, WR250X, Derbi SM⁷, Aprilia RS50¹⁰, Derbi GPR³, Aprilia RS250², Mito², NSR50², NS50, HRC RS125, HRC RS80, YSR63 (1st 2stroke!), FZ600, KLR250(1st Bike!)

I Need Parts!

Finally got Bats L.A. up here this past weekend to help get Marco on the operating table!

Here it is arriving at the Bat cave in its saddest state

After a little degreasing and disassembly it was ready for the operating table

Once on the table we removed the motor in preparation for a full Bats signature rebuild!

Jenius Biker Blog

I Need Parts!

looks about as bad as my bike that has been sitting under a tarp in the rain and sun for 5 yrs lol I just started redoing mine a month ago and parts finding and delivery is a slow process. Good luck

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ting-for-5-yrs

Chad

Quote Originally Posted by twinturba View Post
    Finally got Bats L.A. up here this past weekend to help get Marco on the operating table!

Here it is arriving at the Bat cave in its saddest state

After a little degreasing and disassembly it was ready for the operating table

Once on the table we removed the motor in preparation for a full Bats signature rebuild!

Spent some time on Marco today preserving parts for reuse on the restoration.
    First I pulled the upper fairing off to disassemble and assess what parts can be salvaged.
    The fairing itself is in good condition, but faded so that might be replaced with one from the bat cave or I might refurbish it.

As you can see the windscreen will definitely need replacing.

The one bright spot of the entire bike was the mirrors which cleaned up nicely and appear to have been painted gloss black. These were cleaned up and will be reused in the final reassembly!
    Here is a side by side comparison of before and after cleaning.

The headlight was pretty disgusting upon removal, but after a deep cleaning its in good condition and will be reused.
    Here are some before and after shots

Jenius Biker Blog

I Need Parts!

Finished up the tail.
    Before:

After:
    Brand new stainless clips!

Put the pieces together!

And finally place on the bike for reference!
    Jenius Biker Blog

I Need Parts!

Lots to do up front on poor old Marco:

The biggest task here is going to be the forks thanks to these nasty rust spots on the fork tubes:

Having been in the Aprilia RS50 scene for over 16 years, I happen to have another set of RS50 forks from RCR's old track bike. The only problem was they were modified to fit a larger axel for accommodating an RS125 wheel so I need to swap the tubes over to the old lowers. Here is a side by side of both sets of forks:

On top of having a firmer spring and thicker oil, there was this custom length spacer. This looks a lot like the AF-1 kit and it's going on Marco so I will have to come up with a rear shock to match.

What a mess!

My "custom" Nylon tube protector!

Completed and installed on the bike!

Also put on a new top triple clamp I had laying around!
    Jenius Biker Blog

I Need Parts!

Finished up the other fork today and managed to make an oily mess of it!
    Name:  IMG_7073-705597.JPG
Views: 337
Size:  103.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_7074-707325.JPG
Views: 335
Size:  110.5 KB

And they are in place!
    Name:  IMG_7078-708790.JPG
Views: 369
Size:  53.2 KB

In my attempt to finish up the front end of the bike during this long weekend I also started refurbishing the dash.
    Here is the dash in all it's faded, disgusting glory!
    Name:  IMG_7075-711823.JPG
Views: 337
Size:  121.4 KB

The Speedo and temp cleaned up nicely, but the tach was so faded you couldn't read the aprilia under the needle, but luckily I have quite a few spares in the bat cave so that was swapped out. All I have to do now is find a replacement foam surround and this part is ready to go back on the bike!
    Name:  IMG_7077-714352.JPG
Views: 339
Size:  113.9 KB
    Jenius Biker Blog

I Need Parts!

Nice work !
    2000 Aprilia RS 50 Tetsuya Harada replica

Nice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Started the restoration process on Marcos upper fairing. As of now the plan is a light coat of matte black, some new decals, and then a light coat of matte clear coat.

Halfway Done:

Done with Decal removal, next will be a little paint prep and then a light coat of matte black. You may also notice I left the rs50 decal on the front.....I am planning to keep it as an original detail for the bike.
    Jenius Biker Blog

I Need Parts!

Worked on the controls today. Lot's of little details to address on this bike so it's definitely taking more time to sort everything out, but I think the end result will be worth it!

First up was the ignition surround. I had already cleaned up the one on Marco, but didn't like the fact that the printed information was missing. Luckily, I happened to have a spare ignition from one of our old race bikes so I popped the plastic surround off and replaced it with the near new looking one from the spare. Small detail, but makes the difference!

Looks right at home in all its glory!

No pics of the other tedious work, but I replaced the handle bars with nice and straight ones, nearly new stock grips, both sets of switches, and the broken brake lever all from spares I had laying around.

Just for reference her is what it looked like before! Notice that I also sanded, primed and painted the gauge/fairing support in nice black enamel. Also note that these were shot with my iPhone 6+ which I lost last week so the above shots are from an old iPhone 5 that I'm using until the 7 comes out

Jenius Biker Blog

I Need Parts!

I got bored with the chassis stuff so splitting the cases helped break the monotony a little! Haven't done this for a few years, but I have a lot of experience, the right tools, the shop manual, and the two stroke master Jedi Carlos (if needed) to make it as easy as possible.

First up, a look at some of the "special" tools from the Bats collection!

First one in action is the CN Racing custom made clutch holder tool that he made from old clutch plates and box steel. That sweet tool and a 19v impact wrench makes removing the clutch bolt a snap!

The next tool comes in handy for removing the nuts on the main and balancer gears its just a little V with the perfect size "nubs" to fit inside the holes in the gear. We used to wedge a dime in between the gears for years before finding this tool!

Next up is just a regular old puller to get the balancer gear off. It might be a little overkill, but it makes the removal easy, safe, and won't damage the gear.

With the clutch out of the way its time for my own custom wood blocks to come out for supporting the motor while separating the cases.:teeth The metal plate with a bolt in the top looking thingy is actually the Aprilia factory case separating tool.

That tool, plus a wrench, and love taps from my trusty rubber mallet make splitting the cases so much easier than all the other methods we used to employ when first splitting cases 10+ years ago!

Cases split, hopefully I can start rebuilding soon!

Jenius Biker Blog

I Need Parts!

After riding around the city on RC I decided to spend a little more time on the Heart of the Beast today. I Managed to get the main bearings with seals installed and the crank installed into the left case to prep for assembly soon.

First I had to get the old seals out which was made so much easier with the right tool, the $10 Lisle seal puller. This thing pops them right out with very little effort. Although it is available on Amazon I went to a local tool spot appropriately called Tool Mart which is family owned and gave it to me for a nice crispy $10 bill.

I will have to take a quick trip to another local spot, Bearing Agency, to pick up these other seals for the motor before putting everything together.

I have a brand new set of factory seals for the bike which can be seen here, however I will be using the sweet blue seals that came with the Polini Bearings. I will use that new O-Ring from the factory set.

Here is the case sans bearing and seal, ready for the new bits.

Here is the magic weapon I use to coax the bearings out and make way for the new ice cold ones....It's the Storm!

Here is the new bearing in place. Sign of the times, old bearings were made in France and these new ones Taiwan.

Before installing the new crank I was planning to match the cases, but The rose top end lines up so darn well there isn't anything to match. See for yourself!

Installing the crank into the left side case is made easier with this Aprilia factory tool. There was a steel washer with this at some point over the years, but as since run away and was substituted with some scrap aluminum I had laying around.

Crank and Seal in place!

Sweet looking Motoforce Race crank!

Ready to assemble the transmission and get this beast back together!

The operating table in all it glory
    Jenius Biker Blog

I Need Parts!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast